RIP Pentti Airikkala

This is a discussion on RIP Pentti Airikkala within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; One of the great unsung heroes of rallying, Pentii Airikkala has passed away at age 64, after a long illness. ...

RIP Pentti Airikkala

One of the great unsung heroes of rallying, Pentii Airikkala has passed away at age 64, after a long illness. He was a mainstay of the British championship during the '70s and '80s, winning in '79 in a Vauxhall Chevette (nothing like the US car of the same name as the pic shows)

His career suffered through his allegiance to Vauxhall, whose cars were never really great and who had no solution when GroupB arrived, but in the twilight of his career his great perserverance gained him his only WRC win in what was then one of the toughest events in the calendar, the RAC. The story of that event is told here. (This was the last RAC I attended and I was actually present at Ari Vatanen's "incident" @ about 5:45) The footage also has a glimpse of Colin McRae's early career, in his legendary style!

Pentii went on to run a rally school in the UK and became the mentor of many young Finnish drivers making their moves in that country, notably Miko Hirvonen and Jari-Mati Latvala.

Put your right foot on the accelerator and your left foot on the brake. Whichever you press, press HARD – Pentii Airikkala

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    RIP Pentti

1989 RAC in the venerable Mitsubishi Galant VR4
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

I Support ClubWRX
    Oh no, that's terrible! Thanks for the memories Pentti, RIP! This is so sad.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote:
    Put your right foot on the accelerator and your left foot on the brake. Whichever you press, press HARD Pentii Airikkala
    I love this quote,tells a lot about the kind of racer Pentii was.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[