best turbo for time attack on a built STI motor.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on best turbo for time attack on a built STI motor. within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; currently I have a tz55 putting down 400whp on pump and am thinking about putting on a gt35r or the ...

best turbo for time attack on a built STI motor.

currently I have a tz55 putting down 400whp on pump and am thinking about putting on a gt35r or the hta35r this is for a high speed track.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 28psi View Post
    currently I have a tz55 putting down 400whp on pump and am thinking about putting on a gt35r or the hta35r this is for a high speed track.
    Does the sanctioning body specify homologated parts?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Does the sanctioning body specify homologated parts?
    It is a fully built motor except stock manifold.

I Support ClubWRX
    It is a fully built motor except stock manifold.
    Does the sanctioning body specify turbos are free? If not, the answer is up to them really.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Does the sanctioning body specify turbos are free? If not, the answer is up to them really.
    no just a turbo for hobby racing time attack style at the track by my house. dont have the money to get into time attack racing full time unfortunately maybe when i win the lotto :-)

I Support ClubWRX
    If you are already making 400 hp you have spent quite a bit of money. So you want more - have you found someone locally with a rotated 35 setup to talk with?

EDIT: Do you have a link to a map or info on your current turbo?
    Last edited by SD_GR; 03-08-2010 at 05:21 PM.

If you are already making 400 hp you have spent quite a bit of money. So you want more - have you found someone locally with a rotated 35 setup to talk with?

EDIT: Do you have a link to a map or info on your current turbo?
    nope this is my first time on forums, not sure how others are doing with a rotated 35r (i hope they are making gobs of power), oh and yes no expense was spared the car was originally put together by lachutte performance in canada, and now the car is being retuned (with accesport instead of the ecutek software i originally had) with the new turbo (gt35r) at PRE performance. My brother who drives a evo 9 is telling me i will experience too much turbo lag, but I beg to differ. also was considering meth inj. instead of a e85 tune because e85 isnt really close by to my house. Is meth bad or good for an engines health?

I Support ClubWRX
    Is meth bad or good for an engines health?
    In an of itself it's not usually the issue. The issue sometimes is that to reach the point where people start using methanol there is already stress on the motor. In any case you are setting up a track car so the worries about meth on the street do not apply.

PRE have an excellent reputation here, BTW.

Whether turbo lag is going to be an issue for you has to do with the bends you are taking and the gearing you are using also.

In an of itself it's not usually the issue. The issue sometimes is that to reach the point where people start using methanol there is already stress on the motor. In any case you are setting up a track car so the worries about meth on the street do not apply.

PRE have an excellent reputation here, BTW.

Whether turbo lag is going to be an issue for you has to do with the bends you are taking and the gearing you are using also.
    Yea I have been to a few shops in the area including surgeline and was way more comfortible with PRE follow up and hands on approach to teaching me new things and helping me better understand how stuff works, their knowledge was very impressive! the engine should be able to take around 600hp, Maybe meth is not needed, Because I feel like I have got to a point where how much more money can i possibly put into this thing hahaha or maybe my girlfriend is just getting to me hahaha (nags me all the time about how I spend more time with my car than I do her)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 28psi
    Is meth bad or good for an engines health?
    As SD_GR said, meth isn't bad itself. The issue usually comes from too much stress on the system like he mentioned as well, or from a system failure. Since you run leaner AFRs / increased timing when spraying, if something happens to the system and you stop spraying, things could go wrong.

With that said, meth is a great at detonation resistance (knock kills motors). You can tune the car so it uses it mainly to resist knock, and gain a small amount of power. Tunes like that, which aren't heavily reliant on the meth, will have a better chance at withstanding a system failure than a tune that's balls-out.

If you go the route of meth, make sure you have quality gauges (e.g., Defi, Greddy, Omori) to monitor what's going on - boost, EGT, WBO2 (e.g., Innovate Motorsports / AEM), and meth flow at a minimum.

Since you'll be racing: oil temp, oil pressure, and water temp (even though there's one stock, it's "vague") would be good to have as well.
    Last edited by EJ257; 03-09-2010 at 05:54 AM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.