Es-gp
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Es-gp within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; The Spanish GP was IMO much more fun to watch this years than years past. Here's the irony for me. ...

I Support ClubWRX

Es-gp

The Spanish GP was IMO much more fun to watch this years than years past.

Here's the irony for me. Know what I thought of? Not Ferrari falling to pieces, not BMW being in some sort of F3 race on the same track at the same time as the Grand Prix, not Ecclestone's ridiculous hair or gigantic bank account... No. I thought about ricers.

On Speed TV but also in magazines and online either via word of post or semi-viral advertising or misguided people asking, there are spots of "sponsors" that provide parts for free to aspiring "tUnErZ" who, in turn, sport the (in)appropriate stickers on their... whips. Usually, I'd need an antiemetic. Not today though. Today I find it funny. Why? Brawn GP are leading the world constructors championship and their cars are mainly plain Jane white with margarita-mix green piping. So, at stop lights across the country there are people will loud stereos, louder exhausts, huge wheels, and more logos than Times Square on their car, and they have sponsors. Jenson Button didn't. To me, that's hysterical.

Now, as for the GP itself, there were several very aggressive moves and I did feel bad for Masa toward the end; he fought hard to bring the Ferrari in the points only to have to back off due to fuel, and he saw two cars pass him by that otherwise would have stayed behind him till the finish. His plea "What do you want me to do, I'm racing for position!?" must have broken hearts not only in the pits, but also among affluent, loafer-wearing retirees up in Napa. I hope nobody's draped sweater fell off their shoulders up there.

The first lap was a combination of hormones and bad luck, and it turned out to be very expensive for several people. In slow motion it's one thing to say "he should have seen that coming" but when you're charging toward K1 and cars come flying at you from the side at 100+ it's another thing altogether I'd imagine.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 05-10-2009 at 10:01 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Spiros, you forgot the Virgin logos on the Brawn cars

shame there was some racist fans there still other than that some good racing and glad for Brawn GP was hoping Barrichello woulda won but hey still they got 1&2
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

I Support ClubWRX
    Virgin was lost in my first edit but of course you are absolutely correct. Branson only pitched in some cash at the last minute before the beginning of the season, and to my knowledge he's alone even now. It's a great move on his part to do so, but the cars are not "Virgin" cars, at least not yet (they're not red/white, for example).

Jose Cuervo ought to think about this. The green already matches theirs (I was looking over their stuff at the grocers, purely for scientific purposes of course).
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I think there was an improvement with the Ferrari car to some degree though there is still reliability issues and Kimi getting bumped from Q1 was disappointing especially since it happened once this season already. Massa's fuel issues were caused by a problem with the fuel rig and I guess not as much fuel as planned was delivered. They are supposed to get a new double diffuser for Monaco.

Brawn actually appears to be getting more sponsors. They had the Termninator Salvation on the rear wing and something called MIG on the front (don't know what that is though).

I always DVR the races so I can speed through the asinine commercials that the Speed Channel shows. It seems they are getting more driver interviews etc this season, instead of just whoever Peter Windsor happens to catch.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333 View Post
    I always DVR the races so I can speed through the asinine commercials that the Speed Channel shows. It seems they are getting more driver interviews etc this season, instead of just whoever Peter Windsor happens to catch.
    I also DVR them. I'm in the same timezone as you but Bernie isn't and I would hate to lose my beauty sleep - my eyes get puffy, it's tragic.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.