WRC Bulgaria July 9-11 talk/results spoiler** - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on WRC Bulgaria July 9-11 talk/results spoiler** within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; WRC Saturday wrap: Loeb leads, but Solberg fastest Sebastien Loeb continues to lead Rally Bulgaria at the end of the ...

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

Cool

WRC Saturday wrap: Loeb leads, but Solberg fastest

Sebastien Loeb continues to lead Rally Bulgaria at the end of the second day, but all eyes were on another Citroen C4 WRC this afternoon as Norwegian Petter Solberg dominated the timesheets to win each of the three stages.

The Citroen Total World Rally Team had been warned of potential storms on the stages this afternoon and rather than risk being caught out on an unsuitable hard compound Pirelli tyre, the French squad elected to send Loeb out on soft rubber. In the end, the rain didn’t arrive, but the six-time champion made it safely back to service - and with an extended advantage over team-mate Dani Sordo.

Sordo ran with hard tyres at the front of his C4 and soft compound at the back. The compromise made it tricky for the Spaniard to fend off Solberg’s advances. He departed service with a 26.8-second advantage and returned just 4.7 seconds ahead of the 2003 world champion.

At the head of the field, Loeb was relaxed about his position. “Everything is perfect,” he said. “The tyre was not the right choice, but it was the safe choice for me this afternoon. It made sense to do this. The tyre worked well, it was moving about and that changed the handling of the car a little, but it was okay, I could adapt to it.”
    Sordo wasn’t quite so relaxed about the diminishing gap between steps two and three of the provisional podium.

“We had some understeer from the car running it with the tyres like this,” he said. “It wasn’t easy, but if the rain had come we could have made the advantage - we were carrying two spare soft tyres. It’s just a shame the rain didn’t arrive.”

Asked if he was confident for the final-day fight with Solberg, he replied: “I’m looking forward to the battle, it’s always interesting to fight.”

Solberg was on top form after his string of scratch times, but he insisted he wouldn’t be getting carried away. “We’ve got to remember that a podium result is the thing I am chasing here. I’m not going to go mad - but it’s been a good afternoon. We made some changes to the suspension at service mid-way through today and I have the real confidence in the car now. I could go fast before, but now I can fly.”

Click : wrc.com/saturday wrap

---------------------------------------

J-WRC Saturday wrap: Neuville in control in JWRC battle

Thierry Neuville holds a commanding overnight lead of the Junior World Rally Championship section of Rally Bulgaria.

With four stages remaining on Sunday, the 22-year-old from Belgium heads Dutchman Hans Weijs by 51 seconds as he closes in on his first victory in the young driver category.

Neuville, who took the class lead from Mathieu Arzeno with a rapid time through Saturday’s first stage, enjoyed an almost trouble-free day in his Citroen C2 Super 1600, although the loss of brakes and a wild slide on today’s final test caused him some concern.

“I made a good start and I think [Mathieu] Arzeno felt the pressure after that,” said Neuville. “I don’t feel any pressure - I just need to keep my lead and avoid any mistakes. Winning tomorrow would be very important for me after not scoring on the first two rounds.”

Arzeno, who topped the J-WRC standings after day one, lost time with a puncture on Saturday’s second stage before he crashed into a wall two stages later and damaged his C2’s rear suspension to the extent he was unable to continue.

His misfortune promoted Weijs into second place, despite the Dutchman’s co-driver, Bjorn Degandt, losing his voice on the day’s first stage, which forced Weijs to drive much of the 27.46-kilometre Sestrimo stage without the benefit of pacenotes. His C2 was also struck down by an alternator glitch, which he managed to rectify in time for the final stage.

Click: wrc.com/saturday JWRC wrap

ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Day 3

SS11: Solberg fastest on Sunday's opener

Citroen privateer Petter Solberg was the fastest driver through Sunday's opening test in Rally Bulgaria, narrowing the gap on second-placed Dani Sordo to just 3.8 seconds with three stages of the rally to go.

Sordo was Solberg's closest rival through the 29.53km Muhovo test, with another Citroen C4 WRC driver, Sebastien Ogier, rounding off the top three times. Rally leader Sebastien Loeb was fourth quickest to remain comfortably out front.

After Saturday morning's rain and fog, competitors left the Service Park under clear skies today and in a warmer temperature of 21 degrees Celsius.

The dry conditions made tyre choices straightforward, with all but one of the WRC drivers opting for Pirelli's hard compound PZero tyres. The exception was Ford driver Jari-Matti Latvala, who ran the soft-compound option to test a different set-up on his Focus RS WRC.

Click: wrc.com/Bulgaria SS11 News

---------------------------------

SS12: Stage win gives Sordo the upper hand

The fight for second place in Bulgaria swung back in Dani Sordo's favour on SS12, when a stage win for the Spaniard meant he extended his lead over Petter Solberg to more than six seconds.

Solberg was Sordo's closest rival though the stage, but said he had adopted a cautious approach when his car felt nervous on dirty sections of asphalt.

Sebastien Loeb was third quickest and will take a comfortable 33 second lead into this afternoon's two final stages. Before that, crews return to Dolna Banya for a 30-minute service.

Click: wrc.com/Bulgaria SS12 News

Last edited by Weasel 555; 07-11-2010 at 12:44 AM.
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    SS13: Leaders clear the penultimate hurdle

There were no upsets for the leading drivers on the penultimate stage of Rally Bulgaria, with overall leader Loeb taking a 29.4 second cushion into the final stage and the battle for second still raging between Dani Sordo and Petter Solberg.

