'09 french gp cancelled !

This is a discussion on '09 french gp cancelled ! within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; The French are getting screwed out of their Formula One fix. A little over a week after French Canadians began ...

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

'09 french gp cancelled !

The French are getting screwed out of their Formula One fix. A little over a week after French Canadians began mourning the Canadian Grand Prix's cancellation from the 2009 F1 calendar, word comes that the French Grand Prix has also been nixed. The GP's promoter, the Federation du Sport Automobile (FFSA), announced the race's cancellation yesterday and blamed it on finances, though we find it hard to believe that even an F1 race in Europe can't make money in these tough economic times. With the race at Circut de Nevers Magny-Cours scrapped, the 2009 F1 calendar has now been whittled down to just 17 races.

The French GP began in 1906, and has run continuously since 1950 except for 1955 when it was cancelled after a horrible accident at the 24 Hours of Le Mans. This year's cancellation is not expected to be permanent, however, as the FFSA loses its promotion rights in 2010, and F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone has expressed his wish to see it moved from the Magny-Cours track, where it's been held since 1991, to somewhere closer to Paris.

Au revoir, Magny-Cours: 2009 French Grand Prix cancelled - Autoblog
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Did the French put up a fight? Protest? Something? oh no wait, its the French.
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx View Post
    Did the French put up a fight? Protest? Something? oh no wait, its the French.
    same with the french canadiens reference the loss of the canadian gp
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    same with the french canadiens reference the loss of the canadian gp

Seriously I don't get what F1 is doing nemore, I just don't understand.
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Crap, is the whole series just going to go belly-up?
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    ^ naah , but there is a rumour that 09 will all take place in dubai

day race,nite race,reverse direction race,mirror image race,day rain race, nite rain race, etc and other various combinations.
    Last edited by Weasel 555; 10-16-2008 at 12:58 PM.
    "All We'll Drive"

I Support ClubWRX
    They won't go belly up. They could just copy Monaco's layout and build it in the middle of some desert somewhere. Then they'll just keep on adding events in Asia, saying over and over that the course was designed by a German to make everyone feel better. In the end, they'll have Bahrain run six times per season, and the GP held at the most western location will be Constantinople. Apparently the money is not in Europe and it's not in the Americas, at least not any more.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

This sucks but I'd heard this was coming with the French GP.

All the "tracks" they've added so far have been skewed towards fun tourist venue vs actual racing.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.