Don't Lift the throttle !!

This is a discussion on Don't Lift the throttle !! within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Anyone learned the hard way ?? I was taking a turn near the limits of traction 65 ish. and lifted ...

Don't Lift the throttle !!

Anyone learned the hard way ??
    I was taking a turn near the limits of traction 65 ish. and lifted then the rear tires started to slide...just enough to get my major attention....once committed i guess keep the feeding in the throttle.... yes yes yes ...??

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    At the limit, drive like you have an eggshell under your foot you don't want to break. A sudden lift on the throttle, or a sudden push of the throttle will break the eggshell (and your wallet).

Registered User streetfighterkz's Avatar
    I've done the same thing but only enough to say to myself, "Prolly shouldn't do that again." Until I bought my WRX, I've owned two 2wd 5-speed trucks (a '89 S10 and a '95 Sonoma lowered 3"/3" and still own a '02 2DR, 5-speed, 2wd Blazer. You learn alot about weight transfer during hard cornering with those vehicles. The Blazer likes pushing the front end through corners so if you let off the gas ever so slightly some of the weight will transfer back to the front enough that you can gain neutral steering again without going into an oversteer situation.

Later, Doug

Yes, I learned this lesson two years ago and was a bit more costly in my case...took out my rear quarter and two rims spinning out...but the lesson is permanently in my brian now! Theres a similiar thread on this labeled what to do when you loose control in a turn or something along those lines that has a ton of experience's and story's like the one you posted. glad your alright!

It is a real touchy deal. Like stated, a lift and you start to slide and too much power and you can really throw the rear out. Just takes practice and a cool head.
    Go find a bigtime, shorter wheelbase drag race car and do 100 big burnouts. You will learn that you drive with subtle movements of your right foot, the wheel is just there for looks.
    Seen lots of guys crash thinking that lifting will save the slide.

It's called trailing throttle oversteer. When you're at the limit, and you lift, you transfer weight from the rear tires to the front tires --- causing a condition where the front tires now have relatively more traction than the rear tires. Presto -- the back end starts to come around. It's actually used quite commonly by racers that know what they're doing to quickly rotate the car. As mentioned below -- once at the limit - cranking in more steering angle does nothing. The car is 'steered' with the throttle by using it to shift the amount of weight and resulting traction between front and rear tires. I'd add that with as much understeer (push) as is designed into the stock handling package, throttle lift is one of the only ways to rotate the car and get the backend around. A larger sway bar on the rear will allow even more of this.
    Last edited by Michael Yount; 01-19-2009 at 06:23 AM.
    '09 WRX Hatch, '08 Mini Clubman, '82 Volvo 242 w/5.0L Ford drivetrain

Ha Learning to drive

Thanks for the info.
    I have gotten to play a few times with it on a few awsome roads. On one of them there are about 100 curves in 10 miles 1st and 2nd gear stuff.. Wife holding on to the chicken bar looking really MAD. For those out west It's the 193 from Georgetown to Placerville.. woo hoo not to mention Wentworth springs from Icehouse road to Georgetown. Need to do it soon again.

We have a road here in my parts -- Hwy. 129 running from east TN into western NC in the heart of the Smokey Mountains. It's called the Tail of the Dragon -- 319 turns in 11 miles. Knee dragging stuff -- which I KNOW you can appreciate....

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by pacemaster View Post
    For those out west It's the 193 from Georgetown to Placerville.
    That one looks good. I haven't driven it, I'll have to check it out.

i have heard of the tail of the dragon. me and my friends are already planing a road trip when weather gets nice here....
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #132

"buy it, ease it, brake it, fix it, trash it, change it now upgrade it."

"i can easily rip the spine out of cars, and watch their bodies fall into a sea of oil and metal"

The local Subie clubs have organized cruises up there regularly...

I'd LOVE to go back to the tail of the dragon. I make the trip between Nashville TN and Charlotte NC several times a year. Just driving through the mountains on I40 is fun! Only been to the tail once when i was in high school. I'd love to go back now that i have a proper car...

I'd love to know when subie groups are headed that way.

A couple weeks ago I had an experience with losing control. At the time I was overestimating the AWD, and most definitely the craptastic tires I currently have. Took a fairly tight turn going about 40mph on back roads, then hit some loose gravel. I lifted the throttle a little and my back end started to zigzag back and forth for about 30 yards, but the front end stayed stable. If I had kept steady on the gas, I would have slid, but could have kept control going out of the turn. Live and learn...

Right now I have 16" tires with cheapo tires that came with the car. Would like to get some 17", but not sure how much better it will handle.

trust me on this. ALOT! I had similar type experiences shortly after i bought mine on craptastic tires as well. I ended up going with 18's and Nittos.....but you should see a huge difference on 17's if you get a good tire.

yea guys i have been there tons of time i right now have a FWD car but have driven about 4 different subies and well i actually try to get the rear to come out like this. i do it all the time with my car my either lifting on the gas or left foot braking does the same. but the thing is if you stay in it usally u well come out ok but that is from drive a Fwd and a few AWD.

on a second note: hey it is fun once you get the hang of it