first time at quarter mile track - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on first time at quarter mile track within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; yeah ive heard of the 5 speeds having issues... but ive been drag racing mine (1/8 mile) since 3 days ...

Banned
    yeah ive heard of the 5 speeds having issues... but ive been drag racing mine (1/8 mile) since 3 days after i got the car.... stock i ran a 9.7... that next week i went 8.8 then we turned the boost up some and i went 8.44 at that track.. needless to say... many many many runs... i have piles of timeslips. had the car about a year and 4 months... then just took it to rockingham... and the conditions were good.. low temps and elevation.. and i still have had no trouble out of my trans.. but.... ideas....
    5speed with ppg or just 6 speed?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    sorry it said ported TB... throttle body... i thought turbo for some reaason

Quote Originally Posted by justinfigle View Post
    5speed with ppg or just 6 speed?
    Well most people run a touch slower with a 6 speed due to all the shifting going on.

If you did PPG 1-4, stock 5th/R that would be superior dragstrip wise, to the 6 speed. The gear ratios are pretty nice for what you'll need.

However if you plan on doing a lot of autocrossing then you probably do better with a 6 speed. The 6 speed will weigh more, but is actively cooled. So there are pros and cons to each setup i suppose.

we have a few customers on td04's running 106's that extra 2mph could be made by ideal atmospheric conditions, tire choice, and track prep. I would venture to guess the track isn't full prepped to the 1/4
    Erich Uhlman
    Performance Race Engineering - www.PREracing.com
    13339 NE Airport Way. Portland, OR 97230
    503-619-0055
    google map
    Follow Us on Twitter
    Like us on Facebook

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by xsnapshot View Post
    Well most people run a touch slower with a 6 speed due to all the shifting going on.

If you did PPG 1-4, stock 5th/R that would be superior dragstrip wise, to the 6 speed. The gear ratios are pretty nice for what you'll need.

However if you plan on doing a lot of autocrossing then you probably do better with a 6 speed. The 6 speed will weigh more, but is actively cooled. So there are pros and cons to each setup i suppose.
    i dont plan on doing a bunch of auto cross though.. so 1-4 then?

i dont plan on doing a bunch of auto cross though.. so 1-4 then?
    That's what I would do. You'll really be able to get that launch down without worry about gears.

Might as well see how much abuse the gears will take until then though!

never had it dyno'd but i think about 240 HP. maybe 260-270 torque
    It's physically impossible to make a run as fast as you say making those numbers....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by turbotwist View Post
    It's physically impossible to make a run as fast as you say making those numbers....
    well stock is 180 HP and like 210 torque.. so with that few of mods there is no way im making more than 240 and 270... my dad has an SRT... the silver one in the video... dyno'd at 252 HP and 314 torque and has ran a 12.2 before... so it is extremely possible to run low time with HP.. u just have to know how to use it

Quote Originally Posted by turbotwist View Post
    Well he did say he's never had it dynoed. What we have to go off of is his trap speed. And 109mph is definitly cooking. I'd say 250 on a mustang dyno would get you there.

I think its sad that more people don't really push their stock turbo's harder. But I'm also a huge fan of tons of down low torque.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by xsnapshot View Post
    Well he did say he's never had it dynoed. What we have to go off of is his trap speed. And 109mph is definitly cooking. I'd say 250 on a mustang dyno would get you there.

I think its sad that more people don't really push their stock turbo's harder. But I'm also a huge fan of tons of down low torque.
    definately... torque is a fun thing... no point in power without it... look at MOST (not all) honda's... lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    I still don't believe it.

If you did it, Amazing! But this one of those I'd have to see it to believe it things. The mods + time don't add up in my head.
    he did it and i was amazed. it is a completely stock turbo and block. the car has a tad over 140,000 miles on it also. and the video was taken by another person at the track that day, we had no idea they were taking video. however, he has posted his timeslip and a video , so that's all the proof that he needs. conditions that day at rockingham dragstrip were ideal for dragracing, it was about 60 degrees and track altitude was about 200ft above sea level

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    I don't know that much about quarter mile stuff, er anything. But driving has very little to do with gaining just under 24mph on the back half. That is horsepower, plain and simple. Like the guys that do know about drag racing say; "MPH is horsepower. Elapsed time is managing that horsepower."
    Now, the temp is 10 under corrcetion factor, and at that elevation, and assuming that it was dry that day, it would be difficult to find better atmospheric conditions to make greater horsepower with sufficient temperature to manage traction on this continent.
    I commend you on your very impressive run and your quality tune-up. And quite an impressive 60' for your first time at the dragstrip.
    if you know anybody that actually races at a dragstrip you would find out that DRIVING HAS EVERYTHING to do with the times and speeds a car will run. you have to react, launch, shift, and drive correctly as well as keep it straight as possible. lot's of variables to how quick and fast a car will run.

Quote Originally Posted by srt4-perry View Post
    if you know anybody that actually races at a dragstrip you would find out that DRIVING HAS EVERYTHING to do with the times and speeds a car will run. you have to react, launch, shift, and drive correctly as well as keep it straight as possible. lot's of variables to how quick and fast a car will run.
    he's not saying its not. He's saying gaining 24 mph in the back half is pure power. NOT driving. 24mph and 1 shift? That's power. 12.7? That's driving.

That being said, I believe it happened. Its definitely within the realm of feasibility. It makes me happy to see people run good times on the stock turbo.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by srt4-perry View Post
    he did it and i was amazed. it is a completely stock turbo and block. the car has a tad over 140,000 miles on it also. and the video was taken by another person at the track that day, we had no idea they were taking video. however, he has posted his timeslip and a video , so that's all the proof that he needs. conditions that day at rockingham dragstrip were ideal for dragracing, it was about 60 degrees and track altitude was about 200ft above sea level
    oh my!

1st post reliability kicks in
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Banned
    i love being stock turbo and outrunning the 20g guys... lol... but shifting does have some on top end... my foot doesnt leave the gas pedal after i get it in second so i hold all boost through shifts... helps alot top end.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast