Getting into autocross
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Getting into autocross within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have an 04 WRX- and I am really interested in getting into autocross. I wanted to enter in a ...

Getting into autocross

I have an 04 WRX- and I am really interested in getting into autocross.

I wanted to enter in a class that would let me do external mods (intake manifold full exhaust etc) but would not require me to gut my car.

Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

All mods will put you in different classes. SCCA is the big time, but you have local events as well.

check out www.auto-x.com for a list of some classes and where mods will land you. But you can always do novice till you place first then you out. But its good exp and seat time to not get first and learn your car and get the feel for how it handles as is.

Tires/suspension mods will move you classes quicker than anything.

Hope this is of some help

You'll (99% certain) fall in D class.

What sub-class from there depends on what's been done to the car.
    Stink-Eye Mob #666

2009 WRX Sedan

Banned
    I thought getting into autocross is really dangerous?... But I think it's cool...

I haven't raced yet but the times that I've gone EVERYONE (except for one douche) were totally cool. If nothing else just take your car just for the seat time and for chatting up everyone. I had an absolute blast and as long as they're not going for official times on that particular lap people should be cool enough to let you ride along if you ask. Which means you get to ride in some really sweet rides!
    Id rather drive a fast car slow than a slow car fast - Micah

I Support ClubWRX
    Have fun!! Don't worry about comparing your times with others in your class. Try to improve your time on each run. If you're constantly improving your lap times, that's all that matters. If you plan on actually competing, then the modification path you choose needs to come with more research than others. It no longer simply is a question of the "worthwhileness" of the modification, but the consequences in terms of classification. I don't run many Auto-X events, so having my car setup for DD duty, instead of for a particular SCCA class is not a big deal to me. I'm not a competitive person by nature. My modifications put me in a class with a lot more powerful vehicles, and I stand little chance.

Do the course walk with a seasoned AXer. They often will help give you pointers. Walk the course as much as you can. I try to walk the course at least five times. With the adrenaline pumping, it's easy to get a bit confused, especially if you are doing it once in a while as a hobby.

Have an instructor your first few times going. This is where you will learn the most, and from there, it's just practice putting your knowledge into action.

Ride along with as many people as you can. See the way they take the course. This can give you a viewpoint of different strategies, some of which may be beneficial for you to use.

If you have the ability, get your runs taped. This will give you a "3rd person" view of your run, and you can analyze where you could improve from a more objective stance.

Get involved; work the course setup crew. It sucks you have to get there early, but usually the people who are doing the course layout are the more seasoned participants, and this again gives you a chance to pick the brain of someone with more experience.
    Last edited by EJ257; 11-30-2009 at 07:36 AM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Yeah i've also wondered about this, but does anyone know if there are some tracks near/around maryland/?

Quote Originally Posted by lil al View Post
    Yeah i've also wondered about this, but does anyone know if there are some tracks near/around maryland/?
    Washington DC Region runs at FedEx Field.
    WDCR Home

Also I run the autocross program for Philly Region. We should have a few events at Delaware Park this coming season.
    Philadelphia Region SCCA
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

I would recommend to get to know your car, the car's abilities, and your driving abilities, before venturing into a modded class.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.