F1 2010 talk / results etc ..all in here - Page 25
Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast

This is a discussion on F1 2010 talk / results etc ..all in here within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Koreans slam F1 preparations 'shameful' amidst poor ticket sales Just two days from when F1 drivers and cars first take ...

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Koreans slam F1 preparations 'shameful' amidst poor ticket sales

Just two days from when F1 drivers and cars first take to the troubled Korea International Circuit for the inaugural Korean Grand Prix, locals have slated preparations as 'shameful' as organisers struggle to sell tickets

With the inaugural Korean Grand Prix now just a handful of days away, some of the Asian nation's inhabitants have slated preparations for the event as 'shameful' and likely to paint the country in an unflattering international light – as it has emerged that ticket sales for the weekend are some way below expectations.

The Korea International Circuit, built on reclaimed land in Yeongam County, South Jeolla province – around 250 miles to the south-west of the South Korean capital of Seoul – is the product of a $275 million investment and three years of work, much of it right at the last minute and some yet to be completed at all, with weather disruptions and political squabbles having severely hampered progress and resulted in nearly insurmountable delays.

Indeed, until FIA race director and safety delegate Charlie Whiting passed the track and its infrastructure fit for purpose early last week – considerably later than the stipulated deadline of no less than 90 days before the race – there were significant doubts as to whether the troubled grand prix would be going ahead at all, following months of conjecture and speculation about the readiness or otherwise of its construction.

The Hermann Tilke-designed 5.6km layout – featuring the longest straight on the F1 calendar at 1.2km – has been billed as the best circuit in Asia and South Korea's biggest sporting facility, capable of accommodating more than 120,000 spectators at any one time, but of that capacity, barely half of the tickets have been sold, with as many as 60,000 still to shift.

Worse still, despite South Korea being the world's fifth-largest car maker, no major automotive group has been willing to back the showpiece event as a title sponsor remains elusive – whilst national company LG is a partner to current world championship leaders Red Bull Racing – leading many to lament what is perceived as a sorry state of affairs indeed.

“I bet this event will boost regional development and our national image, but many people in other regions appear to be indifferent,” taxi driver Kim Song-Moon is quoted as having said by AFP.

“The track should have been built months ago,” added Lee Phil-Soon, who owns a restaurant owner in nearby city Mokpo. “We believe there has been no full government support because the race is being held in this region. If it were held in other regions such as Busan, the situation would have been different.

“Look at the track – construction is still underway with only days to go before the race. It's shameful, as foreigners think we are not prepared well.”

Read More: crash.net/f1/news/164397

ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Webber takes day one initiative in Korea

Mark Webber posted the fastest time in second practice ahead of Sunday's inaugural Korean Grand Prix, but had title rivals Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton in close attendance.

Mark Webber showed that Red Bull Racing will again be the team to beat after topping the times in the second free practice session of the Korean Grand Prix.

Having been content to allow McLaren a turn in the spotlight in the opening 90-minute session, the Australian led the way with a lap time nearly three seconds faster than title rival Lewis Hamilton managed in the morning, clocking 1min 37.942secs around the undulating Yeongam circuit.

Despite completing 'only' 23 laps, Webber ended the day just under two-tenths clear of next fastest man, Fernando Alonso, who was among those registering 30+ tours as they sought to understand the nuances of what began as a dusty ribbon of tarmac, and continued to offer little grip. Alonso's Ferrari team-mate, Felipe Massa – who ended the day sixth fastest – reported that the twisty final sector was 'undriveable' due to the lack of grip, while Williams' Nico Hulkenberg was told to make the best of what he had under him after complaining about his tyres.

Alonso, one of Webber's closest rivals, along with Sebastian Vettel, in the championship standings, narrowly failed to join the Australian in the 1min 37s, but had a tenth and more in hand over third-placed Hamilton, with a bigger gap extending back to Renault's Robert Kubica and the second McLaren of Jenson Button, who rounded out the top five.

Button's session did not go entirely smoothly, however, for, having moved to the top of the times, the Briton returned to the pits with his undertray and diffuser catching light, forcing the McLaren team to douse the rear of his MP4-25 with extinguishers. He remained in the garage until the final third of the session, but was able to return and lower his personal benchmark, despite appearing to spend a lot of his time backing off to make space on track.

