WRC Jordan - April1-3 talk/results spoiler**

This is a discussion on WRC Jordan - April1-3 talk/results spoiler** within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Next Round 3: WRC Jordan April 1-3, 2010 Official Website: jordanrally.com/wrc_2010/ . Less than a month after conquering the high-altitude ...

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

Cool WRC Jordan - April1-3 talk/results spoiler**

Next Round 3: WRC Jordan April 1-3, 2010

Official Website: jordanrally.com/wrc_2010/

Less than a month after conquering the high-altitude stages of Mexico, the FIA World Rally Championship regulars return to action on the Jordan Rally for round three of the 13-event series.

Although the Middle East rally is described as a gravel event, the stages could not be more contrasting to those experienced in Mexico at the start of March.

While most of the tests in Mexico were held 2000 metres above sea level, the majority of the stages in Jordan, although undulating, are actually beneath the level of the sea. And because a large chunk of the Jordan Rally route is held on purpose-built stages blasted into the desert rock, the hard road surface is more akin to a sharp marble edge, unlike the gravel and boulder-strewn tracks found on most loose-surface events on the WRC calendar.

As well as the punishing stage surface, crews will have to compete in ambient temperatures approaching 30 degrees centigrade, which will put a huge onus on driver fitness and car reliability. The high temperatures will also compromise outright engine performance and require drivers to conserve their tyres, particularly when stages are repeated, due to the likelihood of increased wear as they pass over the demanding terrain.

Based 420 metres below sea level by the banks of the Dead Sea, the Jordan Rally joined the WRC for the first time in 2008 after running successfully as a candidate rally for the previous two years. The event enjoys enthusiastic support from the Jordanian royal family, led by HRH Prince Feisal, who was a driving force behind the event becoming a round of the WRC.

Click: wrc.com/index=Countdown+to+the+Jordan+Rally

ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What did I miss?
    Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Steven Wright

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Sorry for late results ...was at my nephews wedding in sunny Scotland

---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------

Ford hits back in Jordan

BP Ford Abu Dhabi team boss Malcolm Wilson has spoken of his satisfaction after Jari-Matti Latvala completed the opening day of the Jordan Rally with a lead of more than half a minute.

The factory Ford squad arrived in the Middle East anxious to get revenge for its disappointing showing on Rally Mexico in early March. With Latvala leading after going fastest on three of Thursday’s seven stages and with team leader Mikko Hirvonen firmly in contention in fifth place, the Ford team has done just that.

“It was a dream day,” said Wilson. “We lead the rally, we set fastest stage times and both factory cars ran faultlessly. I can’t ask for any more. We devised what we believed was the right strategy ahead of the longest day on Friday and with Jari-Matti leading and Mikko in fifth, we tried to cover all possibilities.”

Wilson is now braced for more tactical jostling on Friday when the rival Citroen team is set to step up its bid for glory.

“We believe we’ve given our drivers the best possible chance to win this rally and they both know what they’ve got to do,” said Wilson. “But it’s going to be close and there’s no telling who is going to win this rally.”

It was also another strong showing by Ford in the Super 2000 World Rally Championship, which is running in tandem with the main WRC event in Jordan. Bernardo Sousa is currently first with Xevi Pons second in a similar Fiesta S2000.

Click:wrc.com/jsp/index=Jordan

Last edited by Weasel 555; 04-02-2010 at 08:54 AM.
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Day 2

SS8: Hirvonen crashes out

Ford team-leader Mikko Hirvonen retired from Friday's competition in the Jordan Rally after crashing on the opening Suwayma test.

The Finn, who was fifth overnight, crashed 4.5km from the start, clipping a bank with the front right-hand corner of his Focus RS World Rally Car, then ricocheting across the road into another bank and breaking his car's left-hand front suspension.

With his car's left-hand front wheel hanging off, the Finn had no option but to retire from the day. He hopes to restart as a SuperRally entrant on Saturday.

The stage was won by Sebastien Loeb, who moved ahead of Sebastien Ogier into second overall. Hirvonen's team-mate Jari-Matti Latvala set the fifth fastest time to keep the overall rally lead by a margin of 28.5sec.

