F1 breakaway quashed as Mosley agrees to go

This is a discussion on F1 breakaway quashed as Mosley agrees to go within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; The bitter civil war between the FIA and Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA) has been resolved and F1 has been ...

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

Post F1 breakaway quashed as Mosley agrees to go

The bitter civil war between the FIA and Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA) has been resolved and F1 has been saved from splitting disastrously in two, Max Mosley has revealed with the FIA President adding that as part of the trade-off for competitors' guarantees of commitment, he will not seek a fifth term in the most powerful and influential position in international motor racing after October.

Mosley, the sport's commercial rights-holder Bernie Ecclestone, FOTA and Ferrari President Luca di Montezemolo and 120 key FIA members met for further eleventh hour discussions at the World Motor Sport Council (WMSC) in Paris today, in what was billed as a 'last chance saloon' opportunity to find sufficient common ground after all previous talks had broken down.

As a result of that, it seems that following weeks of protracted and highly damaging political wrangling and in-fighting, a cost-cutting compromise has finally been struck between the two warring factions that will see the 2010 regulations remain the same as those in 2009 and heads off the spectre of a manufacturer-spearheaded 'breakaway' series.

The two points of contention had been the 40 million budget cap that Mosley intended introducing into the top flight as of next year, and what was seen as the Englishman's increasingly autocratic and arbitrary manner of governance even though the teams insisted that his resignation was not part of their mandate.

Following a long period of stalemate without any resolution being reached, FOTA announced on the eve of the British Grand Prix weekend late last week that it was pressing ahead with its menace of launching its own breakaway championship, free from the FIA's controversial and unpopular jurisdiction.

Read More click: Crash.net F1 News
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm a little bit disappointed. I'm glad the teams got what they wanted and Max is leaving but I can't help but feel we'll be here again not so far off future. I think it's good in the short term, but in the long run a FOTA run series may have been better. Of course it also could have completely destroyed and ruined both series so we'll never know.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    I read an interesting comment on a YouTube comment list for an Ari Vatanen video... "FIA awaits you Ari, for a better F1."

I can't help but agree that someone like Vatanen would be IMO great for the job. Not only is he respected among drivers worldwide*, he's also now a career politician (having represented two different nations in the European Parliament**, and no, I didn't vote a few weeks back because I can't vote by absentee -- the Americans do this better IMO, their absentee voting system is great).

Go Ari!

* Roerhl, in a camera interview, free translation: "...No, I didn't say the Peugeot is better than the Audi, I said Ari is faster than me!..."

** FI and then FR.

EDIT: Other nominations, by me (heh!):

1. Niki Lauda. Career businessman, repeat World Driving Champion, has seen the big teams without their makeup as a driver. No nonsense.
    2. Nigel Mansell. Used to organizational structures and understands legalities, having been a constable. Ditto about seeing teams without makeup. Best moustache in all of motorsport.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 06-25-2009 at 09:34 AM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Rumor has it Jean Todt is a front runner for the position. I'd like that.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333 View Post
    Rumor has it Jean Todt is a front runner for the position. I'd like that.
    So would rally fans (he's won world titles both from the park ferme in the 80s as well as the ****pit in the 70s) and the French. I'd prefer someone like Alain Prost personally but am coming to the conclusion that this is "one of those jobs" that ideally suits those people least likely to seek it out for themselves - the people that want it the least would be the best for it. Good luck to FIA under those circumstances.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Don't let the door hit you Max.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Don't let the door hit you Max.
    Oh don't say that; he might like it depending on where/how the door hits him. He's been in the news for his tastes and hobbies, you know...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Oh don't say that; he might like it depending on where/how the door hits him. He's been in the news for his tastes and hobbies, you know...
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb