F1 2010 talk / results etc ..all in here - Page 7
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on F1 2010 talk / results etc ..all in here within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Jerez F1 test times - day four: 20 February Reigning F1 World Champion Jenson Button puts his new McLaren-Mercedes MP4-25 ...

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Jerez F1 test times - day four: 20 February

Reigning F1 World Champion Jenson Button puts his new McLaren-Mercedes MP4-25 on top of the pile for the first time as pre-season 2010 testing wraps up at Jerez in southern Spain

Full lap times at the conclusion of day four of testing at Jerez in Spain.

1. Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes 1m 18.871s 108 laps
    2. Robert Kubica Renault 1m 19.114s 117 laps
    3. Kamui Kobayashi Sauber-Ferrari 1m 19.188s 117 laps
    4. Vitantonio Liuzzi Force India-Mercedes 1m 19.650s 80 laps
    5. Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1m 20.061s 130 laps
    6. Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1m 20.436s 137 laps
    7. Jaime Alguersuari Scuderia Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m 21.053s 139 laps
    8. Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault 1m 21.194s 87 laps
    9. Nico Hulkenberg Williams-Cosworth 1m 21.919s 137 laps
    10. Timo Glock Virgin-Cosworth 1m 22.433s 28 laps
    11. Jarno Trulli Lotus-Cosworth 1m 23.470s 141 laps

Weather: Dry and cool.
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    USF1 co-founder and team principal Ken Anderson finally breaks the financially-troubled F1 2010 newcomer's silence - by admitting that the team has approached the FIA to be allowed to miss the first four grands prix of the forthcoming campaign

The FIA should say no. If they can't make the first race they aren't good enough for F1. They'll just be rolling road block when they actually do decide to show and race with all the teams who have had testing sessions and 4 races to develop the cars.

I'm sure they will work something out though.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    ^i hear u.

----------------------------------------------------

How F1 2010 looks post-Jerez

The second of two pre-season tests at Jerez saw eleven of the 13 teams take to the track, with Lotus turning the first wheels with its new T127.

The four days of running saw Jenson Button post the quickest time for McLaren having benefitted from running on the final day, when conditions where the best they had been for the Spanish outing. Indeed, the five of the top six times were all posted on the final day, with Mark Webber's fourth quickest time being the exception; the Australian's fastest lap being set on day three.

Weather conditions during the four days mean times need to be taken with a pinch of salt, with Sebastian Vettel, Lewis Hamilton and Felipe Massa amongst the drivers to end the test well down the combined times thanks to the fact they completed their programmes on the wet opening days. Vettel's best time was only twelfth quickest overall, but was fastest on day one. Rubens Barrichello ended the time with the second slowest lap, despite being the quickest man on track on day two.

Perhaps a better indicator of the progress being made by the teams comes in the number of laps logged during the Jerez test, with Williams completing more laps than anyone with the new FW32. Nico Hulkenberg was the busiest man on track as he managed 275 laps, ahead of Ferrari's Fernando Alonso and Toro Rosso's Jaime Alguersuari.

Interestingly, Lotus completed more than double the laps of fellow newcomers Virgin on its first outing on track as the latter dealt with issues on the VR-01 during the week. In fact, Jarno Trulli's 141 laps on the final day was nearly as many as Timo Glock and Lucas di Grassi managed between them over the full session.

Lotus has now managed more running in its first test than Virgin has completed in two tests in Spain.

Combined testing times – Jerez:

1. Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes 1m 18.871s
    2. Robert Kubica Renault 1m 19.114s
    3. Kamui Kobayashi Sauber-Ferrari 1m 19.188s
    4. Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault 1m 19.299s
    5. Vitantonio Liuzzi Force India-Mercedes 1m 19.650s
    6. Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1m 20.061s
    7. Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1m 20.115s
    8. Jaime Alguersuari Scuderia Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m 21.053s
    9. Nico Hulkenberg Williams-Cosworth 1m 21.432s
    10. Michael Schumacher Mercedes 1m 21.437s
    11. Adrian Sutil Force India-Mercedes 1m 21.939s
    12. Timo Glock Virgin-Cosworth 1m 22.433s
    13. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault 1m 22.593s
    14. Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 1m 23.017s
    15. Felipe Massa Ferrari 1m 23.204s
    16. Sebastien Buemi Scuderia Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m 23.322s
    17. Pedro de la Rosa Sauber-Ferrari 1m 23.367s
    18. Jarno Trulli Lotus-Cosworth 1m 23.470s
    19. Lucas di Grassi Virgin-Cosworth 1m 23.504s
    20. Heikki Kovalainen Lotus-Cosworth 1m 23.521s
    21. Paul di Resta Force India-Mercedes 1m 25.088s
    22. Vitaly Petrov Renault 1m 26.237s
    23. Rubens Barrichello Williams-Cosworth 1m 27.145s
    24. Fairuz Fauzy Lotus-Cosworth 1m 31.848s

