F1 2010 talk / results etc ..all in here - Page 4
Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on F1 2010 talk / results etc ..all in here within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Interesting I didn't know Petrov was driving for Renault. I don't the livery is very attractive. Looks like a banana ...

Interesting I didn't know Petrov was driving for Renault.

I don't the livery is very attractive. Looks like a banana sponsored by dewalt tools
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I like it, it reminds me of their civil servant days (when the FR gov't owned more than its current 15% share).

I like how the front top wing planes "float" on the inboard end, not being connected to the nose cone directly but using small leading edge pylons. The nose also has its own drop skirts.

Also look at how the side skirts extend straight back, beyond the rear suspension, and onto the wheels basically. Compared to the rest of the car, the rear wing looks almost simplistic, and that IMO implies two things: the rules are restrictive, and the money is in the rear diffuser.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

They have a "virtual tour" up now with the diffuser blurred out though. It is nice that you can see the wheels again those covers ruined the look of the last couple of cars.

vtF10
    FORZA FERRARI

Cool Toro Rosso launches its "first" F1 car: the 2010 STR5

Big deal, you say? Another F1 car, you say? Well it's a big deal in Faenza, where Scuderia Toro Rosso is based. That's because, in accordance with new regulations, this is the first car designed and built entirely in house since Red Bull acquired the team in 2005.

The STR5, then, might as well be called the STR1, because its predecessors were all designed by its sister team Red Bull Racing. Now STR's on its own, and this is the sword it will wield for the 2010 Formula One World Championship. Like other teams, Toro Rosso designed its car around the double diffuser which it adopted after a clarification to the rules mid-season last year. Also like its competitors, the STR5 abandons the KERS regenerative braking system, but takes on a bigger fuel tank in light of the new ban on mid-race refueling.

read more: autoblog.com/toro-rosso-launches-its-first-f1-car-the-2010-str5/

gallery: autoblog.com/gallery/2010-scuderia-toro-rosso-str5/
    Last edited by Weasel 555; 02-02-2010 at 07:34 AM.

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    good looking car hope they have a good season
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Sauber launches a sober C29 for the 2010 F1 season

There's no easy way to design and build a new F1 car, but the road to Valencia has been longer for the Sauber team than its competition. The team quite nearly missed the chance to race this year after BMW withdrew its support and a subsequent deal to sell the team fell through. But team founder and namesake Peter Sauber managed to get the funds together to buy his team back, and after narrowly acquiring a spot on the 2010 grid, this is the first fruit: the Sauber C29.

Technically, the team still bears the BMW Sauber moniker, but it's not the Bavarian automaker's engine under the cowling: it's Ferrari's. The name game is simply a formality. Having run Maranello's engines for years in the pre-BMW era under the Petronas brand, both Ferrari and Sauber are used to the arrangement.

Petronas is also gone, migrating to the rival Mercedes GP team (and not, as might have been assumed, to the Malaysian-backed Lotus team). As you can see, the C29 – the third car to make its debut during the Valencia test session – was unveiled with no sponsor branding whatsoever. Rumor has it that both drivers – 38-year-old veteran McLaren test driver Pedro de la Rosa and 23-year-old rookie Kamui Kobayashi (who impressed in his debut for Toyota last season) – have brought sponsorship along with them, Kobayashi in particular linked to Panasonic, which sponsored Toyota's cars until the Japanese automaker's withdrawal last season.

With BMW or without, Sauber's made the grid, but the team still has a long way to go.

gallery: autoblog.com/gallery/2010-bmw-sauber-c29/
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I Support ClubWRX
    Good info, Andy...I actually had no idea that Sauber was still in the mix. Good for them!
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Alonso set the fastest time now.

Pos. --- Driver ---------Car -------Best Time -- Laps
    1 Fernando Alonso -- Ferrari F10 -- 1:11.599 -- 55
    2 Pedro de la Rosa -- Sauber C29 -- 1:12.094 -- 28
    3 Michael Schumacher -- Mercedes MGP W01 -- 1:12.438 -- 30
    4 Jaime Alguersuari -- Toro Rosso STR5 -- 1:12.576 -- 37
    5 Jenson Button -- Mclaren MP4-25 -- 1:13.498 -- 23
    6 Nico Hulkenberg -- Williams FW32 -- 1:13.669 -- 72
    7 Vitaly Petrov -- Renault R30 -- 1:14.009 -- 29

Fernando Alonso sets the pace in Spain - Valencia Test Report - Day Three | Formula 1 | Formula 1 news, live F1 | ESPN F1
    Last edited by Weasel 555; 02-03-2010 at 07:37 AM.
    FORZA FERRARI

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    ^fix

----------------------------------------

F1 2010 Rule Changes

Refuelling
    The biggest change for the 2010 season is the banning of refuelling during races for the first time since 1993. Pit stops will not become a thing of the past, however, as drivers still have to use both dry-weather tyre compounds during a Grand Prix. Of course, those stops will now be much quicker, quite possibly under four seconds.