Click: wrc.com/jsp/index=NewsSS8

WRC Friday wrap: Epic battle in prospect for Jordan Rally final day

The final day of the Jordan Rally promises to be another epic with less than 30 seconds covering the top three pilots after Friday’s six special stages.

Sebastien Loeb, the defending world champion, holds a 24.6-second advantage over Citroen Junior Team driver Sebastien Ogier following a determined showing in the Middle East.

But with Ford’s Jari-Matti Latvala a mere 3.1 seconds adrift of Ogier and strongly placed to attack Loeb due to his more favourable road position, there’s plenty still to play for on the third round of the world championship.

However, Mikko Hirvonen won’t be in the thick of the battle tomorrow following his crash on the opening stage of the day, which left his Ford Focus with damaged suspension and forced him to retire. He plans to restart on Saturday under SupeRally regulations.

“It has been a good day for me,” said Loeb. “Each time in the long stage I got a very good time and that was the difference I could make today. I tried to attack because I didn’t like to use strategy. Maybe it could have been better for me to be just behind him, I don’t know. But we are in the lead and I will try to push hard to keep the gap tomorrow but I know it won’t be easy.”

Loeb started the day 31.8s adrift of Latvala. But with the young Finn having to carve a line through the loose surface gravel by running first on the road, Loeb had little difficulty making inroads into Latvala’s advantage.

Click Read More: wrc.com/jsp/index=Friday_wrap_up

Last edited by Weasel 555; 04-02-2010 at 08:55 AM.
    "All We'll Drive"

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    P-WRC Friday wrap: Flodin leads into the final day

Sweden’s Patrik Flodin overcame a broken anti-roll bar link on his Subaru to arrive at the end of day two of the Jordan Rally with a 23-second lead over his Production Car World Rally Championship rival Armindo Araujo.

Flodin won four of the day’s six stages to more than double his lead in the P-WRC category - but that lead was over Araujo rather than Martin Semerad who held the runners-up spot at the end of the opening day.

Czech driver Semerad made the perfect start to this morning, winning the first run through Suwayma to take a second out of Flodin’s advantage. But that was as good as it would get for the former Pirelli Star Driver. His dream of a maiden win at the highest level of Group N rallying disappeared with a rear differential problem aboard his Mitsubishi. His strongest performance in the P-WRC came to an end when he finally retired from day two in stage 11.

That left the fight for the win between Flodin and Araujo. Despite his advantage, the Impreza driver, who won the opening P-WRC round in Sweden, said there was no chance for him to back off through the final day.

Click: wrc.com/jsp/index=PWRC

---------------------------------------------------

S-WRC Friday wrap: Pons clear in front in Super 2000 battle

Xevi Pons is on course to land his second victory in the Super 2000 World Rally Championship this season after reaching the finish of day two as the only registered S-WRC driver to have completed all 13 stages run so far.

The Spaniard started the day 12.1 seconds behind overnight leader Bernardo Sousa but took top spot on the first Jordan River Stage when Sousa had to slow to avoid a dog that had wandered onto the stage and when a fly entered his Ford Fiesta’s ****pit and caused him to lose concentration.

Despite those setbacks, Sousa was still in contention for first place until he rolled his car onto its side after going off the road on a right-hander on the final stage of the day. He was able to recover but punctured the left-rear tyre sliding along the ground.

Realising he wouldn’t make it back to final service unless he replaced the damaged wheel, he was forced to stop on the road section to make the change, only for a suspected fuse problem to prevent his car’s engine from restarting. Sousa’s time delay dropped him to third behind Michal Kosciuszko and leaves Pons with a lead of more than nine minutes heading into day three.

Click: wrc.com/jsp/index=SWRC

"All We'll Drive"

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Day 3

-----------------------------------------------
    SS17: Loeb well placed at Saturday midpoint

Another stage winning performance from Sebastien Loeb on SS17 moved the Frenchman further ahead in the Jordan Rally as Saturday's competition reached its midpoint.

With just the repeat loop of the morning's stages still to run, Loeb leads Ford driver Jari-Matti Latvala by 37.8sec, while Petter Solberg, in a Citroen C4, is third, 20.8sec further back.

Click: wrc.com/jsp/index=News_SS17

"All We'll Drive"

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

BREAKING NEWS: Sebastien Loeb wins the Jordan Rally!