Laps completed – drivers:

1. Nico Hulkenberg Williams-Cosworth 275
    2. Fernando Alonso Ferrari 269
    3. Jaime Alguersuari Scuderia Toro Rosso-Ferrari 259
    4. Robert Kubica Renault 217
    5. Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes 209
    6. Rubens Barrichello Williams-Cosworth 207
    7. Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault 202
    8. Nico Rosberg Mercedes 201
    9. Michael Schumacher Mercedes 190
    10. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault 173
    11. Felipe Massa Ferrari 164
    12. Kamui Kobayashi Sauber-Ferrari 145
    13. Jarno Trulli Lotus-Cosworth 141
    14. Sebastien Buemi Scuderia Toro Rosso-Ferrari 136
    15. Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 129
    16. Vitaly Petrov Renault 115
    17. Timo Glock Virgin-Cosworth 110
    18. Paul di Resta Force India-Mercedes 109
    19. Vitantonio Liuzzi Force India-Mercedes 104
    20. Heikki Kovalainen Lotus-Cosworth 98
    21. Adrian Sutil Force India-Mercedes 97
    22. Pedro de la Rosa Sauber-Ferrari 85
    23. Fairuz Fauzy Lotus-Cosworth 76
    24. Lucas di Grassi Virgin-Cosworth 34

Laps completed – cars:

1. FW32 Williams-Cosworth 482
    2. F10 Ferrari 433
    3. STR5 Scuderia Toro Rosso-Ferrari 395
    4. W01 Mercedes 391
    5. RB6 Red Bull-Renault 375
    6. MP4-25 McLaren-Mercedes 338
    7. R30 Renault 332
    8. T127 Lotus-Cosworth 315
    9. VJM03 Force India-Mercedes 310
    10. C29 Sauber-Ferrari 230
    11. VR-01 Virgin-Cosworth 144

Click: crash.net/f1/news/157062/1/how_f1_2010_looks_post-jerez

ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333 View Post
    The FIA should say no. If they can't make the first race they aren't good enough for F1. They'll just be rolling road block when they actually do decide to show and race with all the teams who have had testing sessions and 4 races to develop the cars.

I'm sure they will work something out though.
    Just pull the plug and move on, already!

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA - Moderator - Fun Drives and North Central States
    The Morris Garage
    2008 Outback 2.5XT Ltd __2002 WRX Wagon __ 1958 MGA Roadster __ 2008 smart Cabrio __ and a few scooters...

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    USF1 backer confirms exit

Potential title sponsor Locstein AG has confirmed that it will not be a part of the USF1 programme.

As rumoured earlier this week, Swiss investment concern Locstein AG has decided to withdraw its backing for the ailing USF1 operation, potentially hammering another nail into the project's coffin.

The news was confirmed via a brief press statement from Locstein headquarters, and suggests that the company got cold feet waiting for developments from the Carolina-based F1 hopeful. Speculation had linked Locstein to a possible title sponsorship role, despite the presence of YouTube founder Chad Hurley as a major figure in the USF1 story, but may have been deterred from taking its involvement further by suggestions that Hurley was looking to take his investment elsewhere.

“As a matter of course, Locstein evaluates a variety of business opportunities around the globe, including sponsorship in F1 racing," the official statement confirmed, "Locstein did engage the USF1 team regarding sponsorship but, when it was apparent that the team was not able to participate in the entire 2010 season, Locstein elected to withdraw from further involvement with USF1."

While diplomatically wishing 'the USF1 organisation the best of luck in their endeavours', it now remains to be seen whether Locstein does indeed opt to remain in pursuit of an F1 relationship, and whether it decides that that should be with an established outfit or another start-up, such as Campos Meta, which continues to be linked with Hurley.

read more: crash.net/f1/news/157138/1/usf1_backer_confirms_exit

.--------------------------------------------------------.

other USF1 news:
    Lopez's Campos switch to herald USF1 merger?

ose Maria Lopez's place on the Formula One grid for 2010 could be confirmed within the next 24 hours, but not with USF1 as originally thought as rumours linking him to fellow newcomer Campos Meta intensify.

The Argentine was the subject of the last 'good news' to emerge from USF1's Carolina headquarters and, with increasing speculation that the Peter Windsor/Ken Anderson operation is faltering in its bid to join the motorsport elite, now appears set to take his valuable backing - estimated at $8m - to its Spanish rival. The driver's manager, Felipe McGough, confirmed that a deal could be struck as early as tomorrow [Thursday] - and could even bring the two struggling teams together.

“We had six hours of meetings with the investors of the USF1 and the new owners of the Campos Meta team,” McGough told Spanish radio station Cadena 3 Cordoba, “We discussed the possibility of a merger but, most important, is that, whatever the outcome, Jose Maria is included in the project.”

read more:
    crash.net/f1/news/157120/1/lopezs_campos_switch_to_herald_usf1_merger
    Last edited by Weasel 555; 02-24-2010 at 06:19 AM.
    "All We'll Drive"

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Mystery surrounds Sauber's absence from entry

Sauber's absence from the latest entry list for this year's Formula One campaign has sparked rumours that moves are afoot to get the ambitious Stefan GP outfit a spot in the field for 2010.

Although Peter Sauber's return as eponymous team owner following BMW's much-publicised exit from the top flight at the end of last season has been ratified by the FIA, neither the Swiss outfit or drivers Kamui Kobayashi and Pedro de la Rosa appear in the governing body's season guide [see here] - while Jose Maria Lopez's name does feature alongside that of Bruno Senna in the slots allocated to the Campos Meta team, even though he has yet to sign a deal with a team that has yet to hit the track!

While Sauber's absence may be nothing more than an oversight, YallaF1 suggests that it may say more about the state of the sport's newcomers than the health of Sauber itself. Reports claims that by omitting the Swiss team, the FIA could be preparing to admit Stefan GP in place of either Campos Meta or USF1, which appears to be in worse health than its Spanish counterpart after apparently losing the support of various backers. Lopez, who was reported to be taking $8m to the Carolina-based operation is now rumoured to be on the verge of a switch to Campos Meta - hence his inclusion alongside Senna on the entry - amid speculation that he could even unite the hitherto unseen newcomers for 2010

read more:
    crash.net/f1/news/157121/1/mystery_surrounds_saubers_absence_from_entry

"All We'll Drive"

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Report: USF1 team not dead yet, may miss early races

USF1 has already entered the terminal vortex – that is the swirl of rumors, silence and denials that leads everyone casting pitiful glances at some entity, thinking "You stink of death." The team didn't say much when everyone was wondering what was happening, but in motorsports, everyone knows what that means: they don't have money.

Now team principle Ken Anderson has come out and admitted that the organization has financial issues and is said to be speaking with the FIA about missing the first four races of the season. His take is that "We have a timeline in place that if we get a decision quickly [granting the right to miss races], that triggers funding and we're good to go." He also clarifies that YouTube honcho Chad Hurley is still backing the team. A disgruntled employee, on the other hand, has a different take, writing to Autosport magazine that workers were told the team had funding for three years, and that the recent upheaval has led to the departure of ten of the 70 employees.

If something definitely good doesn't happen for USF1 in a matter of hours, the next phase will be the zombie zone, when a thing is still technically alive but everyone regards it as dead. Another sponsor has ended its partnership with the team, driver Jose Maria Lopez is still contracted but said to be on the verge of joining Campos F1, and the rumors of Hurley's bolting to Campos still resound. Good luck finding jockeys to jump on that horse, guys.

As we understand it, even if USF1 does get FIA approval, it still doesn't even have a car. Anderson said he wants to show up at the Spanish Grand Prix in Barcelona on May 9. If the FIA granted Anderson his wish today, USF1 would still have just 70 days to finish building a car and get it crash tested – and find two paying drivers to pilot it. And then, with no in-season testing, we can only surmise they'd show up on for Friday practice and be ridiculously off the pace. At this point, even if USF1 does survive... who wins?

