STI,Evo Moved to Touring Group

This is a discussion on STI,Evo Moved to Touring Group within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Mitsubishi Evolution, Subaru STI moved to Touring Car group. Following sweeping technical-regulation changes to the 2009 Touring Car category in ...

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

STI,Evo Moved to Touring Group

Mitsubishi Evolution, Subaru STI moved to Touring Car group.
    Following sweeping technical-regulation changes to the 2009 Touring Car category in the Speed World Challenge series, SCCA Pro Racing announced the reassignment of two models to the class. The Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution (both the VIII and IX) and the Subaru Impreza STI move from the higher-powered GT group to Touring Car.

Previously, the all-wheel-drive sedans had to battle heavyweights such as the Chevrolet Corvette, the Cadillac CTS-V, the Dodge Viper, the Ford Mustang, the Porsche 911 and the Aston Martin DB9 in GT. To do so, teams running the Mitsubishi or Subaru had to make substantial modifications to the turbocharged four-cylinder vehicles to be competitive, at great expense.

With the move to Touring Car, both platforms can be built with minimal modifications to meet the new technical regulations and at the same time be competitive against class stalwarts such as the Acura TSX, the Mazda 6 and the BMW 3-series. In addition, the two car options may attract new competitors to a class that suffered from slimmer fields last season.

The 2009 Speed World Challenge kicks off March 20 in Sebring, Fla., where it will run in support of the 12 Hours of Sebring.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    much better fit IMO. I know that the #99 ESX car that was run was at a distinct disadvantage in GT- kudos to them for giving it a go- maybe they will be back.

I imagine now that the Touring Car folks will be crying foul
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman