Folgers Subaru Challenge in Charlotte, NC -- anyone?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Folgers Subaru Challenge in Charlotte, NC -- anyone? within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Folgers Subaru in North Carolina is hosting a Subaru Challenge event on Saturday, 11/15, at Carowinds. 2008 Folger Subaru Challenge ...

Folgers Subaru Challenge in Charlotte, NC -- anyone?

Folgers Subaru in North Carolina is hosting a Subaru Challenge event on Saturday, 11/15, at Carowinds.

2008 Folger Subaru Challenge Event

Anyone from here planning on going? I'll have my IAG Performance WRX running DS there... maybe it's last hurrah as a DS car...
    Karen Kraus
    2005 SCCA FS Southeast Divisional Champion | 2007 SCCA DSL National Champion
    2008 SCCA ProSolo L1 Champion | 2009 SCCA ESPL National Champion
    2010 SCCA ESP Northeast Divisional Champion
    2006 WRX (ESP 34) | 1996 Camaro Z28 1LE (ESP 34) | 1997 Camaro Z28 (DD)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

That looks pretty cool. I didn't even know about it until I read your post. Do you know if its like a competition? I have never been on a track before and was wondering if this would be a good place to start. I don't want anything competetive or pressuring. Looks awesome though. If I don't drive I will at least watch.

It's mainly supposed to be a fun gathering for Subaru drivers, but it's also somewhat competitive. Unlike a lot of "regular" autocrosses, it's a little more laid back, with ridealongs allowed, so you could ask for an instructor and ride with someone else if you wanted to, so you could get a feel for the course.

If you come out, you should play too. It's fun to be able to throw your car around in a totally legal venue.
    Karen Kraus

I just registered. I am excited, do you know how long it takes to do a lap, and how long the longest straightaway is? I couldn't find that nuch info on it. Is this an annual event?

This is the first time it's been held at the Carowinds site, but judging from the size of the lot, it's probably going to be a 50+ second course. No idea on any "straights," as that's really going to be up to the course designers (Steven Rankins and Jon Krolewicz).

Most area clubs have events every month or so. I'm in Maryland, so I'm not sure how often the clubs in the Charlotte area run, but up here, we're going to be done this weekend, and after that, things don't start up again until spring. I think there's a club in Richmond that is planning on a Winter Series though.
    Karen Kraus

Myautoevents.com event page : 2008 Folger Subaru Challenge Event

Only 37 entries so far!
    Karen Kraus

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I'd love to go, but alas too far

additional plans for the 07 or moving to another car?
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

You could always fly in and do the "arrive and drive"... that's what I did for my first Subie Challenge event.

I don't know what I'm doing with my WRX for next year yet. It's really gonna depend if IAG wants to continue our relationship, and even then, an ESP build isn't going to be cheap. It's still very much up in the air.
    Karen Kraus

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    that would be fun

ESP would indeed be an expensive endeavor (but )

it might be time for the SCCA to consider all WRX's for STX???- if the RX8 can play- the 2.5's should as well
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Numbers?

Do I have to get a number on my car for this event? If so, where should I get them? Are they provided by Folger Subaru? Thanks for any help.

So, kokoshoe, did you make it out? I know some people bailed because of the weather, but it actually dried out and was only a tad chilly.
    Karen Kraus

Yeah, I made it. It was really fun. I signed up for another one on December 14 too. I am glad I chose to go. I was the guy that registered under DSP I saw you there with your SCCA National Champion jacket. By the way, do you have any suggestions on a tires? I was sliding constantly on my stock ones. I would like to maintain some durability though. And do you know the best way to reduce understeer? Sway bars? Springs? I'm all stock. Thanks for getting me into the sport; it was a lot of fun and I can not wait to be out there again.

Oh, wow, if you were completely stock on street tires, you probably should have been in STX or DS. Maybe next time I'll lobby for an indexed street tire class for people who aren't on race tires like myself and Mark, or even vice versa (an indexed class for race tires/"experienced" drivers).

Anyway, your streets are probably fine for now, as long as you bump up the pressures for an event. When I run on my streets, I generally put the front pressures up close to the max (41-42psi), and the rears just a few pounds lower. As for mods, you can benefit tons from just getting an alignment and a front sway bar. Initially, it's better to concentrate on driver improvement.

If you want to stay in stock class (DS), you can do FSB, shocks, and catback exhaust, as well as any DOT tire (including "race" tires like I had -- Hoosier A6 or Kumho V710). If you have the mod bug, you can look at STX or ESP, where you can do some more suspension goodies, brake upgrades, rear sway bar, strut tower braces and the like. ESP also allows intake replacement and catless exhaust, among other things.

Most clubs run using the SCCA ruleset, which can be downloaded from the SCCA website.

http://www.scca.org/documents/Solo%2...lo_Rules_2.pdf is the link to the rulebook.

SCCA - Sports Car Club of America is a page with just general information on autocross (Solo) and has links to classification and other information.
    Karen Kraus

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.