WRC Acropolis Jun 10-14 2009
Official Website: acropolisrally.gr/en/
Official Website Gallery:
Acropolis Rally Gallery
Following on from Rally d'Italia Sardinia, the World Rally Championship now heads for Greece and one of the classic events on the calendar – the Acropolis Rally.
Rocky stages and stifling heat will play a key role in the outcome of the event, which features a number of new stages this year; providing an added challenge for the crews.
Success in Greece demands a blend of strength, reliability and speed. Rocky mountain tracks and punishing heat are the hallmarks of a rally that offers a new-look for 2009 – having moved from its Athen's base to Loutraki - but will doubtless maintain its traditional characteristics.
The gravel speed tests west of Athens have a fearsome reputation. Cars must withstand severe punishment from loose rocks which litter the surface of the mountain tracks, as well as bedrock which forms the base of the roads. Temperatures are likely to be well above 30ºC, placing high demands on engines and gearboxes. Because the winding, climbing roads and many hairpin bends make this a relatively slow rally (only Turkey was slower in 2008), there is little cooling from the flow of air.
Drivers and co-drivers can expect a tough weekend for the same reasons. There is no cooling inside the cars during special stages so ****pit temperatures are high and fitness plays a crucial role. Regular fluid intake is vital to stave off dehydration and ensure the crew operates at peak performance.
read more: Crash.net -Acropolis Preview
Shakedown times – Acropolis Rally:
1. Evgeny Novikov Citroen Junior Team C4 WRC 02mins 19.8secs MT
2. Sebastien Loeb Citroen Total WRT C4 WRC 02mins 20.1secs M
3. Federico Villagra Munchi's Ford Focus WRC 02mins 20.2secs MT
4. Mikko Hirvonen BP Ford Abu Dhabi Focus RS WRC 02mins 20.4secs M
5. Matthew Wilson Stobart VK Ford Focus WRC 02mins 20.6secs MT
6. Jari-Matti Latvala BP Ford Abu Dhabi Focus RS WRC02mins 20.8secs M
7. Dani Sordo Citroen Total WRT C4 WRC 02mins 21.2secs M
8. Petter Solberg PS WRT Citroen Xsara WRC 02mins 22.3secs A8
9. Sebastien Ogier Citroen Junior Team C4 WRC 02mins 22.3secs A8
10. Henning Solberg Stobart VK Ford Focus WRC 02mins 22.6secs MT
11. Mads Ostberg Adapta Subaru Impreza WRC2008 02mins 23.0secs A8
12. Conrad Rautenbach Citroen Junior Team C4 WRC 02mins 26.5secs MT
13. Khalid Al-Qassimi BP Ford Abu Dhabi Focus RS WRC 02mins 26.5secs A8