Why does american TV motorsport suck?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Why does american TV motorsport suck? within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I know this probably qualifies as an OT but i'm putting it here because i'm annoyed. Does anybody know, why ...

Why does american TV motorsport suck?

I know this probably qualifies as an OT but i'm putting it here because i'm annoyed.

Does anybody know, why american televised motorsports sucks? Specifically, why are we limited to oval track and dragracing, while the rest of the world gets cars that go fast, turn left, and RIGHT!

It pisses me off! why can't the USA get the British touring car championship? or the WRC? two sports that FORD has a rather large stake in? is it for the same reason that NASCAR knows that they'll loose out to the sheer balls out fury that is WRC?
    Is it because Dale Jr. knows that Sebastian Loeb can kick his left turning @$$ ?

Why the hell does the USA miss all this cool stuff? Does speed really need to show four consecutive hours of Pinks? They show the Formula 1 world championship LIVE for gods sake! I know that in the past Speed TV has shown recaps for the WRC but as far as I know they've been lacking in that recently.

all in all this just frustrates me, why does WRC or BTCC get the short end of the stick, while the bazillionth Chevy nova gets to run down the quarter mile on pinks?

Bloody frustrating.
    "if you are going to tell someone the truth you had better make them laugh otherwise they'll kill you" - George Bernard Shaw.
    Bugeye Mafia #214
    Dirty Crew #42

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tinywagon View Post
    I know this probably qualifies as an OT but i'm putting it here because i'm annoyed.

Does anybody know, why american televised motorsports sucks? Specifically, why are we limited to oval track and dragracing, while the rest of the world gets cars that go fast, turn left, and RIGHT!

It pisses me off! why can't the USA get the British touring car championship? or the WRC? two sports that FORD has a rather large stake in? is it for the same reason that NASCAR knows that they'll loose out to the sheer balls out fury that is WRC?
    Is it because Dale Jr. knows that Sebastian Loeb can kick his left turning @$$ ?

Why the hell does the USA miss all this cool stuff? Does speed really need to show four consecutive hours of Pinks? They show the Formula 1 world championship LIVE for gods sake! I know that in the past Speed TV has shown recaps for the WRC but as far as I know they've been lacking in that recently.

all in all this just frustrates me, why does WRC or BTCC get the short end of the stick, while the bazillionth Chevy nova gets to run down the quarter mile on pinks?

Bloody frustrating.
    You're in luck, the WRC is now on HD Theater every Sunday night.

HD TV WRC coming to America!

-Shadow
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Midnight Black Pearl
    2009 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon 5MT - Dark Gray Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post

-Shadow
    whosajiggawhat?

wow, i'm less mad than i was. Thanks.
    "if you are going to tell someone the truth you had better make them laugh otherwise they'll kill you" - George Bernard Shaw.
    Bugeye Mafia #214
    Dirty Crew #42

I Support ClubWRX

Personally, I rather enjoy American Racing. However, I agree that I wish we would get much more WRC or even some of the BTCC.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

I Support ClubWRX
    Um......Speed has two very popular American road racing series on just about every Sunday. Between American Le'mans Series (ALMS), Grand Am Rolex Series, and Koni Challenge it's hard not to watch a good American road race.

Also as stated WRC started to air.

Speed also shows some other series like Ferrari Challenge, Miata Spec races, Porsche Cup, etc.

It's out there...just not shoved down your throat as much as Nascar is.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    Um......Speed has two very popular American road racing series on just about every Sunday. Between American Le'mans Series (ALMS), Grand Am Rolex Series, and Koni Challenge it's hard not to watch a good American road race.

Also as stated WRC started to air.

Speed also shows some other series like Ferrari Challenge, Miata Spec races, Porsche Cup, etc.

It's out there...just not shoved down your throat as much as Nascar is.

Yep, I was gonna say that everytime I turn on Speed, it seems like it's all circuit racing. The Miatas, the VW TDI series, ALMS, etc. I also have seen a lot of MotoGP this summer. I just think Speed gets into a rut occasionally when they start having Pinks marathons, but there's still some good programming. Even got to see a World of Outlaws 410 Sprint race Saturday night. Now that's much better left turn racing than NASCAR IMO.

Yeah HD theatre has wrc now, i DVR'd it last night can't wait to watch it when i get home = O

Before blaming it on the channels, look at it this way.

Europe - Streets are mostly tight and uneven, the demand for cars that can handle it was huge...(hence the wrc)

America - didn't need to corner left, right that quick, but rather the huge displacement to overtake or the cops to catch the outlaws in the olden days.

make sense...
    **__The Hawk-Eye Alliance__**
    Member #0135

I Support ClubWRX
    I DVR'd the WRC show and made it about 10 mins into it before I deleted it. It's not my cup of tea to watch something unfold prerecorded while someone talked over it and put it some different clips. I realize the format of WRC probably exempts from a start to finish coverage but I can not stand formatted racing.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

I Support ClubWRX
    Most European racing is boring to watch, and does poorly in reviews. Especially WRC. American people dislike hours on end of cars racing a clock. The people of this forum are mostly enamored with it because Subaru is so involved. I find F1 incredibly boring. I also find Nascar boring, but can appreciate why people here like it.

A couple weeks ago I was lucky enough to catch the Whelen modified race at Loudon on speed. That was cool. Fierce racing, and I got to see all of my friends on TV. Those are the guys we race against all the time

Last night I was watching insomniavision and was lucky enough to catch the Torc series. Now that's some good racing! If WRC would actually pit the cars against each other on a track at the same time, I bet it would be immensely popular.

I Support ClubWRX
    After last night, the WRC should get a name-change:
    The C4/Focus Challenge..

seriously, TWO makes in the field, points-wise? Oh, there's the one privateer running the hawkeye STI, who faired well, though..

And 'Abu Dabi'?? WTF is that all about?
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

I Support ClubWRX
    I enjoy both F1 and WRC, though I haven't had a chance to watch the new WRC coverage, yet. I also somewhat enjoy Indycar, though more on the road courses than on the ovals.

Lots of options out there...we don't all have to like the same things.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post

-Shadow
    I just got HD and HD Theater last week ...
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

DUB
    Back in College I remember watching every WRC race on Speed; I was really into it and I didn't own a Subaru back then. Then I didn't have a TV for a while and/or it wasn't on in the US.

Coincidentally I just now watched the Rally of Ireland on HD Theater. I agree, it was boring. I'm not really sure why. Maybe it's because, as mentioned above, there are only two makes and it's a lot of racing to squeeze into a 1 hour edited program. I dunno, but it barely held my interest.

I really like F1, but it's hard to watch without a DVR as it's always on in the middle of the night.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    After last night, the WRC should get a name-change:
    The C4/Focus Challenge..

seriously, TWO makes in the field, points-wise? Oh, there's the one privateer running the hawkeye STI, who faired well, though..

And 'Abu Dabi'?? WTF is that all about?
    The commentator mentioned the economy as a big reason. But still... Just got a chance to finally watch it off my dvr, and will admit I was kinda disappointed with the small number of brands in the field. Although crashes and slides were aplenty and entertaining.
    Blobeye Syndicate #888

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast