Ferrari to leave F1 in 2010 if FIA doesn't change the rules
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Ferrari to leave F1 in 2010 if FIA doesn't change the rules within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; News Corporate The Board of Directors also examined developments related to recent decisions taken by the Federation Internationale de l’Automobile ...

Ferrari to leave F1 in 2010 if FIA doesn't change the rules

News Corporate

The Board of Directors also examined developments related to recent decisions taken by the Federation Internationale de l’Automobile during an extraordinary meeting of the World Motor Sport Council on 29 April 2009. Although this meeting was originally called only to examine a disciplinary matter, the decisions taken mean that, for the first time ever in Formula 1, the 2010 season will see the introduction of two different sets of regulations based on arbitrary technical rules and economic parameters.

The Board considers that if this is the regulatory framework for Formula 1 in the future, then the reasons underlying Ferrari’s uninterrupted participation in the World Championship over the last 60 years – the only constructor to have taken part ever since its inception in 1950 – would come to a close.

The Board also expressed its disappointment about the methods adopted by the FIA in taking decisions of such a serious nature and its refusal to effectively reach an understanding with constructors and teams. The rules of governance that have contributed to the development of Formula 1 over the last 25 years have been disregarded, as have the binding contractual obligations between Ferrari and the FIA itself regarding the stability of the regulations. The same rules for all teams, stability of regulations, the continuity of the FOTA’s endeavours to methodically and progressively reduce costs, and governance of Formula 1 are the priorities for the future. If these indispensable principles are not respected and if the regulations adopted for 2010 will not change, then Ferrari does not intend to enter its cars in the next Formula 1 World Championship.

Ferrari trusts that its many fans worldwide will understand that this difficult decision is coherent with the Scuderia’s approach to motor sport and to Formula 1 in particular, always seeking to promote its sporting and technical values. The Chairman of the Board of Directors was mandated to evaluate the most suitable ways and methods to protect the company’s interests.
    This is pretty major. Moseley said a few weeks ago that F1 could stand to loose Ferrari and it looks like either one or the other is calling each others bluff. I think Ferrari fans count for a lot of F1 money and I personally wouldn't watch F1 if they leave.

It's about time someone stood up to the FIA and their mickey mouse regulations.
    Last edited by cavallino333; 05-12-2009 at 10:37 AM.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    and its not just them :

Toyota:
    Toyota is prepared to walk away from Formula 1 if the FIA pursues its controversial budget cap initiative from 2010 onwards, claiming that a two-tier system 'is not the right direction' for the sport to be taking, makes no 'common sense' and 'would make a huge number of people redundant'.

click:Crash.net Toyota vows to quit

RedBull:
    Hot on the heels of warnings from both Ferrari and BMW – and a downright ultimatum from Toyota – about the possible fall-out from the implementation of the controversial new budget cap in Formula 1, Red Bull energy drinks magnate Dietrich Mateschitz has suggested that of the current grid, 'only two or three will remain'.

click:Crash.net RedBull cost cap would cost upto 8 F1 Teams

BMW:
    Following Ferrari's declaration that Formula 1 may not be 'a never-ending story' for the Scuderia, BMW has become the second major manufacturer to suggest that it could walk away from the sport in the event of a 'two-class' hierarchy being engendered within the top flight.

click:Crash.net BMW joins Ferrari in budget cap quit threat
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

And just a couple short years ago, Ferrari was in cahoots with FIA when all the other teams threatened to leave. But Ferrari was top dog in F1 then, too.

It's funny that they only show backbone when things don't go their way.
    2002 MBP 5SP WRX sedan.
    Mods: OEM short throw, Kartboy shifter bushings and Rallyarmor mudflaps.

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    F the FIA.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Rufus View Post
    more so because they cant spend there way out of the current F1 situation, like they did in the past....
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Rufus View Post
    And just a couple short years ago, Ferrari was in cahoots with FIA when all the other teams threatened to leave. But Ferrari was top dog in F1 then, too.

How exactly should they "show backbone" when the FIA decides in their favor? Teams protest when he FIA isn't doing what they want. Right or wrong. No one in there right mind would protest an administration that's on their side. Using the same logic should the diffuser teams demand the FIA make the double diffusers illegal to give everyone a fair advantage? Lewis Hamilton's penalty for lying to the stewards was suspended, should he demand to be suspended? I'm sure that would be "showing some real backbone"

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    more so because they cant spend there way out of the current F1 situation, like they did in the past....
    The cost cap is absurd no one is spending anywhere close to the limit.
    FORZA FERRARI

I Support ClubWRX
    What exactly is it that is being proposed, this 2-tier approach? I read what's been posted, but there aren't a lot of details. I'm too busy at work today to do my own research, so any help is appreciated.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

The simple version:For 2010 the FIA wants to have an optional budget cap of $40 million. The teams that choose to follow it get greater technical freedom (i.e. no rev limit, more moveable aerodynamic aids etc) so essentially we'll have 2 sets of rules for teams.

