BMW follows Honda out of F1

This is a discussion on BMW follows Honda out of F1 within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; BMW has confirmed that it is to quit F1 at the end of the 2009 season, becoming the second major ...

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

BMW follows Honda out of F1

BMW has confirmed that it is to quit F1 at the end of the 2009 season, becoming the second major manufacturer to leave the sport in barely eight months.

An emergency press conference called at BMW's headquarters in Munich confirmed the news, although the manufacturer will continue with its motorsport programme elsewhere.

The decision to restructure its motorsport plans was made following a board meeting on Tuesday, with a statement revealing that 'resources freed up as a result are to be dedicated to the development of new drive technologies and projects in the field of sustainability'.

“Of course, this was a difficult decision for us, but it's a resolute step in view of our company's strategic realignment," Dr. Norbert Reithofer, Chairman of the Board of Management of BMW AG, said. “Premium will increasingly be defined in terms of sustainability and environmental compatibility. This is an area in which we want to remain in the lead.

“In line with our Strategy Number ONE, we are continually reviewing all projects and initiatives to check them for future viability and sustainability. Our Formula One campaign is thus less a key promoter for us.

“Mario Theissen has been in charge of our motor sports program since 1999. We have scored a large number of successes in this period, including some in Formula One racing. I would like to express my sincere gratitude to Mario Theissen and his team for this,”

Having been an engine supplier to Williams for a number of years, BMW purchased the Sauber team in 2005 and entered a team under its own banner in 2006 – showing gradual improvement before the 2008 campaign, when Robert Kubica took BMW's maiden win and finished fourth in the championship standings.

However, rather than build on that performance, BMW has struggled this season following the introduction of new regulations and currently lie down in eighth place in the standings with just eight points.

Click: Crash.net F1 News

Last edited by Weasel 555; 07-29-2009 at 04:37 AM.
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

BMW confirmed this morning that they are to leave Formula One at the end of the season stating that the resources ‘freed up’ from its exit from the sport will be deployed in other areas. The German car maker took over the Sauber team in 2006 and has since gone on to record one victory.

“Of course, we, the employees in Hinwil and Munich, would all have liked to continue this ambitious campaign and show that this season was just a hiccup following three successful years,” said BMW Motorsport Director Mario Theissen. “But I can understand why this decision was made from a corporate perspective. We will now focus sharply on the remaining races and demonstrate our fighting spirit and put in a good result as we bid farewell to Formula One racing.”

The current season has been a struggle for the Hinwil-based team with Nick Heidfeld and Robert Kubica 13th and 15th in the championship respectively.

Read more click: F1-Live.com BMW News
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

There goes another one - Sad, this sux!
    Bugeye Mafia member #79
    The Blobeye Syndicate #79
    01 WRB WRX aka The Scooby - Sold
    05 WRB STi aka The STi (EJ207)

All We'll Drive

oh glory!
    **__The Hawk-Eye Alliance__**
    Member #0135

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Sad news,I would have liked to see them get the championship in the future.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red