Rev-limiter
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Rev-limiter within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Can anyone tell me if my 09 WRX has a permanent rev-limiter? I noticed that it cuts out at red/yellow ...

Rev-limiter

Can anyone tell me if my 09 WRX has a permanent rev-limiter?

I noticed that it cuts out at red/yellow line, which is 6500 rpm, yet the tach goes to 8000 rpm.

I thought maybe this would change as I put more miles on the odometer, but I'm up to around 3000 miles and still notice the limiter at 6500 rpm.

Just wondering, as it'd seem there's 1500 rpm I'm sort of missing. (Not that I plan on running to 8000 rpm all the time.)

Thanks.
    Too cold to ride... so I'll drive instead.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by GunslingerRC View Post
    Can anyone tell me if my 09 WRX has a permanent rev-limiter?

I noticed that it cuts out at red/yellow line, which is 6500 rpm, yet the tach goes to 8000 rpm.

I thought maybe this would change as I put more miles on the odometer, but I'm up to around 3000 miles and still notice the limiter at 6500 rpm.

Just wondering, as it'd seem there's 1500 rpm I'm sort of missing. (Not that I plan on running to 8000 rpm all the time.)

Thanks.
    You're gonna spin a bearing, experience valve float, and/or break something in your valvetrain if you ever run 8000 rpm on a stock motor. Just because it has the numbers on the tach it doesn't mean the car can do it stock.

On top of that, you're stock turbo is gonna run out of unf long before you get to 8k. You're not missing anything. If you were to get a larger turbo, say an FP Green, then I'd say you'd be fine to raise it to 7250 tops.
    Last edited by brfatal; 12-08-2008 at 01:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    You're gonna spin a bearing, experience valve float, and/or break something in your valvetrain if you ever run 8000 rpm on a stock motor. Just because it has the numbers on the tach it doesn't mean the car can do it stock.

On top of that, you're stock turbo is gonna run out of unf long before you get to 8k. You're not missing anything. If you were to get a larger turbo, say an FP Green, then I'd say you'd be fine to raise it to 7250 tops.

+123456^^^^^^^ to everything he said. Ever read the spun bearing threads. Revving that high, your just asking for problems. Plus like said above, boost runs out before 6K. STAY WAY AWAY FROM YOUR REV LIMITER, sheeesh, I dont go higher than5,500 rpms
    2004 wrb WRX "Bugeye"
    http://www.misubie.com/

Quote Originally Posted by shamrock View Post
    +123456^^^^^^^ to everything he said. Ever read the spun bearing threads.
    I guess that would explain the knocking and pinging I get every time I accelerate... JUST KIDDING!.

Thanks for the advice. I'll get around to reading the spun bearing thread at some point, and hope I never need to refer back to it.
    Too cold to ride... so I'll drive instead.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.