Launching Tips - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Launching Tips within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by virpacalis You are a moron and this site has become a complete waste of time. Poor guy. ...

Quote Originally Posted by virpacalis View Post
    You are a moron and this site has become a complete waste of time.
    Poor guy. He must have had a rough day.
    2012 Lightning Red WRX
    Sold: 2006 Sti
    Sold: 07 335i coupe Monaco Blue

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    hmmm...heads or tails
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

fre
    This of course depends on how tough your clutch is. If you have a fairly weak clutch and just dump it, it might slip just enough and get you moving or it could keep slipping and glaze. If you have a strong clutch and not enough power to spin your tires and dump it, that could be bad.

My best luck with a strong clutch is to slip the clutch just enough to get the car to barely start rolling and then dump it with your foot still on it (no sidestep) That way the clutch takes the initial shock and the driveline has a chance to take up any slack and tighten up before you lay the pain down. Of course if you lack the power to spin the tires or the clutch bad things could happen.

As far as rpms go, it depends on your powerband. You want to launch high enough to where if you drop a thousand rpm, you won't be completely out of your powerband. For me that happens to be 6500rpm. For a 2.5 liter subaru with a small turbo 4k-4500 would probably be enough.
    Last edited by fre; 06-22-2009 at 10:04 PM.
    11.1 @ 131

Thanks for the feedback. I use to drive an '06 but I just recently traded in for an 09. It has 1200 miles.

Anyone think that burning the clutch hard enough for a puff of smoke to come from the clutch would've glazed it? Or cause sever damage?

Should launching a new car with less than 1500 miles be ok?

Sorry to sound repetative. I ended up doing it again. Another puff of smoke. The gas pedal feel is just too sensitive in the 09 compared to the 06. Anyone have this problem in the 09?

I Support ClubWRX
    Really coming out of left field with the personal insult; no one's said anything that remotely calls for this.

If you're really done here, than happy trails and best of luck. If not, please follow our rules. You should certainly be aware of them by now.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

fre
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokescreenWRKS View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I use to drive an '06 but I just recently traded in for an 09. It has 1200 miles.

Anyone think that burning the clutch hard enough for a puff of smoke to come from the clutch would've glazed it? Or cause sever damage?

Should launching a new car with less than 1500 miles be ok?

Sorry to sound repetative. I ended up doing it again. Another puff of smoke. The gas pedal feel is just too sensitive in the 09 compared to the 06. Anyone have this problem in the 09?
    You will probably be okay for a few launches (10-20?), but if puffs of smoke are coming out your clutch won't last that long. With myy stock clutch, I dropped it the first time at the track and just sat there spinning the clutch, given it's a different car, but probably comparable strength on clutches. The worst that will probably happen is you just won't be able to get on it in a higher gear without the clutch slipping (more torque to the driveline) and that would be your signal to upgrade the clutch. I am sure they designed the clutch to slip in the event somebody decided to do what you are to spare the driveline.
    11.1 @ 131

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123