Autox + 02 Tranny = ?

This is a discussion on Autox + 02 Tranny = ? within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I know the 02 bugeyes are known for having a glass tranny, mostly in 2nd is what ive heard. is ...

Autox + 02 Tranny = ?

I know the 02 bugeyes are known for having a glass tranny, mostly in 2nd is what ive heard. is there any issue or risk in runny the local autox events with a stock car and tranny. all i have is CBE, wheels with good tires, and a drop in K&N filter so no power adders. and theres only 60K miles on it. im definately a novice at autox. seeing as i havent ever tried it.

So i guess my major question is whether im going to break it or not? im a proficient stick driver so no grinding gears or anything.

Dan

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I've only run autox once on my 02 and all i had was an mbc. I know over on nasioc buttdyno is a big autox guy and he has an 02 iirc. i just checked and hes on here. I havent had any problems since then. i actually beat on my car more on back roads than what i did in the autox

that's my .02

you'll be fine, don't slam into 2nd gear and once your there, you wont shread it at stock power levels. go have fun.

IMO at stock or near stock power levels its the shock loading that is going to destroy the tranny.

A couple things I usually do (I'm slow, so....)

1) Don't dump the clutch on the start, there is usually significant roll out at an autocross that you have plenty of time to load up the tranny before you cross the timing lights.

2) At most events there is not enough of a straight to wind out 1st so short shift into second and leave it there. When you do shift take the time to engage the gear smoothly. The more you do this the faster you will be able to do it.

Best,
    Dan

I Support ClubWRX
    I auto-x'd an 02 w/ a stock tranny for a while and never had a problem. Just drive smart. Shift smooth & fast, but don't dump the clutch on shifts or launches.

Auto-X is not really that hard on trannies, cuz there isn't much shifting usually.
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by devilfluff
    I auto-x'd an 02 w/ a stock tranny for a while and never had a problem. Just drive smart. Shift smooth & fast, but don't dump the clutch on shifts or launches.

Auto-X is not really that hard on trannies, cuz there isn't much shifting usually.
    Nope - on a 5-speed, put it in 2nd and leave it there.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

yeah thats kinda what i figured. i was more worried about the launch at the start but i think i should be ok. and thanks for the insight on the short shift into second. i usually short shift into 3rd when im in town so i dont have to shift much. so the concept ought to be the same. any other tips or tricks i should be aware of?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post
    yeah thats kinda what i figured. i was more worried about the launch at the start but i think i should be ok. and thanks for the insight on the short shift into second. i usually short shift into 3rd when im in town so i dont have to shift much. so the concept ought to be the same. any other tips or tricks i should be aware of?
    Don't worry too much about launching, it's not a tree style light.

Just go have fun, and get an instructer to ride along early & often.
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums