FIA switches World Rally to turbo formula for 2011

This is a discussion on FIA switches World Rally to turbo formula for 2011 within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; The FIA World Motor Sport Council turned the rallying world on its head on Wednesday. Rather than committing to the ...

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

FIA switches World Rally to turbo formula for 2011

The FIA World Motor Sport Council turned the rallying world on its head on Wednesday. Rather than committing to the Super 2000 formula for 2.0-liter naturally aspirated cars with strict controls on the technology to limit costs--which was the plan in March--the FIA has decided that the World Rally Championship will launch an all-new, 1.6-liter turbocharged formula in 2011.

The FIA said the change would bring the WRC "in line with the engine used in the cars on sale to the public."

There currently is only one 1.6-liter turbocharged engine in use in rallying, fitted to a Group R Peugeot 207 in the Intercontinental Rally Challenge. Meanwhile, 10 manufacturers have built Super 2000 cars, competing in both the Production World Rally Championship and the Intercontinental Rally Challenge.

In March, FIA president Max Mosley appeared to endorse the Super 2000 decision.

"The only manufacturers coming in are those with a Super 2000 car," he said. "Fortunately, there are quite a number of these. That's one of the reasons why it's important to have this as the main category of WRC."

It's not apparent what changed since then, although it is understood that harmonizing the engines for the WRC and the World Touring Car Championship is a factor. Sources close to the FIA also suggest that Volkswagen is keen to join the sport, but only if small-capacity turbocharged engines are adopted.

Meanwhile, in an effort to try and bolster the number of competitors in WRC events throughout the season, the Super 2000 formula will be retained in a standalone "WRC Cup" category, alongside the main championship and its supporting Production WRC and Junior WRC classes. Manufacturers and teams with Super 2000 machinery must decide whether to compete for class victories in the WRC or outright victories on the Intercontinental Rally Challenge.

WRC event organizers have been granted much greater flexibility in planning their rounds of the World Rally Championship beginning in 2010.

With the return of International Sportsworld Communicators as the series promoter--which presided over the sport's most popular era of 1999-2003--more effort is being put into promoting each round of the series to fans and to increase TV viewership worldwide.

Among the changes, rallies may be run over two, three or four days but must finish on a Saturday or Sunday. To increase the spectacle, there will be freedom to mix asphalt and gravel surfaces either within a stage or within the itinerary of a day.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    interesting news thanks
    you have the link or is it the story from crash.net
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

I Support ClubWRX
    1.6L motors haven't been seen much in the WRC since the Group A and Group B era, but it's a step in the right direction.

Mixing gravel and tarmac stages is also a step in the right direction, and also something not seen since Group B. However, mixing tarmac and gravel on the same stage is probably not on -- after all, the mix stuff was scrapped back in 1986 due to safety concerns.

Making rallies shorter is also wrong IMO. Rallies are not rallycross sprint events. Bring back the torture and the night stages (since safety is apparently not a concern any more).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.