F1 Teams drop bombshell !

This is a discussion on F1 Teams drop bombshell ! within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Formula 1 has been thrown into chaos after eight of its major teams said they are now planning to set ...

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

Post F1 Teams drop bombshell !

Formula 1 has been thrown into chaos after eight of its major teams said they are now planning to set up a rival championship for the 2010 season.
    The threat by members of the F1 Teams Association (Fota) escalates their row with world motorsport boss Max Mosley over his budget cap proposals.

"The teams have declined to alter their original conditional entries to the 2010 F1 Championship," said the teams.
    "We've no alternative than to commence preparation for a new championship."
    Mosley was insistent on introducing a voluntary £40m budget cap for teams to curtail a "financial arms race" in F1.

But Fota refused to agree to his conditions, prompting championship leader Brawn GP, Ferrari, McLaren, Renault, Toyota, BMW Sauber, Red Bull Racing and Toro Rosso to take their drastic action.

They announced their decision following a four-hour meeting on Thursday night ahead of this weekend's British Grand Prix at Silverstone.

read more:
    bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    The FOTA statement in full
    "Since the formation of FOTA last September the teams have worked together and sought to engage the FIA and commercial rights holder, to develop and improve the sport.

"Unprecedented worldwide financial turmoil has inevitably placed great challenges before the F1 community. FOTA is proud that it has achieved the most substantial measures to reduce costs in the history of our sport.

"In particular the manufacturer teams have provided assistance to the independent teams, a number of which would probably not be in the sport today without the FOTA initiatives. The FOTA teams have further agreed upon a substantial voluntary cost reduction that provides a sustainable model for the future.

"Following these efforts all the teams have confirmed to the FIA and the commercial rights holder that they are willing to commit until the end of 2012.

"The FIA and the commercial rights holder have campaigned to divide FOTA.

"The wishes of the majority of the teams are ignored. Furthermore, tens of millions of dollars have been withheld from many teams by the commercial rights holder, going back as far as 2006. Despite this and the uncompromising environment, FOTA has genuinely sought compromise.

"It has become clear however, that the teams cannot continue to compromise on the fundamental values of the sport and have declined to alter their original conditional entries to the 2010 World Championship.

"These teams therefore have no alternative other than to commence the preparation for a new Championship which reflects the values of its participants and partners. This series will have transparent governance, one set of regulations, encourage more entrants and listen to the wishes of the fans, including offering lower prices for spectators worldwide, partners and other important stakeholders.

"The major drivers, stars, brands, sponsors, promoters and companies historically associated with the highest level of motorsport will all feature in this new series."

Statement issued by FOTA on behalf of BMW Sauber, Brawn GP, Scuderia Ferrari, McLaren-Mercedes, Red Bull Racing, Scuderia Toro Rosso, Toyota

Click Link:Crash.net FOTA Statement
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    FIA 'disappointed but not surprised' by FOTA breakaway

The FIA has revealed that it is 'disappointed but not surprised' by the Formula One Teams' Association's announcement that it is to go ahead with its threat of forming a breakaway series following the collapse of negotiations regarding the future of the sport – accusing elements of FOTA of having deliberately 'sought this outcome' and having 'not engaged in the discussions in good faith'.

The FOTA bombshell has rocked the paddock on the eve of what looks set to be the final British Grand Prix at Silverstone this weekend, dashing any hopes of a last-minute compromise between F1's governing body and its competitors over Max Mosley's contentious new budget cap proposal, which the FIA President intends to implement from 2010 onwards.

The FOTA dissenters – composed of Ferrari, McLaren-Mercedes, BMW-Sauber, Renault, Toyota, Red Bull Racing, Scuderia Toro Rosso and current runaway world championship leaders Brawn GP – have been opposed to the radical cost-cutting initiative from the off, insisting that a reduction in annual budget from what is presently as much as £150 million or £200 million a year to just £40 million in time for the start of next season would be simply unworkable.

read more: Crash.net FIA disappointed but not surprised
    "All We'll Drive"

As a true F1 fan I believe this is sad... very sad. There is no way the teams can opperate on a 40 million budget, when it take between 4 to 5 times that to opperate 1 season.

I do understant what max mosely is trying to do... but this is too much!
    Bugeye Mafia member #79
    The Blobeye Syndicate #79
    01 WRB WRX aka The Scooby - Sold
    05 WRB STi aka The STi (EJ207)

All We'll Drive

max mosley needs to get out of f1!..f1 is supposed to be the most advanced motorsport in the world why restrict what the teams can do with budgets? if new teams cannot afford it they shouldnt be in f1 i just dont think its fair for all the other teams whove spend millions in development and testing to be on the same playing feild as a new team just paying 40 mill. its just a joke ill watch the new championship over f1 if all the teams leave...f max mosley hes killing the sport so many love..
    If you have everything under control you're going too slow.
    Bugeye Mafia #218 XPT gm bcs stage 2
    my mods
    HIGH MILEAGE CLUB
    ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECH.