The change requires cars to possess a much larger fuel tank - up from around 80 litres to something nearer 250 - and has a major effect on race strategy, with drivers having to pay more attention to tyre and brake conservation. To accommodate the bigger tank, the cars are likely to feature wider rear bodywork and a longer wheelbase. As a result, the weight distribution will be quite different to that of a 2009 car.

Points system

Points will be awarded for the top ten positions as follows;

1st – 25 points
    2nd – 18 points
    3rd – 15 points
    and then 12-10-8-6-4-2-1.

The FIA hopes the new points system will encourage racing to win.

Weight
    The minimum weight of the car has been raised from 605kg to 620kg. The initial thinking behind this was to offset the disadvantage faced by taller, heavier drivers in KERS-equipped cars (the additional weight of the KERS system meant they were left with less flexibility in terms of weight distribution than their lighter rivals). By mutual agreement, however, teams are now not expected to run KERS in 2010.

Narrower front tyres
    When slick tyres returned to Formula One racing in 2009, the tyre size remained unchanged. In terms of contact area, this meant that the fronts gained proportionally more grip than the rears. This has been addressed for 2010, with front tyre width reduced from 270mm to 245mm, thus helping to bring back a better grip balance. Also, the ban on refuelling means cars will be around 100kg heavier at the start of a race than in 2009, so Bridgestone will use slightly harder tyre compounds to compensate.

No wheel fairings
    Teams are no longer allowed to use the wheel rim covers that became so commonplace in 2009. Their removal means one less thing to go wrong when pit crews are trying to change of set of tyres in less than four seconds, and could also aid overtaking by making the airflow immediately behind cars less turbulent.

More teams
    Thirteen teams - 26 cars - will feature on the grid in 2010. This means a slight alteration to the knockout qualifying session, which will now see eight drivers (as opposed to five) eliminated in Q1 and Q2, leaving ten to fight it out for pole in Q3. The ban on refuelling means that cars will qualify on low fuel in all three phases of the session.

Testing
    If a team declares that one of their current race drivers is to be substituted by a driver who has not participated in an F1 race in the two previous calendar years, one day of track testing will now be permitted, on an approved circuit not being used for a Grand Prix in the current season. This is to avoid scenarios such as that seen in 2009 when Jaime Alguersuari made his Formula One debut with Toro Rosso having only previously driven an F1 car in straight-line testing.

In another minor change, teams will be allowed six rather than eight days of straight-line aero testing per season. They will also have the option of substituting any of these days for four hours of wind tunnel testing with a full-scale (rather than the normal 60 percent-scale) model.

click: formula1.com/inside_f1/rules_and_regulations/sporting_regulations/
    "All We'll Drive"

I Support ClubWRX
    Most of these are IMO positive changes.

Refueling only added danger and some teams never quite mastered it (OK not some teams. Ferrari.).

More testing means better cars and higher speeds plus higher safety.

Although narrower fronts plus more aero work would mean higher top speeds (bad), the cars will be both heavier and have less mechanical grip in the nose for cornering (good).

Sounds like Schumi put on 5 kg or so?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Interesting point setup. It could make things volatile as a season nears its end; if a contender finishes out of the top 10, they're going to lose 25 points to someone.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Interesting point setup. It could make things volatile as a season nears its end; if a contender finishes out of the top 10, they're going to lose 25 points to someone.
    i agree and teh fact schumi is a known aggressive driver i think we be seeing deliberate race take outs
    "All We'll Drive"

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Virgin reveals its VR-01 F1 contender

Virgin Racing has revealed its first Formula 1 car, the VR-01, although its planned online launch was delayed by technical difficulties.

The VR-01 was due to be unveiled on the team's website this morning, the team having opted for an 'all-digital' launch to mirror its 'all-digital car' - reflecting the fact that design company Wirth Research created the car entirely using computational fluid dynamics rather than using a windtunnel.

