The Return of Schumacher..

This is a discussion on The Return of Schumacher.. within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; ..for a while, at least. Should be interesting.. Formula One news: Official: Schumacher returns to replace Massa - GPUpdate.net Formula ...

I Support ClubWRX

The Return of Schumacher..

--Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

Seven-time F1 champion Michael Schumacher is set to return to the sport for the European Grand Prix in Valencia after Ferrari confirmed that the German driver is its choice to replace the injured Felipe Massa.

Schumacher, the most successful driver in the history of the sport, quit F1 at the end of the 2006 season but will now come out of retirement to make a comeback as Massa continues to recover from the injuries he sustained in his accident at the Hungaoring.

In a short statement, Ferrari revealed that Schumacher will shortly begin a specific training programme, which will be followed by confirmation that he will partner Kimi Raikkonen in the Spanish race.

The news comes just a day after Schumacher's manager Willi Weber said he was '200 per cent sure' that the most successful F1 driver of all time wouldn't be on the grid in Spain.

However, Schumacher said he 'couldn't ignore the unfortunate situation' that Ferrari now finds itself in following Massa's accident and has agreed to make a return after meeting with Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo and team boss Stefano Domenicali.

"The most important thing first: thank God, all news concerning Felipe are positive,” Schumacher said. “I wish him all the best again.

“I was meeting this afternoon with Stefano Domenicali and Luca di Montezemolo and together we decided that I will prepare myself to take the place of Felipe. Though it is true that the chapter Formula 1 has been closed for me since long and completely, it is also true that for loyalty reasons to the team I cannot ignore that unfortunate situation.

“As the competitor I am, I very much look forward to facing this challenge."

Link:
    Crash.net Schumi to return !
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

OH ****!

I would have bet huge money against that. This is going to be ****ing awesome!
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    Somehow I figured that Cavvy would be pleased.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Schumi,Schumi,Schumi....
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red

WOOOO! Go SCHUMI!

I got to bump this because I thought this was hilarious to find in the news section on the Ferrari site this morning. If you haven't been following SF wanted an expemtion from the forced vacation to allow schumacher to test he current car rather than the the 2007 car to skirt the rules. Evidently Williams and Red Bull were against it, the scuderia gave up trying to convince the FIA but this was Ferrari's response to Williams.

Indiscretion

Indiscretion

"Maranello, 4th August 2009 - Guess who opposed the test with the F60? A team that hasn't won anything for years and yet didn't pass over the opportunity to demonstrate once more a lack of spirit of fair play.
    Just for the record, the Scuderia Ferrari had given its approval to let Alguersuari test, but it seems even in this instance someone decided to stick to the precise wording of the regulations."

Last edited by cavallino333; 08-04-2009 at 05:27 PM.
    FORZA FERRARI

I Support ClubWRX
    For the benefit of those that haven't been following this...apparently it's now official that Schumie will not be coming back in Massa's place due to a neck injury.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I Support ClubWRX
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I just saw that this morning ****!
    FORZA FERRARI

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Michael Schumacher has decided against making a return to Formula One just over a week before he was due to rejoin Ferrari at the European Grand Prix in Valencia.

The seven-time world champion has cited lingering doubts over a neck injury as the reason for his decision.

Schumacher had been due to test for a further two days at Mugello in preparation for his return, but called time on his plans on the eve of his return to the ****pit of the 2007-spec Ferrari, which he had been running on GP2 slicks in a bid to get to grips with one of the areas of technology that have changed since his 2006 retirement. A bid to run a full 2009-spec machine, with its heavily revised aerodynamic package was denied by Williams and Red Bull last week.

Schumacher's neck injury is the result of a spill from a superbike in February, as he pursued his new-found love of bike racing in retirement from F1. The 40-year old suffered some discomfort after testing for the first time at Mugello ten days ago, but had hoped to be able to recover with treatment and fitness training between outings. However, lingering pain forced him to seek a second opinion on Monday [10 August] and, heeding advice from doctors, the German took the hard decision to end his comeback bid.

"Unfortunately, we did not manage to get a grip on the pain, which occurred after the private test day at Mugello," Schumacher revealed on his personal website, "As there were no improvements after the day at Mugello, I decided at short notice on Sunday to get a thorough examination on Monday.

"Unfortunately, the consequences of the injuries caused by the bike accident in February - fractures in the area of head and neck - turned out to be too severe for my neck to withstand the extreme stresses caused by F1. These are the clear results of the examinations we did in the course of the past two weeks and the final examination on Monday afternoon."

read more:
    crash.net schumi abandons f1 return
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    Michael Schumacher has decided against making a return to Formula One just over a week before he was due to rejoin Ferrari at the European Grand Prix in Valencia.

The seven-time world champion has cited lingering doubts over a neck injury as the reason for his decision.

Schumacher had been due to test for a further two days at Mugello in preparation for his return, but called time on his plans on the eve of his return to the ****pit of the 2007-spec Ferrari, which he had been running on GP2 slicks in a bid to get to grips with one of the areas of technology that have changed since his 2006 retirement. A bid to run a full 2009-spec machine, with its heavily revised aerodynamic package was denied by Williams and Red Bull last week.

Schumacher's neck injury is the result of a spill from a superbike in February, as he pursued his new-found love of bike racing in retirement from F1. The 40-year old suffered some discomfort after testing for the first time at Mugello ten days ago, but had hoped to be able to recover with treatment and fitness training between outings. However, lingering pain forced him to seek a second opinion on Monday [10 August] and, heeding advice from doctors, the German took the hard decision to end his comeback bid.

"Unfortunately, we did not manage to get a grip on the pain, which occurred after the private test day at Mugello," Schumacher revealed on his personal website, "As there were no improvements after the day at Mugello, I decided at short notice on Sunday to get a thorough examination on Monday.

"Unfortunately, the consequences of the injuries caused by the bike accident in February - fractures in the area of head and neck - turned out to be too severe for my neck to withstand the extreme stresses caused by F1. These are the clear results of the examinations we did in the course of the past two weeks and the final examination on Monday afternoon."

read more:
    crash.net schumi abandons f1 return
    I am sure Ferrari is dissapointed but I give Schumacher 2 big thumbs up for trying. How is Massa coming along?

Flirty User That's Younger Than the Chunks of Corn in Brian's Crap

so it's not happening?
    2002 WRX Yellow Blaze

Bugeye Mafia #216

High Mileage Club

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't quite think it was ever happening. People go from bikes to cars, not cars to bikes -- think Surtees, Hailwood, or even Bazza who raced lorries and saloons after bikes. Schumi went in but everything was NITRO in his life, he got broken up and he blew the chance he did have at a comeback. Oops.

If he weren't a millionaire with a wall of trophies one might feel bad for him.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    With Michael Schumacher now confirmed to have canceled his comeback due to a neck injury sustained in a motorcycle accident, Ferrari has been left with no choice but to put one of its veteran test drivers into Felipe Massa's seat until the injured Brazilian is ready to return to active duty. The trouble is that while other teams use the test driver position to groom up-and-coming drivers for the race seat, Ferrari's approach has been to use older, more experienced drivers past their prime.

Rather than give the seat to Marc Gené, who continues to race actively for Peugeot at Le Mans and last raced in a grand prix in 2004, Ferrari has decided to award the seat to Luca Badoer, its senior test driver. While testing the Ferrari California last summer, we had a chance to talk with Badoer on his way to the season-closing Brazilian Grand Prix and found him to be a good-natured and affable individual. Still, while his development skills are unrivaled, his actual Formula One race experience leaves something to be desired.

It's been ten years since Badoer last started a race – the longest gap in F1 history – and he rejoins the field as the oldest driver on the grid, narrowly eclipsing his former team-mate Rubens Barrichello at 38. Although he moved to F1 after winning the Formula 3000 title in 1992, in his four seasons and 48 grands prix in the big league (all with Italian teams, incidentally), he failed to score a single point (let alone a race win) and famously broke down in tears alongside his car after it failed to take him to a fourth-place finish at the 1999 European Grand Prix. Ten years later, he's looking to improve his record, and we'll be watching to see how he does

read more: Autoblog.com Big Schu to Fill
    "All We'll Drive"