Launching
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Launching within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; This may be posted in the wrong forum, but I notice a lot of people hang out here. How the ...

Launching

This may be posted in the wrong forum, but I notice a lot of people hang out here.

How the heck do you launch these things? I just got a 2010 WRX, put in a short throw, once I'm in gear, takes off quick, but launching? Different story.

I've tried it twice on my own recently and now have decided to ask the pros. Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Dsibbrel View Post
    This may be posted in the wrong forum, but I notice a lot of people hang out here.

How the heck do you launch these things? I just got a 2010 WRX, put in a short throw, once I'm in gear, takes off quick, but launching? Different story.

I've tried it twice on my own recently and now have decided to ask the pros. Any ideas?
    Rev up to about 4k RPM, don't dump the clutch, but quickly ride the clutch. in one swift and steady motion let out just a bit faster than riding the piss out of the clutch. if you let out too quick, you will bog the car down and ***k up your clutch. if you do it too slow, you will burn up your clutch and smoke the piss out of it. basically, just a bit slower than dumping it. be ready, becase as soon as the clutch is finally all the way out, it will be time to go to your next gear.

Thanks!!! I was way undershooting my starting point RPM's.

you can start practicing your launches at about 3k if you wanna be safe...trust me these clutches get fried easily! let out the clutch right the point that it catches and hold it. then put the pedal down to your desired rpm. when you launch, let out the clutch (it will take time to find the right speed to let it out.) and right as the clutch is fully gripping, floor it. then be prepared to shift as soon as you take off. dont worry, launching an awd vehicle is not easy...unless you have a monster tranny and can just dump the clutch like my old man with his Porsche!
    Last edited by ajtoce; 12-22-2009 at 10:18 AM. Reason: figured id add a thoughtful word of encouragement

Don't forget to put away $$$ for a new clutch in 20k miles
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

i would not listen to the advice just given to you...the way to launch the wrx requires a lot of trial and error and chances are you will damage your car a lot trying to perfect it...rev it to 5000 to 5500 and on an up blip, slip the clutch out...too slow and you will burn your clutch, too fast and you will put the shock load all on the trans....there is a way to get it "right" and not do either, but this takes a lot of practice which i wish i never learned ...i can cut consistent 1.7's at this point, at the cost of the stock clutch and a lot of damage to the trans....good luck

dont launch YOUR CAR...Launch a friends! lol
    ~Hawkeye Alliance~ #982
    2007 limited wrx
    Cobb stage 2

Quote Originally Posted by Dsibbrel View Post
    Thanks!!! I was way undershooting my starting point RPM's.
    Redline dumps work.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the advice. Yes, I know launching isn't advised, but it really isn't good for any car. Just watch one professional drag race and they go through the whole rebuilding process between each race. (Of course they've got the money, tools, parts and know how.) I've just never had a car that is difficult to even take off quick from a stop light- I NEVER RACE, but sometimes you have to get around someone to make a turn or something. There is also some crazy freeway onramps around Los Angeles that require a quick start.
    And I'll try to launch a friend's car as much as possible first.

Quote Originally Posted by boosted4life View Post
    Redline dumps work.
    Keep doing this and you had better start putting some money away for a new transmission.
    Follow the goddamn prompts!!!!! - Tech Support

'06 WRX TR Aspen White - SOLD
    '96 Mazda Miata - Current Toy

Former Hawk-Eye Alliance #034

Quote Originally Posted by liljon350 View Post
    rev it to 5000 to 5500 and on an up blip, slip the clutch out...too slow and you will burn your clutch, too fast and you will put the shock load all on the trans.
    With a stock tranny no way in hell would I rev to 5K+ and launch. That is just asking to grenade your tranny.

I have a stock 5-speed tranny pushing 320whp/294ft-lbs. I still have the original tranny and my stock/original clutch with over 80K miles on it.

It takes LOTs of practice to launch correctly. Personally, I launch b/t 3000-3500 rpms and slip the clutch. The key is not to bang the gear and time your clutch engagement (full engagement with the shift) and let it go of the clutch smoothly (slip it nicely). It is much better to be smooth and precise than too quick and harsh/banging gears.

It will take practice and once you get the hang of slipping the clutch correctly it will become 2nd nature. Then you can move on to learning how to "heal n toe."
    Last edited by c2bcoolwrx; 12-28-2009 at 10:42 AM.

Attention Moderators!!!
    Wake up and smell the coffee will ya!

Here is what we need. We need a sticky post put up in the "Motorsports Sticky" section. It needs to be a 'how to' type of thing. It should be really simple and easy to find. Something like "Launching techniques. ***READ ME FIRST!!!***" or something like that. That way, when we have new members, they can go to that post and see the experience from all of the seasoned veterans, and even professional drag racers launching WRX's with different mods and platforms and what works in each situation. We are talking posts from almost a decade ago. Now THAT would be cool. That way we don't get the same question asked every two weeks for the rest of my life.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jmp2006 View Post
    Keep doing this and you had better start putting some money away for a new transmission.
    It was a joke...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    Attention Moderators!!!
    Wake up and smell the coffee will ya!

Here is what we need. We need a sticky post put up in the "Motorsports Sticky" section. It needs to be a 'how to' type of thing. It should be really simple and easy to find. Something like "Launching techniques. ***READ ME FIRST!!!***" or something like that. That way, when we have new members, they can go to that post and see the experience from all of the seasoned veterans, and even professional drag racers launching WRX's with different mods and platforms and what works in each situation. We are talking posts from almost a decade ago. Now THAT would be cool. That way we don't get the same question asked every two weeks for the rest of my life.
    Thanks!
    Even if a sticky was made it would be glanced over and missed like every other sticky on this forum.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by c2bcoolwrx View Post
    With a stock tranny no way in hell would I rev to 5K+ and launch. That is just asking to grenade your tranny.

I have a stock 5-speed tranny pushing 320whp/294ft-lbs. I still have the original tranny and my stock/original clutch with over 80K miles on it.

It takes LOTs of practice to launch correctly. Personally, I launch b/t 3000-3500 rpms and slip the clutch. The key is not to bang the gear and time your clutch engagement (full engagement with the shift) and let it go of the clutch smoothly (slip it nicely). It is much better to be smooth and precise than too quick and harsh/banging gears.

It will take practice and once you get the hang of slipping the clutch correctly it will become 2nd nature. Then you can move on to learning how to "heal n toe."

ok... 3-3.5k launch with ur power runs what in the 1/4? im 04 wrx stock trans and clutch launching about 4.3-4.5k and i ran a 12.789 @ 108.96 with a stock turbo.... not even close to ur power.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.