But technical issues prevented the broadcast from taking place as planned, so the car has now been revealed via the team's website later than scheduled.

"Today is a very proud day for everyone involved with Virgin Racing, however on this occasion, where the car is the star, I want to pay tribute to all the amazing people at Wirth Research who deserve so much of the credit for the VR-01," said designer Nick Wirth.

"Putting together an F1 team, assembling an engineering group and designing a new car from scratch is an epic task in the timeframe we have been working to.

read more: autosport.com/news/id/81228

Virgin Racing site: virginracing.com/cars/index
    "All We'll Drive"

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm glad Timo found a ride.

So is there a lineup of all the teams that are now certain to be fielding cars? What other new teams are there besides USF1 and Virgin? I know that there were a couple of others in the works.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    So is there a lineup of all the teams that are now certain to be fielding cars?
    This is the most up to date list i can find:

This list shows which F1 teams and drivers have been confirmed for 2010. Drivers that have not been confirmed for 2010 are listed with the team they drove for in 2009.

click for more info: 2010 F1 drivers and teams | F1 Fanatic - The Formula 1 Blog

McLaren-Mercedes
    Race drivers

1. Jenson Button (has 2010 contract)
    2. Lewis Hamilton (has 2010 contract)

Test drivers

Gary Paffett (has 2010 contract)

--------------------------------------
    Mercedes Grand Prix
    Mercedes has taken over the Brawn team.

Race drivers
    3. Nico Rosberg (has 2010 contract)
    4. Michael Schumacher (has 2010 contract)

Test drivers

Nick Heidfeld (has 2010 contract)

Red Bull Racing-Renault
    Race drivers

5. Sebastian Vettel (has 2010 contract)
    6. Mark Webber (has 2010 contract)

Test drivers

TBC

Scuderia Ferrari
    Race drivers

7. Felipe Massa (has 2010 contract)
    8. Fernando Alonso (has 2010 contract)

Test drivers

Giancarlo Fisichella (has 2010 contract)
    Luca Badoer (has 2010 contract)
    Marc Gené (has 2010 contract)
    ------------------------------------------

Williams-Cosworth
    Race drivers

9. Rubens Barrichello (has 2010 contract)
    10. Nico HĂlkenberg (has 2010 contract)

Test drivers

Valltteri Bottas
    -------------------------------------------

Renault F1 Team
    Race drivers

11. Robert Kubica (has 2010 contract)
    12. Vitaly Petrov (has 2010 contract)

Test drivers

Ho-Pin Tung
    Jerome D’Ambrosio

Force India F1 Team-Mercedes
    Race drivers

14. Adrian Sutil (has 2010 contract)
    15. Vitantonio Liuzzi (has 2010 contract)

NB. There is no car number 13 in F1.

Test drivers

Paul di Resta
    --------------------------------------------------

Scuderia Toro Rosso-Ferrari
    Race drivers

16. Sebastien Buemi (has 2010 contract)
    17. Jaime Alguersuari (has 2010 contract)
    -------------------------------------------------

Lotus-Cosworth
    Race drivers

18. Jarno Trulli (has 2010 contract)
    19. Heikki Kovalainen (has 2010 contract)

Test drivers

Fairuz Fauzy
    --------------------------------------------

Campos-Cosworth
    Race drivers

20. TBC
    21. Bruno Senna (has 2010 contract)

Test drivers

TBC

US F1-Cosworth
    Race drivers

22. Jose Maria Lopez
    23. TBC

US F1 driver numbering TBC

Test drivers

TBC
    -------------------------------------

Virgin Racing-Cosworth
    Race drivers

24. Timo Glock (has 2010 contract)
    25. Lucas di Grassi (has 2010 contract)

Test drivers

Alvaro Parente (has 2010 contract)
    Luiz Razia (has 2010 contract)

--------------------------------------
    BMW Sauber
    Race drivers

Kamui Kobayashi (has 2010 contract)
    Pedro de la Rosa (has 2010 contract)

NB. BMW Sauber driver numbering TBC

Test drivers

TBC
    -------------------------------------------------------

2009 F1 drivers not yet confirmed for 2010

Sebastien Bourdais (ex-Toro Rosso)

Kazuki Nakajima (ex-Williams)

Christian Klien (ex-BMW test driver)

Romain Grosjean
    "All We'll Drive"