Gymkhana
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Gymkhana within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, so i bet a few of you guys have heard about Gymkhana. For those who don't, it's a ...

Gymkhana

Hey guys, so i bet a few of you guys have heard about Gymkhana. For those who don't, it's a very small and technical race with a bit of autox/drift/timeattack all mixed in. And i was wondering if anyone knew how to tune a WRX to compete in such a competition. Or if anyone has any type of information i could read about this sport i would appreciate it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Protuned Cobb Accessport Stage 2, Cobb Intake, Cobb Catback Exhaust, Cobb Catted Downpipe, Cobb Hardened Shifter Bushings, Kartboy Shifter Lever, Kartboy Rear Shifter Bushing, Perrin Afta-Maf Silicone Airbox Hose, 1 Step Colder NGK Iridium Spark Plugs. Dyno'd = 253 AWDHP, 295 AWDTRQ

Quote Originally Posted by verzo70 View Post
    Yeah, i've seen that video before, and i thought it was awesome, it was some video on youtube a while ago with a 240 and i just thought it was way better than drifting. But i just recently bought my car and realized it's potential for this in seeing this video a few days ago.

I was asking more so about.. How to tune my suspension/car to do this. And where competitions might be held... i checked Gymkhana USA, but they seem to not have any events going on. I want more overall info on this, not really looking for videos.

Double repost
    "M3 drivers have no friends..." - Jeremy Clarkson

"If something sounds too good to be true, it's best to shoot it to make sure" - Fiona Glenanne

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    tuning would be basically the same as you would for autocross

your going to increase traction via stickier tires and maximize that contact patch w/ wider tires/wheels, your going to increase roll stiffness (via sway bars and springs), get the new stiffness damped correctly (via struts) and optimize the alignment

piece of cake

you might want to look into e-brake modification as well (like the rally guys do) as this helps in very tight turns (which appears may be common in gymkhana)
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Okay, thank you very much big sky. :] What coil overs might you recommend?
    Sadness is just happiness turned on its ass.

I Support ClubWRX
    I wouldn't recommend coilovers, I'd recommend a good strut set (Koni) and a good spring set (STi or RCE depending on how firm a guy wanted to go)

I Support ClubWRX
    Hey Mike, on the wrx do the Rally guys fit a dedicated set of E-brake calipers to the back? Something like you can buy from Wilwood?
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    here's a pretty good thread on the rally style handbrake

hydraulic hand brake tech - DirtyImpreza Forums

I think it's pretty spendy (Prodrive also sells one that the Grp N and WRC cars use- that one I can guarantee is $ )

I Support ClubWRX
    Important piece of info I got from that thread is "When pulling Hyd ebrake, remember clutch in power off."
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Hmmm, it's so tempting, but i probably won't get that mainly because my subie is my DD.

Quote Originally Posted by spensaurREX View Post
    Hmmm, it's so tempting, but i probably won't get that mainly because my subie is my DD.
    If your car is your DD, then you should not try this type of event. I dont know if you have an sti or not. But I would not recommend this in a WRX. A lot of abuse on the trans/tires/suspension. This type of eveny gymi**** is like a AutoX times 10. Like the Block vid, I know you wont be able to drive like him but just look at what that car goes through. Your decision though, GL
    2004 wrb WRX "Bugeye"
    http://www.misubie.com/

Quote Originally Posted by shamrock View Post
    If your car is your DD, then you should not try this type of event. I dont know if you have an sti or not. But I would not recommend this in a WRX. A lot of abuse on the trans/tires/suspension. This type of eveny gymi**** is like a AutoX times 10. Like the Block vid, I know you wont be able to drive like him but just look at what that car goes through. Your decision though, GL
    Yeah, i realized i probably wouldn't be able to do this type of event so i'm going to do rally instead. I hear you can enter a stock rallyx division so that's probably where i plan to head. Haha, i know i probably will never drive like Ken block or any of the greats, but it looks like a lot of fun. Maybe when i'm older or richer :] haha. Thanks for the feedback guys.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by verzo70 View Post
    That's not gymkhana. He's just stunting on an old airfield.

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    That's not gymkhana. He's just stunting on an old airfield.
    Yeah, it did seem more... stunt / show than gymkhana. I know what real gymkhana is and i just liked it so much, it's like drifting, autox, and time attack. Just seemed like it would be a nice thing to try out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast