Helmet question

This is a discussion on Helmet question within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I am wondering what rating I should look for M2005 or SA2005 for a helmet. I plan on maybe going ...

Helmet question

I am wondering what rating I should look for M2005 or SA2005 for a helmet. I plan on maybe going to the drag strip every once in a while and maybe a road course or two, nothing professional. Maybe at the most once a month or every other month. What would fit my needs? I know the M2005 is much cheaper but not sure if it is adequate.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #911

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Look up the requirements of the organizers of the events you would like to run. If you don't feel like doing that, I would recommend the SA helmet as many organizations require these for track events.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

I Support ClubWRX
    Must be SA2005. Also look more towards a simpson or fulmer helmet since all motorcycle helmets are not flame retardent so a lot of race tracks are not allowing them anymore.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I think you guys are right, better be safe than sorry. I looked at those companies and they seem to bit too pricey and since this is not something I am going to do all the time I wanted to get something cheaper. I found these two www.pitstopusa.com - Detail
    www.pitstopusa.com - Detail
    Do you all know of anything that I could find maybe cheaper?
    Also is there anything else I need to buy with a helmet? Sorry I am new to this.
    Last edited by fkarkvan; 03-07-2009 at 07:29 AM.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #911

First and most importantly, get the helmet that fits. Fit is much more important in safety than brand name. My head fits Bell helmets. I couldn't fit a simpson or impact to save my life. Pyrotect makes a great helmet- and interestingly enough, is the same company as bell, just cheaper. Same deal. If the racing organizations/track require SA stuff, than that is something you will have to look into. I know for drag race, the SA is not required until you are really crusin'. If it is the same in open track days and SCCA type stuff, a GOOD helmet manufacturer makes an M to exceed specs, and use fire retardent materials, just not the high dollar stuff to meet the SA requirements. And a good new M2005 goes for about $130.
    Also look for a neck roll. Fits under the helmet and protects from whiplash, etc. They are cheap, but helpful!
    Last edited by Wannabe; 03-07-2009 at 11:40 AM.

i autocross and drag my 05 sti with a pyrotec sa 2005 at union grove, Wi. And use it to autocross at the autobarn in joilet and blackhawk farm in rockford, il.

ClubWRX.net Vendor JnJassociates's Avatar
    Spend a little more and get a good fitting SA05 rated helmet.

Go here to find out the difference between a SA and M rated helmet: Home

We carry Bell/Pyrotect for years. A great brand that is well made and at a fair price. It is what we use at thetrack.

Bryan