First time at the track =/
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on First time at the track =/ within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey all, I finally registered although I have been viewing this forum for over a year. I have a 2005 ...

First time at the track =/

Hey all, I finally registered although I have been viewing this forum for over a year. I have a 2005 STI, protuned Stage 1 at 312Whp and around 315?wtq. I was at the local track last weekend and was not impressed with my 1\4 mile times.

It was 87 degress out, near sea-level, and I was running 13.5's with a 0-60 of 1.7-1.8. I was shifting well and fast right at redline. I have heard of people on here with around my hp\tq running high 12's. Does it sound like I may have something wrong with the car and lacking power since last dynoed? Or does temperature have that large of an effect?

Any tips for a better time? Thanks a lot!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

your protuned stage 1 at 315whp? that must be a pretty aggressive map. neways welcome to the club. to see fi your losing power try to see if you can get some datalogs or see if you can hit the dyno. are all of your fluids good?
    2007 WRB WRX Limited SOLD
    2008 QSM Legacy Spec.B

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds like someone forgot to correct the dyno readings. Realistically you're making about 250-260 whp.
    Last edited by brfatal; 08-03-2009 at 10:32 PM.

I was tuned at P-R-E in Portland. All I have is a down-pipe, everything else is stock. I have the dyno prints somewhere, but it shows 312whp, stock run was 245ish.

What type of dyno do they have?

Edit: I looked on their site but couldn't find what they use.

Edit: Found something from a vehicle they tuned. Dyno Dynamics Dynamometer it says on the sheet.

There is a thread on here posted by P-R-E showing the results they got from a bone-stock STI. It put out 298WHP and 318WTQ.

Maybe I'll get a dyno run at a third-party shop.

Quote Originally Posted by ktmr1der03 View Post
    There is a thread on here posted by P-R-E showing the results they got from a bone-stock STI. It put out 298WHP and 318WTQ.

Maybe I'll get a dyno run at a third-party shop.
    Sounds like seriously inflated or uncorrected dyno numbers to me. If you are putting down that kind of power with that 60' time you should be running high 12's to low 13's. You should probably be shifting well before redline. My 06 was protuned with a downpipe and made a little less power, and they gave me a printout of the psi at the entire rpm range. I found that I ran the fastest shifting at 5500 rpm. ran a 13.1@103.5 with a 1.7 60' time at 270whp and 295 wtq tuned at 18.5 psi

Quote Originally Posted by 96accord View Post
    What type of dyno do they have?

Edit: I looked on their site but couldn't find what they use.

Edit: Found something from a vehicle they tuned. Dyno Dynamics Dynamometer it says on the sheet.
    dyno dynamics dyno is usually one of the highest reading dynos out their. Their is a great article in the newest issue of modified magazine. It compares every kind of awd dyno. Il list the results for those who cant get the article. the test car is a 06 evo 9 that is stage 2.

mustang dyno-292.7 whp
    dyno dynamics-318.6 whp
    dynojet-312.5 whp
    dynapack-324.4 whp
    dynojet-315.9 whp

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Ah so you're stage 2 then, not stage 1.

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    Ah so you're stage 2 then, not stage 1.
    yeah i picked up on that too. (after his last post about the DP)

I wasnt sure if just having a DP and tune meant stage 1 or 2. I thought stage 2 was turbo-back exhaust.

So going to redline is not the best way to drag race these cars?

Quote Originally Posted by ktmr1der03 View Post
    I wasnt sure if just having a DP and tune meant stage 1 or 2. I thought stage 2 was turbo-back exhaust.

So going to redline is not the best way to drag race these cars?
    you have to see where the motor makes peak hp and tq. my motor makes peak tourque at around 3800rpm and peak hp around 4800rpm. By shifting at 5500 it puts me right back down in the meat of the powerband. Power drops off above 6000rpm so if I was just to shift at redline(which I did first time at the track) I would run 4-5 tenths slower. a good tuner shop will give you the printout of the powerband and psi along with the peak hp and tq numbers
    Last edited by turbotwist; 08-05-2009 at 10:07 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.