Behind Massa, Vettel was unable to match team-mate Webber's pace, but slotted in at the head of a tight group comprising Vitaly Petrov and Nico Rosberg, which rounded out the top ten ahead of Sauber's Kamui Kobayashi.

Nick Heidfeld and Michael Schumacher both narrowly missed the top ten, while the two Williams drivers, who had briefly topped the times in session one slipped back to 13th and 16th, mingling with the Force Indias of Tonio Liuzzi and Adrian Sutil.

The Italian again suffered a setback, stopping out on track, but his misfortune did not warrant the red flag, unlike HRT's Sakon Yamamoto, who spun and tapped the wall in the tight 'street circuit' section approaching the pit entry, which itself has attracted some attention for its blind approach.

Lotus returned to the head of the new team division, with Heikki Kovalainen heading Jarno Trulli, who bounced back from his session one gremlins. The pair were split by a tenth, with the best Virgin entry a couple of tenths adrift.

Unsurprisingly, Bruno Senna brought up the rear, completing just three laps after his HRT was repaired following his morning session spin. The Brazilian suffered suspension failure as a result of the mishap, with the arm also puncturing the gearbox, adding to the delay.

Click: http://www.crash.net/f1/news/164431/

------------------------

Korean Grand Prix, Yeongam - Friday free practice (2)

Mark Webber lowers Yeongam benchmark after topping second practice at Korean Grand Prix.

1. Mark Webber Australia Red Bull-Renault 1m 37.942s
    2. Fernando Alonso Spain Ferrari-Ferrari 1m 38.132s
    3. Lewis Hamilton Britain McLaren-Mercedes 1m 38.279s
    4. Robert Kubica Poland Renault-Renault 1m 38.718s
    5. Jenson Button Britain McLaren-Mercedes 1m 38.726s
    6. Felipe Massa Brazil Ferrari-Ferrari 1m 38.820s
    7. Sebastian Vettel Germany Red Bull-Renault 1m 39.204s
    8. Vitaly Petrov Russia Renault-Renault 1m 39.267s
    9. Nico Rosberg Germany Mercedes-Mercedes 1m 39.268s
    10. Kamui Kobayashi Japan BMW Sauber-Ferrari 1m 39.564s
    11. Nick Heidfeld Germany BMW Sauber-Ferrari 1m 39.588s
    12. Michael Schumacher Germany Mercedes-Mercedes 1m 39.598s
    13. Rubens Barrichello Brazil Williams-Cosworth 1m 39.812s
    14. Vitantonio Liuzzi Italy Force India-Mercedes 1m 39.881s
    15. Adrian Sutil Germany Force India-Mercedes 1m 39.971s
    16. Nico Hulkenberg Germany Williams-Cosworth 1m 40.478s
    17. Jaime Alguersuari Spain Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m 40.578s
    18. Sebastien Buemi Switzerland Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m 40.896s
    19. Heikki Kovalainen Finland Lotus-Cosworth 1m 42.773s
    20. Jarno Trulli Italy Lotus-Cosworth 1m 42.801s
    21. Timo Glock Germany Virgin-Cosworth 1m 43.115s
    22. Lucas di Grassi Brazil Virgin-Cosworth 1m 44.039s
    23. Sakon Yamamoto Japan HRT-Cosworth 1m 45.166s
    24. Bruno Senna Brazil HRT-Cosworth 1m 46.649s

all times unofficial

Click: crash.net/f1/results/164430/

ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I Support ClubWRX
    It seems like Korea is more of a desert than Bahrain or Abu Dhabi,dust was everywhere.Whoever came up with the idea of painting the gravel green,havent they heard of grass there?
    The circuit looks terrific,twisty,technical,only why on earth is it so narrow at places with close walls when they had so much empty space to work with?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Korean Grand Prix, Yeongam - Qualifying times

Sebastian Vettel heads Red Bull 1-2 in first-ever Korean qualifying session, edging team-mate Mark Webber by 0.07secs.

