CN GP: Renault return; Kovalainen absent.

This is a discussion on CN GP: Renault return; Kovalainen absent. within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Saw the GP but was fading in/out of sleep (a good way to pass life, incidentally, but that's for another ...

I Support ClubWRX

CN GP: Renault return; Kovalainen absent.

Saw the GP but was fading in/out of sleep (a good way to pass life, incidentally, but that's for another thread).

Alonso was very quick and the Renault has come a very long way. I think McLaren and Ferrari have probably frozen development of their 08 chassis at this point, whereas Renault are continuing to improve the car it seems. This is great, as it'll make for a 4-way battle next year counting BMW.

Unfortunately for Alonso he may not have a good no. 2 on the team due mostly to his own preferences. This means that if he's a contender next year there may be nobody to help him out in the same manner he's vowed to help Massa.

BTW, if I were running a billion euro enterprise and my most costly employee were self-absorbed, Quixotic, and focused on aiding a competitor, I might have second thoughts about him/her -- but that's just me.

Kovalainen lacked a bit of pace this time round and it's a shame. Even though Hamilton managed the team must stress about it, plus they need the points vs. Ferrari for the manufacturer's title.

I'm going to re-watch the GP and try to stay awake during most of it this evening (but I'm up against it with some painting outside and the prep makes all the difference, so we'll see if I can sort that plus keep the eyelids up for Bernie's show).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    OK some random thoughts.

Pedro de la Rosa is still at McLaren. Why? If I were Ron Dennis, and an employee had basically cost me... $100 million USD, and $100 million USD were still a lot of money, I think that guy would be gone.

If Alonso threatened Dennis with exposing the emails regarding Ferrarigate, isn't that blackmail?

Let's get this straight: somehow, the upshot of all this is that Ron Dennis et al. dropped the soap but neither Nick Fry (who had talks with the "spies") nor Flavio Briatore (who hired one of the drivers apparently involved) get to share the joy? They're OK but Dennis isn't? Really?

Massa did not pass Raikkonen due to team orders today? Seriously? Seriously?! Wow.

It's a shame about Kovalainen's puncture. It certainly explains some of his laps though. Hopefully the next GP will be fantastic to watch!
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I'm excited for the next race.

Even worst case scenario where mclaren gets a 1-2 Ferrari would only need 8 points to win the WCC. Anything can happen though.

The WDC is Hamiltons to loose at this point I'd like to see Massa win but at the end of the day I care alot more about the WCC anyway.

The team orders rule is really quite silly, all the teams do it. Somehow not completely moving over is supposed to make it look like its not happening.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes some of the rules are outright silly.

Know what I think is sorely missing in F1? Senna. Not just his driving or his development talent. His willingness to throw down at the drop of a hat. Remember when he punched Eddie Irvine in the face? I doubt Alonso would get away with any primadonna stuff without having to wear sunglasses for the next two weeks...

One of the greatest shames in racing is that Senna never worked for the old man back then. If he were at Ferrari today I doubt Raikkonen could fall asleep at the wheel for most of a GP only to set fast laps when they didn't matter any more without getting his jaw knocked loose for him. Things would be different.

And I bet Senna would pick up a tyre iron if he heard of industrial espionage and secret love-note schoolgirl emails about who knows what.