first time at quarter mile track - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on first time at quarter mile track within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; [QUOTE=srt4-perry;2551437]if you know anybody that actually races at a dragstrip you would find out that DRIVING HAS EVERYTHING to do ...

[QUOTE=srt4-perry;2551437]if you know anybody that actually races at a dragstrip you would find out that DRIVING HAS EVERYTHING to do with the times and speeds a car will run. [QUOTE]

I once knew a guy that had a friend that raced at the dragstrip on occasions. And he told the guy I knew that there is a lot to driving that makes elapsed time. No doubt! But the huge majority of speed is vehicle set up, aero and raw horsepower. He also told me to beware of people with one or two posts that just signed up to jump in on a discussion already in progress.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

[QUOTE=Wannabe;2551664][QUOTE=srt4-perry;2551437]if you know anybody that actually races at a dragstrip you would find out that DRIVING HAS EVERYTHING to do with the times and speeds a car will run.

I once knew a guy that had a friend that raced at the dragstrip on occasions. And he told the guy I knew that there is a lot to driving that makes elapsed time. No doubt! But the huge majority of speed is vehicle set up, aero and raw horsepower. He also told me to beware of people with one or two posts that just signed up to jump in on a discussion already in progress.
    ok, so i'm the guy he warned you about.....
    anyway he is my son and i was there and i know the car. but anyways what else do you want for proof??? as posted earlier in this thread we have found out that he is not the fastest stock block and turbo wrx. but it looks like he is in the top 5-10. it's very impressive for his VERY FEW mods that have been done to the car and the fact that it has 140,000+ miles on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    oh my!
    yep, thats what i thought. it was perfect conditions for racing.

1st post reliability kicks in

I certainly don't know everything about drag racing, but I actually never doubted the run.
    Those are mindshaft conditions! Conditions that 95% of the drag strips in America will ever see. Not for one day in their entire existences. Houston, E-town and maybe one day every year in Pomona. The horsepower I could make in sub adjustment standard conditions. I just sit here are drule.
    I doubted that he drove at the track like that for his 'first time'. Then he explained that was his first 1/4 mile, and that he runs 1/8th often. So I was corrected there. It was a heck of a run and an amazing feat.

But truth be told, You may be the guy I was warned about.

- DRCE-Buzzzy -

Quote Originally Posted by srt4-perry View Post
    ok, so i'm the guy he warned you about.....
    anyway he is my son and i was there and i know the car. but anyways what else do you want for proof??? as posted earlier in this thread we have found out that he is not the fastest stock block and turbo wrx. but it looks like he is in the top 5-10. it's very impressive for his VERY FEW mods that have been done to the car and the fact that it has 140,000+ miles on it.
    You have given us enough proof. Its hard for people to believe good times, because they themselves never get the chance to run in such good conditions, and can't manage similar times.(or aren't as good of drivers with the same result)

The fact that it did so well with so few mods, makes me hope that your son gets the supporting mods to push that stock turbo further. It must be great knowing your still on the stock turbo, and running faster than most VF-16G guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    I certainly don't know everything about drag racing, but I actually never doubted the run.
    Those are mindshaft conditions! Conditions that 95% of the drag strips in America will ever see. Not for one day in their entire existences. Houston, E-town and maybe one day every year in Pomona. The horsepower I could make in sub adjustment standard conditions. I just sit here are drule.
    I doubted that he drove at the track like that for his 'first time'. Then he explained that was his first 1/4 mile, and that he runs 1/8th often. So I was corrected there. It was a heck of a run and an amazing feat.

But truth be told, You may be the guy I was warned about.

- DRCE-Buzzzy -
    hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by xsnapshot View Post
    You have given us enough proof. Its hard for people to believe good times, because they themselves never get the chance to run in such good conditions, and can't manage similar times.(or aren't as good of drivers with the same result)

The fact that it did so well with so few mods, makes me hope that your son gets the supporting mods to push that stock turbo further. It must be great knowing your still on the stock turbo, and running faster than most VF-16G guys.
    haha, he had a good teacher...

Banned
    [QUOTE=Wannabe;2551664][QUOTE=srt4-perry;2551437]if you know anybody that actually races at a dragstrip you would find out that DRIVING HAS EVERYTHING to do with the times and speeds a car will run.

posts =/= experience... never think that.. and if you really do think it does get on srt forums.... hes got plenty of posts.... anyways.. he's drag raced since before i was born. thats what i'd call experience...

. . . I just dream of having lots of drag racing experience . . .

Maybe some day.

I Support ClubWRX

Maybe some day.

Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Banned

Maybe some day.
    i wasnt talking about you but whatever

I did a 1/4 mile run on my Cobb AP the other day on a long stretch of road that has a little elevation to it. It came up with a 13.3@108. I launched it very easy and redlined 3rd. I have a '09 WRX stg II. Perrin DP, CAI, Mid pipe and Crawford Performance Gymkana exhaust. This was on my winter tires. What times has anyone got with this same relative setup? Is the AP pretty accurate at reading it?

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    You can hear the guy say 12.7 Subaru at 3:36. It certainly seems that he did it.
    Last edited by mycologist; 01-24-2010 at 06:30 AM. Reason: typo
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt.Dan View Post
    I did a 1/4 mile run on my Cobb AP the other day on a long stretch of road that has a little elevation to it. It came up with a 13.3@108. I launched it very easy and redlined 3rd. I have a '09 WRX stg II. Perrin DP, CAI, Mid pipe and Crawford Performance Gymkana exhaust. This was on my winter tires. What times has anyone got with this same relative setup? Is the AP pretty accurate at reading it?
    (read my response in the 1/4 mi thread)
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Banned
    finally got my car dyno'd... 205 horsepower and 222 torque.. will get a pic of my dyno sheet soon.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.