Formula 1 Grand Prix du Canada 2009 removed from the calendar

This is a discussion on Formula 1 Grand Prix du Canada 2009 removed from the calendar within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; FORMULA-ONE - The Online Motorsports Authority - NASCAR Racing Schedule - F1 - Formula 1 - Drag Racing - Motorsports ...

Formula 1 Grand Prix du Canada 2009 removed from the calendar

FORMULA-ONE - The Online Motorsports Authority - NASCAR Racing Schedule - F1 - Formula 1 - Drag Racing - Motorsports - Indy Car - SPEEDtv.com

Straight off Speed TV guys.

The race in Montreal has been canceled, and will be replaced by Abu Dhabi. So no races will be in North America next year.
    PS3/360 ID: Zapix

MIA Western Mass Impreza Club / MIA Connecticut Impreza Club

My 2002 WRB WRX

2003 Northeast Subaru Impreza Club Regional Meet

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    That's a shame. The emphasis on Asia and the Gulf must make financial sense to Bernie though. Abu Dhabi has among the highest per capita incomes worldwide so in one way it's understandable.

In another way, it's boring. No matter how nicely designed these tracks are, with no historic context there's little to get excited about IMO.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    wtf ! thats BS ...and then to make it the final round of '09 is total bollox

The FIA has released a revised version of the 2009 Formula One calendar following a meeting of the World Motorsport Council in Paris, which no longer features the Canadian Grand Prix.

The provisional calendar released back in June by the governing body contained 19 dates, with the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix at the new Yas Island circuit being the one addition to the 2008 schedule.

However, the Canadian race which was due to be held on the 7 June has now been dropped from the calendar to leave F1 with an 18 race schedule.

It will mark the first time since 1987 that Canada hasn't featured on the F1 calendar, with the country having hosted a world championship race for all bar two years since 1967. The decision to drop Canada also means there will be no race in North America next year, with the American Grand Prix having already lost its slot on the calendar.

Aside from the removal of the Canadian race, there are other changes to the schedule previously announced, the biggest being a move for the Turkish Grand Prix from August to the date previously held by the race at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve; thereby creating a summer break between the Hungarian and European Grands Prix.

The dates have also changed for both the Belgian and Italian races, with the Spa event moving from a previously announced 13 September to 30 August going back-to-back with Valencia while Monza moves from 6 September to fill Spa's old slot.

2009 Formula One World Championship Calendar:

29 March Australia Albert Park
    5 April Malaysia Sepang
    19 April Bahrain Bahrain
    10 May Spain Catalunya
    24 May Monaco Monte Carlo
    7 June Turkey Istanbul
    21 June Great Britain Silverstone
    28 June France Magny-Cours
    12 July Germany Nurburgring
    26 July Hungary Hungaroring
    23 August Europe Valencia
    30 August Belgium Spa
    13 September Italy Monza
    27 September Singapore Singapore
    11 October Japan Suzuka
    18 October China Shanghai
    1 November Brazil Interlagos
    15 November Abu Dhabi Yas Island

Crash.net F1 news
    Last edited by Weasel 555; 10-07-2008 at 11:56 AM.
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

Sucks, I had just gone to my first F1 race this season IN Montreal, was likely to make plans to go next year too. No, not anymore now though. I wonder what kind of impact (if any) this will have on not only Montreal, but F1.

My 2002 WRB WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    I have got to wonder if somebody complained that Spa was too wet so the GP got moved to August... I can't imagine who that might be though.

Why have any Grands Prix in America or Europe? Just make it an Asian series. Or just ban any track with more than 10 years of history.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Well that stinks. I went to the '07 Indy GP, before they pulled the plug on the U.S...I had thought that I would find my way to Montreal for a GP sooner or later.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

So basically no gp in north America now.

Then again it will be at/near the Ferrari theme park they are building.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

I agree that is sucks big time that there is now no North American GP, but that track really blew. It needed to be completely resurfaced and not just patched up like they did last year. I do hope that eventually it makes it back onto the calendar.
    Follow the goddamn prompts!!!!! - Tech Support

'06 WRX TR Aspen White - SOLD
    '96 Mazda Miata - Current Toy

Former Hawk-Eye Alliance #034

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I think it was a fairly simple decision. Since Ferrari hasn't won there since 2004, they simply took it off the schedule. Having a BMW win this year just sealed the deal.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    I think it was a fairly simple decision. Since Ferrari hasn't won there since 2004, they simply took it off the schedule. Having a BMW win this year just sealed the deal.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Funny - but, I believe, quite untrue.
    Follow the goddamn prompts!!!!! - Tech Support

'06 WRX TR Aspen White - SOLD
    '96 Mazda Miata - Current Toy

Former Hawk-Eye Alliance #034

Bob Varsha of SpeedTV mentioned this petition during qualifying.

Manipe F1

My 2002 WRB WRX

OK, now isn't this f'ed up!

The 2009 French Grand Prix is now canceled due to money problems!

FORMULA-ONE - The Online Motorsports Authority - NASCAR Racing Schedule - F1 - Formula 1 - Drag Racing - Motorsports - Indy Car - SPEEDtv.com

Next weeks news, the 2009 season will be canceled because Ferrari hates Lewis Hamilton.

My 2002 WRB WRX

grrrrr

It's totally f'ed up! It keeps getting more and more expensive to hold a race. I know we're in a crappy global financial situation but I seriously doubt that has anything to do with it. Ecclestone would rather raise the cost 10% every year, cancel GPs that can't afford to pay it no matter how long they've been a part of the calendar (1955 in France's case), and hold races instead in places like Abu Dhabi where everyone can just throw money at him because they don't know what else to do with it. I went to my first GP in Montreal last year, it was like traveling to Mecca I was so excited, and now I can't go back. Probably ever. Thanks, Bernie, screw all of us in the States a little more, why don't you?...but my own personal bitterness aside, the whole situation sucks.

That sucks man. next thign we know they will start shutting down tracks