1. Sebastian Vettel Germany Red Bull-Renault 1m 35.585s
    2. Mark Webber Australia Red Bull-Renault 1m 35.659s
    3. Fernando Alonso Spain Ferrari-Ferrari 1m 35.766s
    4. Lewis Hamilton Britain McLaren-Mercedes 1m 36.062s
    5. Nico Rosberg Germany Mercedes-Mercedes 1m 36.535s
    6. Felipe Massa Brazil Ferrari-Ferrari 1m 36.571s
    7. Jenson Button Britain McLaren-Mercedes 1m 36.731s
    8. Robert Kubica Poland Renault-Renault 1m 36.824s
    9. Michael Schumacher Germany Mercedes-Mercedes 1m 36.950s
    10. Rubens Barrichello Brazil Williams-Cosworth 1m 36.998s

11. Nico Hulkenberg Germany Williams-Cosworth 1m 37.620s
    12. Kamui Kobayashi Japan BMW Sauber-Ferrari 1m 37.643s
    13. Nick Heidfeld Germany BMW Sauber-Ferrari 1m 37.715s
    14. Adrian Sutil Germany Force India-Mercedes 1m 37.783s
    15. Vitaly Petrov Russia Renault-Renault 1m 37.799s*
    16. Jaime Alguersuari Spain Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m 37.853s
    17. Sebastien Buemi Switzerland Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m 38.594s

18. Vitantonio Liuzzi Italy Force India-Mercedes 1m 38.955s
    19. Jarno Trulli Italy Lotus-Cosworth 1m 40.521s
    20. Timo Glock Germany Virgin-Cosworth 1m 40.748s
    21. Heikki Kovalainen Finland Lotus-Cosworth 1m 41.768s
    22. Lucas di Grassi Brazil Virgin-Cosworth 1m 42.325s
    23. Sakon Yamamoto Japan HRT-Cosworth 1m 42.444s
    24. Bruno Senna Brazil HRT-Cosworth 1m 43.283s

all times unofficial

* denotes driver due to take five-place penalty

Click: crash.net/f1/results/164466

"All We'll Drive"

I yelling at the TV when Vettel/Webber took the pole from Alonso at the last second.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333 View Post
    I yelling at the TV when Vettel/Webber took the pole from Alonso at the last second.
    actual shot of cavs yelling

"All We'll Drive"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    It seems like Korea is more of a desert than Bahrain or Abu Dhabi,dust was everywhere.Whoever came up with the idea of painting the gravel green,havent they heard of grass there?
    The circuit looks terrific,twisty,technical,only why on earth is it so narrow at places with close walls when they had so much empty space to work with?
    Oh yes, the walls. It's absolutely silly to have those walls there. It's pointless. There's nothing behind them that can't be moved anyway. This isn't a street circuit. Why put walls exactly where everyone would rather have runoff? What's the point?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    actual shot of cavs yelling

FORZA FERRARI

That was a mess of a race but I'm happy with the results.
    FORZA FERRARI

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333 View Post
    I imagine you are thrilled today?
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

Yeah it couldn't have worked out better for Alonso, less full race laps to preserve the engine and both redbulls out.
    FORZA FERRARI

I Support ClubWRX
    That must have been one of the craziest races I have ever seen.And what about Sutil?, Kobayashi looked like Yamamoto compared to him.Button looked like he was sleeping.Instead of Webber owning up to his mistake should have been apologizing to Rosberg,F***ing kids indeed!

the happiest man must have been that gunman at Alonso's front right.

Now all we need is a repeat of Brazil 2003
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Brazilian GP - Interlagos - Nov 5-7

Click: en.espnf1.com/brazil/motorsport/circuit/

one of my fave races of the season
    "All We'll Drive"

I Support ClubWRX
    Come on rain!!!

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA - Moderator - Fun Drives and North Central States
    The Morris Garage
    2008 Outback 2.5XT Ltd __2002 WRX Wagon __ 1958 MGA Roadster __ 2008 smart Cabrio __ and a few scooters...
    Bugeye Mafia #338

I Support ClubWRX
    A light rain will not only help the lawns and plants, it will serve as the great equalizer. Then we'll see them all dance. I'm hoping for a pleasant drizzle -- not a monsoon.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.