Click: autoblog.com/2010/02/25/report-usf1-team-not-dead-yet-may-miss-early-races/

.not looking too good imho
    "All We'll Drive"

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    That is a real bummer. Thanks for the update though.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

^s3xAy ^

Sometimes, speed equals safety. Perhaps nowhere else is that more true than on a racetrack when you're piloting the so-called safety car and you've got a pack of Formula One cars riding up your tailpipe. Good thing, then, that the newest safety car to be used for F1 duty is the 571-horsepower Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG.

Interestingly, that tailpipe is the only mechanical change made to the SLS AMG to bring it up to Official F1 Safety Car specs. Mercedes-Benz left everything else on the car, including the engine, suspension and carbon-ceramic brakes, stock. Not that you won't be able to tell the difference between the Safety Car and a standard Gullwing – a new carbon fiber hood with front-mounted camera, rear number plate with a camera and 700 LEDs and an "aerodynamically optimised roof light bar" (for the first time using all LEDs) ensure nobody can miss this particular SLS AMG.

For what it's worth, the SLS AMG replaces the SL63 AMG, which had been the Official Safety Car for the previous two seasons. Again, the F1 Safety Car will be piloted by former DTM driver Bernd Maylδnder. Also, the Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Estate (that's wagon to us Americans) will serve as the Official F1 Medical Car. Let's hope that one doesn't see too much track time, eh?

Click/Press Release: autoblog.com/2010/02/26/mercedes-benz-sls-amg-f1-safety-car-unveiled/

Last edited by Weasel 555; 02-26-2010 at 01:51 PM.
    "All We'll Drive"

I Support ClubWRX
    This car looks so much better than the disastrous SLR McLaren that it's a night/day difference IMO. Such a good move by Merc.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    USF1 seek 2011 F1 deferral, dash Stefan GP merger

Financially-troubled American newcomer USF1 has reportedly sought a year's deferment from the FIA to be able to make its F1 debut in 2011 - whilst scuppering a merger bid from Serbian rival and 2010 hopeful Stefan GP

USF1 has reportedly asked the FIA if it can defer its top flight entry until the 2011 world championship campaign – a move that, if accepted, might pave the way for Stefan GP to join the grand prix grid in 2010, after the under-fire American operation scuppered a 'merger' bid from its Serbian competitor.

According to authoritative US-based website SPEED TV, USF1 team principal Ken Anderson and YouTube co-founder Chad Hurley – the North Carolina-based outfit's primary shareholder – have offered to pay the FIA a 'substantial, seven-figure' surety bond in evidence of their intention to race in 2011, though whether this will prove enough to convince the governing body of their seriousness is unclear.

FIA race director and technical chief Charlie Whiting visited USF1's Charlotte factory last week to survey the outwardly shambolic situation, and the contents of his report could be the key to whether the team lives to fight another embattled day – or dies a sorry, and somewhat prolonged, death.

According to the BBC, having chronically underestimated the level of funding required to compete at the highest level, the team is still some two months away from having its first car ready – hence its earlier request to be allowed to skip the opening four 'flyaway' races of 2010. USF1 reportedly has only a team manager and a sole mechanic by way of a race team, disgruntled suppliers on-hold and unpaid employees.

Click: crash.net/usf1/deferral

"All We'll Drive"

At least they are finally admitting there is a problem that will effect their plan for racing this season.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333 View Post
    At least they are finally admitting there is a problem that will effect their plan for racing this season.
    They've not admitted the real problem yet IMO. Money is just one aspect. A fundamental issue is that North Carolina no longer has ties to the UK.

Look at Force India. They bought something almost as turn-key as one could hope for in F1, and within two seasons they got a pole and scored points too when GF finished 2nd at Spa. Even with a name like "Force India" they did the right thing though -- hint: Silverstone is not in India. It's somewhere else...

As much as I'd love to see a "local" US team, I have to admit that in the relatively recent past, when just a driver decided to stay in the US while attempting to campaign F1, things didn't go all that smoothly (remember the younger Andretti alongside Ayrton). I'd still love to see a US-based team though, so I'm hoping.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Did you see Pitpass' logo last week? Harsh!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fai1.jpg  

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA - Moderator - Fun Drives and North Central States
    The Morris Garage
    2008 Outback 2.5XT Ltd __2002 WRX Wagon __ 1958 MGA Roadster __ 2008 smart Cabrio __ and a few scooters...

I Support ClubWRX
    Ouch!
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.