XGames 15...woot!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on XGames 15...woot! within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Rally car just started with 07 STI getting it's butt kicked by a Ford Course looks interesting ......

XGames 15...woot!

Rally car just started with 07 STI getting it's butt kicked by a Ford

Course looks interesting ...
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I just watched the first few races and am surprisingly disapointed. It has a distinct 'circus spectacle' feel rather than a motorsport event.

I admit that I do not know what the rules are, what classes run, modifications are allowed, etc. I don't see how Team operations like Pastrana's NA Rally Subaru, if that is what it is, are competing against what appears to lower level cars.

Additionally the announcers focus so much on the gap jump that the rest of the course seems to be irrelevant. I love Rally racing, and understand that it needs to be "X-Gamed" up to attract new fans, however it just seems to have swung too far toward the "X-Game spectacle" and too far from what it is, a one of a kind Motorsport event.

How in the world can a guy like Deegan, with nearly no Rally car racing experience, be competing in a world class race like this? That is not a rhetorical question, is he really the most talented driver available?

I give it a C-minus.
    Last edited by seanmcd; 08-02-2009 at 02:18 PM.

I feel the same way with the whole "X-gamed" changes and I respect rally a lot. Personally, I love watching Xgames rally but agree that it is not as near as raw or intense as real rally. P.S.-the Fiesta is a cool car, and I'd rather see a Fiesta beat a Subaru than an EVO

Since I don't want to be uneducated, I researched and it appears the Subaru and Ford teams are running with Rally America Open Class Specs.

I am not sure if the other cars are running the same, if anyone knows offer it up. It seems that Ford has put significant effort into their effort this year and is fielding the 3 Fiesta's driven by Deegan, Foust and ex Indy car driver and Indy 500 winner Kenny Brack.

It seems the best approach to the huge gap jump is less is more, overshoot it and the nose dips into the landing ramp, wrecking the front end.

I didn't understand why avoiding the jump results in a disqualification. Block got all twisted up approaching the jump and had to avoid it, but he put his competitor at minimal risk by doing so.

Brack definitely looked good throughout the event and deserved to win, but as a Subaru owner I was disappointed to see Pastrana make a mistake that cost him the race.

Good event overall. Definitely not as good as past years, but who can replace McRae and Grist?

-Shadow
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Midnight Black Pearl
    2009 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon 5MT - Dark Gray Metallic

Yes, seeing our Subie idols in a Ford was disappointing. I really wanted to see that 2.5RS beat that fiesta...

Btw, I liked the Fords, but damn, one more cool car not available in the US.

Also, Evos still can't jump...
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

DUB
    X-Games sucks.

It used to be cool up until about the time they got rid of flatland BMX.

Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    X-Games sucks.
    Thanks for sharing your opinion.

How about saying having only one WRX sucks? It's not the case, but I could state it just to ruin everyone's fun in having just one WRX.

IMO, X-Games has done a lot to raise the profile of rally racing the US.

-Shadow
    Last edited by Shadow; 08-02-2009 at 04:46 PM.

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Thanks for sharing your opinion.

How about saying having only one WRX sucks?

-Shadow
    Having only one WRX is ok. I'm enjoying it.

edit after your edit: I ruined your fun in the X-Games by stating that it sucked?

Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    Having only one WRX is ok. I'm enjoying it.

edit after your edit: I ruined your fun in the X-Games by stating that it sucked?
    You didn't ruin my fun of the X-Games, but it seems callous to post X-Games sucks in a thread titled XGames 15 ... woot!

Either way, no big deal, just my observation.

-Shadow
    Last edited by Shadow; 08-02-2009 at 04:57 PM.

It's sad to see how Subaru has completely abandoned motorsports and rally teams. Foust in a Ford? Block not trusting the car to jump it? Pastrana DNF? The best performance by a Subie was the 2.5RS.

And Subaru still sells the STI in good conscience? Yeah, they just want the bucks now. Colin must be rolling in his grave.

I'm so pissed at the bean counters at Subaru now

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    ^psst subaru didnt give up completely they still help Subaru Rally team USA , all Grp N Subaru teams and various other teams Nuburgring 24hrs etc
    they just stopped the WRC/Prodrive program!.

-------------------------------------------------------
    although the Fiestas are 600hp Rally Cross Spec Cars!! unless they were de-tuned for the event ....what i find thats scary is the Indy car driver beat the rally guys ! but totally unlucky for Travis at the end

--------------------------------------------------------
    anywho onto the Article from Autoblog.com:

We're not going to say we told you so because we didn't but we are going to go ahead and say we're totally not shocked that former Indy 500 champ Kenny Brack just won some X Games gold. After all, we're still a touch weak in the knees from our little ride along with him and his atomic weasel Ford Fiesta rally car last Thursday. First thing's first: what a coup for Ford. Beating Subaru at X Games is like beating Muhammad Ali in the 1960s. It just doesn't happen very often. Turns out that the big jump that had everyone at Ford a little more worried than they were publicly letting on just wasn't an issue. The hopped up Fiestas did great. In fact all three Ford drivers (Brack, Foust and Deegan) made it to the semifinals, along with Subaru's Travis Pastrana.

What a great intro to the sport of rallying for Kenny Brack. It looked as if Foust was going to beat Brack heads up, but then Tanner spun out and Brack was pitted against Pastrana and his Subaru in the final. Pastrana is ahead after one lap and everyone had pretty much concluded that he was about to win his umpteenth X Game event. But at the start of the second lap, Pastrana goes wide, spins, hits the back left side of his car against a barrier and can't continue. Ten years after winning the the Indy 500, Kenny Brack wins X Games Rally gold. Good job, Kenny.

click read more/pics/vid:
    Autoblog.com X Games 15
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

A minor note on Deegan is he previously was competing in truck off road racing as well, which i'm sure helped with rally prep and handling.

Sucks to see subie lose to ford, but in the end, the car did its job and driver faults happen to the best.

Oh well better luck next time.

to the Fiesta tho, very precise driving.
    --Justin

Hawk-Eye Alliance #128

That aint a Fiesta, its a Spaceship with stickers!!!
    Tyler - Aspen White 04' STI
    Blobeye Syndicate #40
    Stage 2 - 312HP ~ 339 lb ft. torque
    Live Gamertag - TMANN05
    NOTE: If you run a turbocharger beyond its compressor efficiency range, it will turn into a flame thrower.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.