advise sought

This is a discussion on advise sought within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I am thinking of getting an '09 or newer wrx to replacr my '07 Miata. I know that it will ...

advise sought

I am thinking of getting an '09 or newer wrx to replacr my '07 Miata. I know that it will be faster but I am unsure about the handling. I drove the stock wrx and even though the steering ratio seemed fine it did not feel as conected as the Miata. So how will things like the strut bar and under body brace assist in tightening up the steering feel? Other suggestions? I will occasionally track the car. If anyone has personal comparrison experience with both cars it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    sway bars, end links and drive train mods like rear diff bushings, anti lift kit, those type of things really help the WRX. The 09 WRX is deffinately a better handling car than the 08 but in my opinion they dont handle anything like the 02-07 stock in my opinion.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    sway bars, end links and drive train mods like rear diff bushings, anti lift kit, those type of things really help the WRX. The 09 WRX is deffinately a better handling car than the 08 but in my opinion they dont handle anything like the 02-07 stock in my opinion.
    I replaced the springs and sways in my Miata with Eibach prokit parts and it was a very relevant difference. Have you driven a Miata for comparison?

I Support ClubWRX
    Yea I have driven many. I personally dont like them.

You are going to want to lower the 09 as well but Id wait til there are other companies making good springs for the 09.

Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    Yea I have driven many. I personally dont like them.
    Besides not having an engine, okay not much of an engine, what did you not like about them?

You are going to want to lower the 09 as well but Id wait til there are other companies making good springs for the 09.
    Besides not having an engine, okay not much engine, what did you not liek about the NC miata?
    Last edited by kschwartz; 02-22-2010 at 03:15 PM. Reason: restoring lost content

I Support ClubWRX
    Size, fit/finish, brakes, power.

Id rather have an STi, S2000 or my Z06. I understand all of which are more costly than a miata but even if you went with a WRX I feel it drives and handles better than a miata. My personal opinion.

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    hard to compare the two- one is a very light light RWD, the other a heavy AWD- two very different beasts, both can be made to handle pretty well, but they will not handle the same

if it's going to be track car the Miata will be cheaper to run- tires are cheaper, pads are cheaper, upgrading parts are cheaper, etc, etc

the WRX is fine as a track car, but the additional speed combined w/ the weight makes it tough on brake components and tires

I choose a WRX (#3 for me) as I live in a northern clime and the AWD is very advantageous during our long winters- if I lived in a sunny/warm clime w/ no winter, I might very well choose another car

the WRX is the quintessential "jackknife" car IMO- it does everything- works great to haul folks and gear (4 doors and hatch or trunk), gets around great in inclement weather, handles well, has good power

if you need a car that does some of those things, I don't think you'll be disappointed, if your thinking I want to replace my Miata for a different track car- you could be disappointed
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    hard to compare the two- one is a very light light RWD, the other a heavy AWD- two very different beasts, both can be made to handle pretty well, but they will not handle the same

if it's going to be track car the Miata will be cheaper to run- tires are cheaper, pads are cheaper, upgrading parts are cheaper, etc, etc

the WRX is fine as a track car, but the additional speed combined w/ the weight makes it tough on brake components and tires

I choose a WRX (#3 for me) as I live in a northern clime and the AWD is very advantageous during our long winters- if I lived in a sunny/warm clime w/ no winter, I might very well choose another car

the WRX is the quintessential "jackknife" car IMO- it does everything- works great to haul folks and gear (4 doors and hatch or trunk), gets around great in inclement weather, handles well, has good power

if you need a car that does some of those things, I don't think you'll be disappointed, if your thinking I want to replace my Miata for a different track car- you could be disappointed
    Thanks for the input. I had a 2000 BMW M coupe Great engine but the suspension couldn't keep up and the steering felt connected but was slow at lower speeds.

I had a 2004 S2000 Great suspension and steering and the engine was great but only over 6k RPM.

The Miata is everything you say it is in terms of light, nimble and inexpensive to maintain. But it has little utility or engine but is fun to drive fun even at low speeds.

When I drove a WRX the steering and the suspension did not feel as connected as the Muiata. So I am wondering how nimble the WRX can get with out completely rebuilding the suspension even thought the handling balance will be quite different. I have never had an AWD car.
    Last edited by kschwartz; 02-22-2010 at 08:47 PM. Reason: add content

I Support ClubWRX
    You could deck the car out in driveline bushings and add sways/endlinks for probably $1500 or less and it will completely change the feel/responsiveness of the WRX
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    You could deck the car out in driveline bushings and add sways/endlinks for probably $1500 or less and it will completely change the feel/responsiveness of the WRX
    This could be a good way to go. I found that when I had an S2000 I had no desire to change anything. My "07 Miata needed only springs and sways to make it handle very well on a track but still comfortable for road trips.

I see that the factory offers options on a front strut tower bar and underbody brace as well as STI transmission and enging mounts. Ha anyone used these things that can tell me how they work?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by kschwartz
    I see that the factory offers options on a front strut tower bar and underbody brace as well as STI transmission and enging mounts. Ha anyone used these things that can tell me how they work?
    Engine/transmission mounts are great.

Here's an FAQ of different driveline mounts/bushings you can do:
    Driveline Mounts/Bushings FAQ

If you purchased everything in that thread, it would run you $500-600 if memory serves me correct.

I'd skip the strut tower brace. Sways/endlinks would be a much better purchase.

The underbody "H-brace" might be useful, but chassis bracing may bump you into a higher class in motorsports competition.

UNYSOC

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    the 08-10 WRX needs dampers first and foremost- a set was dyno'd and they were barely adequate for the oe springs

when I put my Koni's in it was different car, the Koni's are not a great plug & play solution, but there are some Bilsteins around the corner that will be

because the WRX/STi is used in rally competition they (Subaru) offer a full compliment of Group N bushings/mounts- these are nice as they are still rubber (just a higher durometer)- no harshness like you might expect from poly bushings/mounts- not many manufacturers off that kind of line up

while the aftermarket isn't as extensive as for the Miata, it's still pretty good- from reasonable springs/dampers to full out race ready coilovers- your covered.

you've owned (own) a lot of nice cars- the WRX might not offer the raw performance of those cars, but when properly tweaked it handles very nicely.

utility- yeah it has that in spades
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Engine/transmission mounts are great.

Here's an FAQ of different driveline mounts/bushings you can do:
    Driveline Mounts/Bushings FAQ

If you purchased everything in that thread, it would run you $500-600 if memory serves me correct.

I'd skip the strut tower brace. Sways/endlinks would be a much better purchase.

The underbody "H-brace" might be useful, but chassis bracing may bump you into a higher class in motorsports competition.
    More good information. Thanks for the most informative link. I don't remember the steering rack bushings being a factory offering so that would need to be done after purchase. The other things could be installed at the factory. I was thinking about the front tower brace as when I used one in the past it tightened up the steering on that car, an RSX. I don't race so changing class doesn't matter. I just track for my own education and enjoyment so the underbrace may still be a good thing. Sway bars and endlinks would be for sure.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by kschwartz
    More good information. Thanks for the most informative link. I don't remember the steering rack bushings being a factory offering so that would need to be done after purchase. The other things could be installed at the factory. I was thinking about the front tower brace as when I used one in the past it tightened up the steering on that car, an RSX. I don't race so changing class doesn't matter. I just track for my own education and enjoyment so the underbrace may still be a good thing. Sway bars and endlinks would be for sure.
    The issue with "factory upgrades" is that you end up paying interest on them for the life of the loan if you don't pay cash - what would've been $200 (the engine/transmission/dogbone mount is about that at my dealership), turns into a lot more.

Buy the factory parts outright and install them yourself or if you can't, pay a shop to do it (it'll still be cheaper than the interest)

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    the 08-10 WRX needs dampers first and foremost- a set was dyno'd and they were barely adequate for the oe springs

when I put my Koni's in it was different car, the Koni's are not a great plug & play solution, but there are some Bilsteins around the corner that will be

because the WRX/STi is used in rally competition they (Subaru) offer a full compliment of Group N bushings/mounts- these are nice as they are still rubber (just a higher durometer)- no harshness like you might expect from poly bushings/mounts- not many manufacturers off that kind of line up

while the aftermarket isn't as extensive as for the Miata, it's still pretty good- from reasonable springs/dampers to full out race ready coilovers- your covered.

you've owned (own) a lot of nice cars- the WRX might not offer the raw performance of those cars, but when properly tweaked it handles very nicely.

utility- yeah it has that in spades
    I have been fortunate to have owned a series of nice cars but can only have one at a time. I suppose there are worse ways to indulge an obsessive compulsive disorder. Anyway, I would like to have to do as few post purchase mods as possible but it is good to know that there is a good selection of aftermarket parts available.