Citroen C4 WRC driver Sebastien Loeb sealed victory on the Jordan Rally today, round three of the 2010 World Rally Championship, to extend his lead in the FIA Drivers' standings.

Today's win was the 56th at World Championship level for Loeb and co-driver Daniel Elena.

Loeb, the defending and six-times World Champion maintained his healthy overnight lead throughout Saturday's eight stages to finish 35.8sec ahead of Ford driver Jari-Matti Latvala who claimed second in a Ford Focus RS WRC.

Citroen privateer Petter Solberg finished third, 1min 11sec behind Loeb in another Citroen C4 WRC.

Click: wrc.com/jsp/index=Loeb_Wins_JordanRally

"All We'll Drive"

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    WRC wrap: Loeb takes dominant Jordan win

Sebastien Loeb has notched up his first Jordan Rally win after a dominant performance on the final day of the third round of the World Rally Championship.

The 36-year-old Frenchman was fastest on four of Saturday’s eight special stages in his Citroen C4 WRC to take his second victory of the 2010 season and extend his advantage at the top of the drivers’ classification to 25 points over Finn Jari-Matti Latvala, who finished second.

“It’s been a good rally for us and with a 31-point lead over [archrival] Mikko Hirvonen it means it has been a good start to the season,” said Loeb. “I really had to go flat-out because Jari-Matti was going very fast and made me push to the limit all of the time.”

Commenting on the tactics employed by the Citroen and Ford teams to influence the road position order during the rally, Loeb added: “Tactics are part of the game and it’s down to the teams to do what they want with it. I am just the driver.”

Latvala, who is celebrating his 25th birthday today, was the leading Ford Focus runner home in second place after an error-free performance. He had started the day 27.7 seconds adrift of Loeb in third overall but moved into second place when Sebastien Ogier incurred a 50-second time penalty for leaving first service late when the Citroen Junior Team said his C4 refused to start.

“I am quite pleased with second but also a little disappointed we didn’t have the pace to compete with Sebastien,” said Latvala. “What has happened with the tactics on this event is now history.”

Click: wrc.com/jsp/index=Loebtakeswin

-------------------------------------------------
    S-WRC wrap: Purposeful Pons wins again in the Super 2000 category

Xevi Pons claimed his second win of the inaugural FIA Super 2000 World Rally Championship season with a purposeful performance on the Jordan Rally.

Driving a Ford Fiesta S2000, the Spaniard moved in front on the first run through the Jordan River stage on Friday morning. And he made the most of his experience to stay out of trouble on the demanding sun-baked gravel stages to move clear in the title standings.

Although a competitive field of S-WRC runners had assembled in the Middle East, Pons faced limited competition during the closing stages of the event after several of the fancied frontrunners hit trouble on Thursday’s opening day. Indeed, Pons and Bernardo Sousa, in another Fiesta, were the only drivers still in contention for victory after day one.

But when Sousa was excluded for receiving outside assistance to enable him to reach final service on day two after an electrical problem cut his car’s engine, Pons was left in the clear.

Click: wrc.com/jsp/index=SWRCwrapup

---------------------------------------------
    P-WRC wrap: Flodin holds on for victory in Jordan

Patrik Flodin survived a late scare to secure his second win of the season in the Production Car World Rally Championship with victory in Jordan.

Flodin was leading the category by more than two minutes heading into the penultimate stage. But with less than five kilometres of the stage remaining his Subaru Impreza’s rear cross member failed and he completed the Shuna stage, plus the final 10.83-kilometre Baptism Site stage, with two buckled rear wheels.

“I never thought I wouldn’t win because I knew if I drove carefully I would be okay,” said the Swedish driver. “Fortunately the road was quite flat and smooth for the last two stages and I had no problem keeping my lead. This is now the fifth rally that I have won this season so I am very happy.”

Click: wrc.com/jsp/index=PWRCwrapup

-------------------------------------------------
    Championship Standings:
    wrc.com/jsp/Standings_2010

"All We'll Drive"

Sure not a lot of fanfare here on the WRC since Subaru withdrew. Thanks for all the updates and Petter on the podium again was nice to see.
    Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Steven Wright

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Subaru is still in PWRC tho running Group N Cars ala Flodin, Arai etc
    "All We'll Drive"