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    The IRL/CART debacle almost killed racing here,I hope the F1 series fares better.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

I Support ClubWRX
    It will probably cause absolute chaos but IMO both sides have a point here and there. Innovation hasn't been restricted with rules in the past; quite the opposite, it has been stimulated. Consider the MPG restrictions under the turbo era, when cars with what would today be considered primitive electronics and producing 1000HP had a limited fuel supply. Or how every year when the rules try to slow the cars down the cars get faster.

The truth is that the teams could operate under a cap; maybe the proposed cap is too low but let's say 2X that or even 3X. It's also true that the sport has gotten more and more expensive for spectators, who are getting more and more frustrated. I know someone that went to the previous GP at Constantinople and a ticket cost a small fortune. He felt ripped off, despite enjoying the GP.

So something or some things had to change. That grown men who have performed hundred-million-euro transactions together in the past routinely cannot get along without crying to their local press for sympathy is just silly.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

This is for the better IMO. It wasn't just about the cap it was also about revenue sharing among the teams and giving the teams a greater role in setting regulations, both of which the FIA wasn't budging on.

The FIA was claiming they'd loose more teams without a cap but the manufacturers were behind the FOTA and they're the ones who pay the bills. They didn't want to reduce their budgets, so why should the FIA make them?, so we can have more teams like Manor F1 and Campos? Those aren't the teams people pay to see.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    FIA launches legal action against FOTA

Just moments after the conclusion of second free practice for the British Grand Prix at Silverstone, the FIA has announced that it will begin legal proceedings against the Formula One Teams Association over its proposal to form a breakaway series to rival F1.

FOTA made the announcement late on Thursday night that it was to start its own series in 2010, having failed to reach an agreement with the FIA to commit to the F1 grid for next season thanks to the ongoing dispute over Max Mosley's idea for a budget cap.

BMW Sauber, Brawn GP, Ferrari, McLaren, Red Bull Racing, Toro Rosso, Renault and Toyota all planned to quit F1 as a result of the ongoing dispute but the governing body has now responded with the threat of legal action.

In a short statement, the FIA revealed that the teams – and Ferrari in particular – had contractual commitments to F1 that couldn't broken, leaving it with little option but to begun legal proceedings.

The governing body also confirmed that the publication of the 2010 entry list has also been delayed.

“The FIA's lawyers have now examined the FOTA threat to begin a breakaway series,” the missive read. “The actions of FOTA as a whole, and Ferrari in particular, amount to serious violations of law including wilful interference with contractual relations, direct breaches of Ferrari's legal obligations and a grave violation of competition law. The FIA will be issuing legal proceedings without delay.

“Preparations for the 2010 FIA Formula One World Championship continue but publication of the final 2010 entry list will be put on hold while the FIA asserts its legal rights.”

crash.net/f1/news/

------------------------------------------

BBC News: with video click link:
    bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8109846.stm

Max Mosley has rejected claims by eight of the 10 Formula 1 teams that they will set up a breakaway series next year as "posing and posturing".
    President of governing body the FIA, Mosley said he will start legal action against teams umbrella group Fota.
    But he added in an exclusive BBC Sport interview: "We all know that there will be an F1 world championship and everyone who can be in it, will be."
    Red Bull boss Christian Horner said the two sides had reached a "stalemate".
    Ferrari, McLaren, Red Bull, Toro Rosso, Toyota, Renault, Brawn and BMW Sauber issued their threat late on Thursday evening.
    An FIA statement on Friday afternoon said Fota's actions amounted to "serious violations of law including wilful interference with contractual relations, direct breaches of Ferrari's legal obligations and a grave violation of competition law".
    The statement added that the 2010 F1 entry list, which the FIA had planned to publish on Friday, would be "put on hold while the FIA asserts its legal rights".

yay the FUN never ends
    "All We'll Drive"

I Support ClubWRX
    I can haz F1 racing next year?
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    nice Ad but ..............maybe the future of f1

YouTube - Santander TV Ad
    "All We'll Drive"

I Support ClubWRX
    Just so we're clear, even when Bernie and FIA and everyone take their cuts, F1 is still basically a billion-euro industry, right? I just want to make sure I understand the magnitude of the financial interests at stake here. This is way more money than I could make all week. I'm betting they'll sort something out.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

FIA has seemed pretty arbitrary in judgement and inflexible to me of late. I can't imagine any of the teams were actually pleased before the caps even came up.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

F1 : Ecclestone proposes budget cap be dropped - Ecclestone - F1-Live.com

Now Bernie says he'd drop the cap for the big teams if they signed a contract to race for 5 years.

I think it's a bad idea. Unless the teams can get a bigger role in the regulations we'll have the same problem in a year or two and then Bernie will have them all stuck in a contract so Max could do whatever he felt like.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.