Toyota Leaves F1
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Toyota Leaves F1 within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Toyota has confirmed that it will pull the plug on its Formula One program immediately. The news was announced by ...

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

Toyota Leaves F1

Toyota has confirmed that it will pull the plug on its Formula One program immediately. The news was announced by company boss Akio Toyoda in Tokyo some 11 days before a much anticipated meeting where the team's budget was to be discussed.

Toyota's withdrawal comes following the departure of Honda 11 months ago, and confirmation from Bridgestone on Monday that it will leave F1 at the end of 2010. It leaves Japan with no strong connections to the sport for the first time since Honda's return in 1983.

Toyota arrived in F1 amid great fanfare in 2002, and while it has earned pole positions and podiums--the red and white cars finished second in two of the last four races of this year--there had been no wins.

Although there had been doubts about the company's long-term commitment, the fact that it had signed the new Concorde Agreement in July and appeared to be actively negotiating with drivers seemed promising. The incumbent drivers had been let go, but it's believed that no contracts had yet been signed with any replacements.

It remains to be seen whether Toyota is able to sell the team, but the fact that it is based within a larger site owned by the company means it will be much harder to sell as an independent entity.

The facility is much too large for any purchaser who will inevitably want to downsize and cut staffing levels, as happened when Honda was passed on via a management buyout to Ross Brawn. It also not clear if an engine supply arrangement would be made available to any buyer, although this would seem unlikely.

If the team does not continue there could be legal action against Toyota from the FIA and/or Bernie Ecclestone, since the team had made a three-year commitment when it signed the Concorde Agreement. BMW chose not to do so, having already decided to pull out. But that meant Sauber team purchaser Qadbak had to start as a fresh entity and has been waiting on the reserve list for one of the other 13 teams to drop out.

Toyota could scale down the motorsports side of the Cologne operation and operate a sportscar, rally or touring car program. It last competed at Le Mans in 1999.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    That's a shame..I was hoping to see more of Kamui Kobayashi in their chassis. He seemed to understand how to make it go!
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I guess Sauber will be back in now. The Toyota team was a joke they were spending huge amounts of money for nothing. It is a shame though that we are down to just 3 manufacturer teams.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    That's a shame..I was hoping to see more of Kamui Kobayashi in their chassis. He seemed to understand how to make it go!
    I will be shocked if he doesn't get a ride somewhere. Go down the road and ask Pete if he needs a driver.

Pirelli says not interested. Goodyear (and by extension 75% owned Dunlop are in financial trouble, so they won't be playing. Michelin probably can't wait to flip Bernie the finger if he dares ask them. Khumo? Hankook? Who knows.

At least this gives Peter Sauber an opportunity to get in if the FIA plays fair. And Nick can even bring his own car!

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA - Moderator - Fun Drives and North Central States
    The Morris Garage
    2008 Outback 2.5XT Ltd __2002 WRX Wagon __ 1958 MGA Roadster __ 2008 smart Cabrio __ and a few scooters...

Banned
    Itís not exactly a huge surprise, but Toyota has announced today that they are leaving Formula One and will not be back in 2010 to take their place. With the announcement that Bridgestone are also quitting F1 after 2010, and the departure of Honda before the 2009 season started, there is going to be no Japanese involvement in F1.

I Support ClubWRX
    Someone should start a thread about that!
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Yes, it is no surprise, but I guess I am a little surprised. -go figure-
    But I did not think that the announcement would come like this, and for immediate result. Maybe a declaration about the end of an upcoming season. But when the big dollars pulls the plug on something so late, it is really difficult on all of the people that moved their families, change occupations, altered their futures to make and run the team and then WHAM! It is over.
    When you heave a full season and then some to prepare, that is different. I really feel for the people that are left out right now. And really hope that the global economy will not continue to hurt motorsports in such a large way.

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

fingers crossed toyota takes up the IRC Series or WRC Rallying again
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

Quote Originally Posted by igotbanned View Post
    I am a troll saying troll stuff!
    You did all that work of signing up just to come on here and say that?
    Last edited by TheJ; 12-07-2009 at 12:58 PM.

The internet has cute little ways of showing us what total and complete morons we live around. And this is a perfect example.

I Support ClubWRX
    Toyota, especially since entering into the roundy-round we tend to call NASCAR/NASTRUCK, has seemed to slack off severely, elsewhere. Or is that just me?
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Prestonwon View Post
    Itís not exactly a huge surprise, but Toyota has announced today that they are leaving Formula One and will not be back in 2010 to take their place. With the announcement that Bridgestone are also quitting F1 after 2010, and the departure of Honda before the 2009 season started, there is going to be no Japanese involvement in F1.
    I think they are all just embarrassed by the fact that Honda basically gave their team away and then that same team goes on and wins it all. Can you say "Doh"!!!!
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.