This in addition to other gems like the ban on refueling, the ban on tire blankets, and mandatory KERS.
    FORZA FERRARI

jest of it:

"The premise is that those competitors wishing to adhere to the optional £40 million cap will benefit from greater technical freedoms and unrestricted out-of-season testing, which will be unavailable to their unlimited-budget rivals."

It seems like we would end up with races like the Rolex series where you have a sort of "unlimited" DP group along with a GT type running on the same course...that would so be FTL IMO. I prefer GT series but also can't stand it when the DP leaders are stuck behind some slow a$$ 88 M3 and can't perform to their full potential...traffic is always a part of racing...but it shouldn't be the only thing either preventing or promoting your win.

I mean...just make an F2 class if you really want that. How many people really watch the races to see how that one 4 yr old chassis is running from Kuala Lumpur?? (I always root for underdogs but not why I turn it on)

Let's be honest, for the most part, people watch to see the Ferrari's, McLaren's, & BMW's shoot it our for "uber" manufacturer self proclamation each year...in generalized terms anyway.
    S&R Built 2.5/2.0 '03 Hybrid w/ PE1818
    Scott Siegel Tuned 308whp/320wtq
    Vogtland Club Spec Springs on KYB AGX's

******* I BOOST, therefore I AM! *******

Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333 View Post
    This in addition to other gems like the ban on refueling, the ban on tire blankets, and mandatory KERS.

Quote Originally Posted by Sooby-Doo View Post
    I mean...just make an F2 class if you really want that. How many people really watch the races to see how that one 4 yr old chassis is running from Kuala Lumpur?? (I always root for underdogs but not why I turn it on)

Let's be honest, for the most part, people watch to see the Ferrari's, McLaren's, & BMW's shoot it our for "uber" manufacturer self proclamation each year...in generalized terms anyway.
    2002 MBP 5SP WRX sedan.
    Mods: OEM short throw, Kartboy shifter bushings and Rallyarmor mudflaps.

I Support ClubWRX
    Hmmm... trying to follow...
    What's the point of a ban on tire blankets? The only time I see that they really come into play is during qualifying, so that they can definitely get the tires up to temp during the out-lap. Has someone provided a salient description of the reason behind the ban?

No refueling? Sooooo...really big fuel tanks?

Kers: I'm still trying to come to terms with the idea of motorsports as the arena for eco-tech development.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hmmm... trying to follow...
    What's the point of a ban on tire blankets? The only time I see that they really come into play is during qualifying, so that they can definitely get the tires up to temp during the out-lap. Has someone provided a salient description of the reason behind the ban?

No refueling? Sooooo...really big fuel tanks?

Kers: I'm still trying to come to terms with the idea of motorsports as the arena for eco-tech development.
    I have yet to hear a reason for banning the blankets. It seems to me that with the switch to slicks (and the fact the Bridgestone is forced to purposely bring the wrong tires) that blankets/warmers would be more useful than ever.

I'm not sure if they are getting bigger tanks, I've heard that race distance will be reduced and I think they are hoping to make more fuel efficient cars because multi-million dollar racing is just the perfect venue for hyper-miling.

The entire rule system is rather contradictory. They want to reduced costs but they want new technology like KERS and greater fuel efficiency.
    Last edited by cavallino333; 05-13-2009 at 09:55 AM.
    FORZA FERRARI

I Support ClubWRX
    I guess future seasons of F1 on SpeedTV will have telemetry graphics that include MPG.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I guess future seasons of F1 on SpeedTV will have telemetry graphics that include MPG.
    "All We'll Drive"

I Support ClubWRX
    This isn't the first time refueling has been banned though, is it? Nor is it the first time two rule sets have been used, right?

They've had some great seasons with atmospheric 3.5L cars losing ground to turbo 1.5L cars, for example, when nobody could refuel during the GP itself. This new rule set sounds a lot like the older one, with the non-capped cars now taking the role of the atmospherically aspirated cars and the capped cars now taking the role of the turbo cars.

Fuel economy and two-tiered rules are not new, therefore. Granted, in the turbo era McLaren were frontrunners and Ferrari went a decade without a win - and we can't have that now, can we...
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.