Despite nearly stalling at a hairpin corner near the finish line, Petter was the fastest driver through SS13 - trimming Sordo's advantage to 5.5 seconds before the decisive repeat pass through the 17km Slavovista.

Click: wrc.com/Bulgaria SS13/News

Sebastien Loeb wins Rally Bulgaria! , Citroen 1,2,3,& 4 !

Citroen C4 WRC driver Sebastien Loeb sealed victory on Rally Bulgaria today, round seven of the 2010 World Rally Championship, to extend his lead in the FIA Drivers' standings and head a record breaking formation finish for the French manufacturer.

Loeb, the defending and six-time World Champion, led the rally from beginning to end and finished 29.5sec ahead of his team-mate Dani Sordo who was second in another C4 WRC.

After a tense final day battle for second, Citroen privateer Petter Solberg had to settle for third, 6.8sec behind Sordo. Sebastien Ogier brought his C4 WRC home in fourth place to complete a 1-2-3-4 for Citroen - the best world championship finish for a manufacturer since Toyota scored a similar result on the 1993 Safari Rally.

Click: wrc.com/Loeb Wins

Championship Standings:
    Click: wrc.com/Championship Standings

Next Round: Neste Rally of Finland 29-31 July

Neste Oil Rally Finland is one of the most popular events on the WRC calendar. It’s also regarded by many people as 'the spiritual home of rally'. You only have to look at a WRC start list to see why...

The rally is a fast gravel affair, with high-speed runs along tree-lined tracks peppered with fast, flying ‘yumps’ that demand absolute, balls-out commitment.

Rally Finland is based in the bustling student town of Jyvaskyla, located in the lake district area in the centre of the country. To win here, you need a savvy combination of tactical nous, smooth and efficient technique and flat-out commitment to cope with the high speeds, fast kinks and mammoth jumps that litter the smooth, loose surface stages.

Over the years, the event has been dominated by the Scandinavians. They're used to driving on roads like these since they were knee-high to a grasshopper. That local experience counts.

New for 2010
    Neste Oil Rally Finland will commemorate its 60th anniversary in 2010 with a brand new city-based Super Special stage in Jyvaskyla and a revised itinerary that ends on Saturday night, rather than the more usual Sunday.

Official Website: nesteoilrallyfinland.fi

Last edited by Weasel 555; 07-24-2010 at 12:42 AM.
    "All We'll Drive"

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

Cool

Chris Patterson scoops WRC award

Petter Solberg's new co-driver, Chris Patterson, has been presented with the 'Abu Dhabi Sprit of the Rally' award for Rally Bulgaria after an outstanding team debut which netted him his best finish yet in the WRC.

The Northern Irishman was chosen to be Phil Mills' replacement just two weeks before the rally and had only two days of pre-event testing with Petter to prepare for his competitive debut with the team.

Once the rally started, however, the pair's performance belied their lack of practice together and by Saturday afternoon the Patterson-guided Solberg was in the thick of the fight for second with Dani Sordo.

Patterson's impressive start alongside Petter made him a worthy recipient of the award, created by Abu Dhabi Tourism Authority (ADTA), and presented at each WRC round to mark an outstanding feat of leadership, integrity, respect or teamwork.

Chris Patterson Q&A

Two weeks after your first ride with Petter you're spraying champagne on a winners podium with him. Not a bad start, then?
    "It’s been a real roller-coaster the last week two weeks. Two weeks ago I was sitting at home reading my Sunday papers and last Sunday I was sitting at the press conference after Rally Bulgaria with champagne in my shoes... It’s been a great experience, though. It’s been great working with Petter and with the team."

How nervous were you before the rally started?
    "Very, and I think Petter was too. But we both put a lot of work and effort in, and after a couple of kilometres on the first stage we found a rhythm. Thankfully, Petter put his trust in me and I put my trust in him. After that it was just a case of keeping my head down and reading the notes."

How do you feel about winning the 'Abu Dhabi Spirit of the Rally' award as well?
    "I'm genuinely very honoured. You know, it's a special thing. 'Spirit of the rally' - it feels good and I hope we showed a bit of rally spirit."

Petter's a big character out of the car - but what's he like when you’re on the stages?
    "Once the door shuts he's the most motivated, passionate guy I've met in the whole of my life. And if it wasn't for his dedication the team wouldn't be here today. It’s an honour to be part of it, and to be along for the ride."

Your working relationship with Petter is only three days old - are you up to full speed together now as driver and co-driver, or is here more to come?
    "There's definitely more to come. In this sort of job you’re never ever finished. During the rally we learned something new every day and that process will continue. We're both of the opinion that we'll never stop trying to improve - and we'll push ourselves hard to do the best we can."

You've set the bar high for the next rally in Finland - do you feel some extra pressure?
    "There's no pressure. We've got a really good team supporting us and they’re brilliant at taking that pressure away from me so I can focus on doing my job. My job is to read the notes and in Finland and I’ll do that to the best of my ability. It’s a rally I've done four times before, and of course we'll have Petter's notes from before, so that will be a help."

Click: wrc.com/Chris Patterson scoops award

"All We'll Drive"

Thanks for all your updates and the added extras!
    Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Steven Wright

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12