Renault Fires F1 Team Leaders..."singapore gate" cont:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Renault Fires F1 Team Leaders..."singapore gate" cont: within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; By Quentin Spurring | 09/16/09, 8:30 am et Renault has fired Formula One team principal Flavio Briatore and engineering director ...

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

Post Renault Fires F1 Team Leaders..."singapore gate" cont:

By Quentin Spurring | 09/16/09, 8:30 am et
    Renault has fired Formula One team principal Flavio Briatore and engineering director Pat Symonds, and says it will offer no defense to the allegation it "fixed" the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix by ordering Nelson Piquet Jr. to crash. Renault is set to appear at a hearing before the World Motor Sport Council on Monday.
    Briatore and Symonds stand accused of asking Piquet to crash deliberately early in the race to bring out the safety car, which enabled teammate Fernando Alonso to move to the head of the field. Alonso went on to win the race.
    Renault's decision to admit the guilt of its wholly owned team, and to fire two of the best-known personalities in Formula One, will not cause the FIA to cancel the hearing.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    This is a tough one to call... Maybe they ought to have simply kept Briatore et al. on since the hearing would have gone on anyway, and it is with that in mind IMO unlikely any fine will now become smaller anyway.

I wonder exactly what the orders were. After all, a radio call along the lines of "Go faster, don't worry about crashing, take risks to get points!" is easy to interpret either way (good-willed, sporting encouragement vs. orders to bring out the safety car) and is probably easy to defend ("Look, we wanted our driver to go out and race these guys, we were willing to risk damage to our car to improve our points and our driver's experience..."). So for them to be dragged to a hearing and for them to fire their top 2 men the orders must have been something more radical, along the lines of "just crash the damned car!"

F1 would not be as interesting without the politics, it's like football that way sometimes.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

this is shocking!
    Bugeye Mafia member #79
    The Blobeye Syndicate #79
    01 WRB WRX aka The Scooby - Sold
    05 WRB STi aka The STi (EJ207)

All We'll Drive

I Support ClubWRX
    Big news!
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I'd been following the Piquet case and I thought for sure that he was just making it up or something. I was really surprised. Briatore has been around forever.

I wish we could make it a season without any huge scandals that make F1 look like joke but doesn't seem we can even make it a few races without one.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333 View Post
    I'd been following the Piquet case and I thought for sure that he was just making it up or something. I was really surprised. Briatore has been around forever.

I wish we could make it a season without any huge scandals that make F1 look like joke but doesn't seem we can even make it a few races without one.
    F1 should always be about the best in the world competing in historic, world-famous venues (and I say this because I find the idea of venues in the middle of the desert in Asia nauseating) with the best equipment humanity can design at any given time... but it should also be about drama, millionaire playboys in ego contests, intrigue, far-fetched, 007-style conspiracies, yachts, helicopters, and so on. It's more fun that way.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    F1 should always be about the best in the world competing in historic, world-famous venues (and I say this because I find the idea of venues in the middle of the desert in Asia nauseating) with the best equipment humanity can design at any given time... but it should also be about drama, millionaire playboys in ego contests, intrigue, far-fetched, 007-style conspiracies, yachts, helicopters, and so on. It's more fun that way.
    I see what your saying but race fixing goes a bit beyond entertaining drama I think. Although, Renault didn't win the WCC or WDC last season so I suppose it only matter so much.
    FORZA FERRARI

I Support ClubWRX
    Eh, so they tried to fix a race. Who hasn't? Remember in the old days when a team added lead shot to the fuel so the car could "gain" weight for the post-race technical inspection? Or more recent allegations of moving aerodynamic aids? Or etc.? It's all part of the fun. If you're not pushing the rules, if you are not at the verge of a complaint after every single GP and even every single qualifying session, you're not pushing hard enough.

Plus, team orders are a part of life and the no-orders rule is proving to be silly/hard to enforce fairly. I say let the drama run!

Eh, so they tried to fix a race. Who hasn't? Remember in the old days when a team added lead shot to the fuel so the car could "gain" weight for the post-race technical inspection? Or more recent allegations of moving aerodynamic aids? Or etc.? It's all part of the fun. If you're not pushing the rules, if you are not at the verge of a complaint after every single GP and even every single qualifying session, you're not pushing hard enough.

Plus, team orders are a part of life and the no-orders rule is proving to be silly/hard to enforce fairly. I say let the drama run!
    Yeah I can see what your saying. I suppose it seems worse when they are ordering someone to crash but the aim is not any different than any of the very entertaining rule skirting you listed above.
    FORZA FERRARI

I Support ClubWRX
    ... And it's so freaking expensive! An F1 chassis isn't something one just slaps together... they cost MONEY! I love that F1 is a multi-billion-Euro "game" to these people, and that the big teams spend more on development and running expenses than some nations spend on defense...

There's two extreme ways to look at this stuff IMO... Either as a purist and diehard motorsport competition grassroots fan, in which case you'd be disgusted with it and denounce it at your next autocross meet, or as a thrill seeking "people watcher," in which case you'll grab your designer sunglasses, throw a couple bespoke suits into your handmade leather suitcase, and jet off to Monaco. At this point I'm more into the grain and circuses camp frankly!

I Support ClubWRX
    ... And it's so freaking expensive! An F1 chassis isn't something one just slaps together... they cost MONEY! I love that F1 is a multi-billion-Euro "game" to these people, and that the big teams spend more on development and running expenses than some nations spend on defense...

There's two extreme ways to look at this stuff IMO... Either as a purist and diehard motorsport competition grassroots fan, in which case you'd be disgusted with it and denounce it at your next autocross meet, or as a thrill seeking "people watcher," in which case you'll grab your designer sunglasses, throw a couple bespoke suits into your handmade leather suitcase, and jet off to Monaco. At this point I'm more into the grain and circuses camp frankly!
    It is extremely entertaining in either case. The one- upmanshipping is a sight to behold considering the costs involved.
    Bugeye Mafia #337

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    F1 where the FUN never ends
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    "Singapore Gate" continues:...........

Nelsinho Piquet's father and manager Nelson Piquet has insisted that the pair have nothing to fear from the legal action being taken against them by ousted former Renault F1 managing director Flavio Briatore, suggesting the Italian got so powerful that he 'believed he could walk on water' and was beyond reproach.

It was announced yesterday (Wednesday) that Briatore had parted company with Renault, the team with which he has been largely synonymous throughout his 20-year career in the top flight, originally coming in with the Enstone-based outfit's predecessor Benetton back in 1989.

read more: Crash.net Piquet talks

--------------------------------------------------
    Briatore explains Renault exit:

Flavio Briatore has claimed his decision to leave Renault F1 was made purely in the interests of the team.

A brief statement on Wednesday announced that Renault would not dispute the race fix allegations for which it must face an FIA hearing in Paris Monday, while adding that both team boss Briatore and engineering director Pat Symonds had 'left the team'.

It wasn't made clear if the pair had resigned or been fired, but Briatore - who steered Renault to two world titles with Fernando Alonso - has made his motives clear.

"I was just trying to save the team. It's my duty,” he told The Mirror. “That's the reason I've finished."

read more: Crash.net Briatore explains exit

---------------------------------------------------------
    Briatore and Symonds to face criminal charges?

As the dust begins to settle from yesterday's bombshell that Flavio Briatore and Pat Symonds have left their posts as respectively managing director and executive director of engineering at Renault F1 over the 'Singapore-gate' scandal, it is being debated whether the pair could now face criminal charges for endangering lives.

The French outfit is due to appear before the FIA World Motor Sport Council (WMSC) in Paris on 21 September charged with bringing the sport into disrepute by having committed 'a breach of Article 151c of the International Sporting Code, that the team conspired with its driver, Nelson Piquet Jr, to cause a deliberate crash at the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix with the aim of causing the deployment of the safety car to the advantage of its other driver, Fernando Alonso'.

read more: Crash.net criminal charges ?

---------------------------------------------------

David Richards to step into breach at Renault F1?

As Renault F1 debates its future at the highest level in the wake of the highly damaging 'Singapore-gate' scandal and departure of managing director Flavio Briatore and executive director of engineering Pat Symonds, it is being mused in some quarters of the paddock that David Richards could be parachuted in to fill the void.

read more: Crash.net David Richards to step in ?
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I Support ClubWRX
    Renault has received a penalty of a suspended disqualification from the FIA World Championship until 2011, the World Motor Sport Council decided in Paris on Monday.

Renault's decision not to contest the charges against it, and to oust those responsible, was looked upon favorably by the FIA. The decision means that the team will race in Singapore next weekend and that it will not face further sanctions unless it commits another offense.

The key outcome of Monday's hearing is that Flavio Briatore has been banned indefinitely from any involvement in international motorsport. This also will affect his involvement in the GP2 series, while drivers under his management control--including Fernando Alonso, Mark Webber and Heikki Kovalainen--will not be issued superlicences if he remains in charge of their management.

Meanwhile, team engineer Pat Symonds has been banned for five years.
    Bugeye Mafia #337

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    "All We'll Drive"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast