Insurance at the track?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Insurance at the track? within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys! I've been trying to get into the racing scene and my parents won't let me unless I get ...

Insurance at the track?

Hey guys! I've been trying to get into the racing scene and my parents won't let me unless I get race insurance so I'm covered on the track, but nobody offers both damage and liability insurance. What do you guys do? And if you do use insurance what company do you use?

Thanks for the help and no "you gotta pay to play" please!
    Blob-Eye Syndicate #121 MY04 Stage 1 WRB STi
    Dirty Crew #89 like it dirty? Dirty Thread!
    "0-60 Faster Than Your First Sexual Experience!"
    Gettin Sideways At El Mirage
    The Best Video YouTube's Ever Seen!
    Courtesy of SomeGuy 217 Productions

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    you gotta pay to play

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX
    Why no "you gotta pay...?" It's true, if that matters.

Never, ever drive your own road car on a track, especially "if you have to ask" as they say.

Most tracks have to support themselves with mini-schools and sublets to driving instruction businesses etc. Look into arrive-and-drive options at your favourite track; each of these will have its own insurance package for you to consider.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks dez!

Well because my parents won't let me on a track without my car being covered and I would love to learn the racing basics in my car. Any good suggestions on a good intro to racing course that supplies the car? I know of a few out there like skip barber but its ~$1000 I'm looking for something for about $3-400.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Lbleiweiss View Post
    Thanks dez!

Well because my parents won't let me on a track without my car being covered and I would love to learn the racing basics in my car. Any good suggestions on a good intro to racing course that supplies the car? I know of a few out there like skip barber but its ~$1000 I'm looking for something for about $3-400.
    I suggest you take a racing school where they supply the car first. Almost every track seems to run them, you show up go through their school learn the fundamentals etc. If you learn the proper techniques, it doesn't matter what kinda car you are in the teachings will apply. All the ones that I have found are ~ $1000 minimum. I suggest you just save. I have done the RPDE Richard Petty Driving experience and while fun, left me wanting to do more racing schools.

Wise mantra:
    If you can't afford to replace your car and write it off, don't take it to the track.

That being said if your parents share the same mantra which is the reasoning for the needed and mentioned insurance, then buy an extra cheap fwd car that you can afford not to "have to fix" , tow it/drive it to the track and run it. Civics are cheap and fun but there is a whole mess of car's around the $1500-$3000 range that would be a blast.
    Last edited by 06wrx4me; 09-12-2008 at 11:44 AM.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I found that Skip Barber offers a "half day" racing school for 599 but the full day is 999 so I might just save up..

Why would I want fwd as opposed to rwd? cheaper? so I get more car for my buck?

Find a beat up 240 with an sr20 and take that to the track.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Lbleiweiss View Post

Why would I want fwd as opposed to rwd? cheaper? so I get more car for my buck?
    You get more buck for your car, and most instructors will tell you its easier to learn the fundamentals with FWD as they tend to be more forgiving.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    One thing to keep in mind though when buying a beater: Any beater you buy should be able to steer and stop on its own, and shouldn't have any juice coming out of it because tracks don't like fluids on their tarmac.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I'm a newb here but thought I'd throw in my .02 as I'm also considering doing some driver training and HPDEs with a personal car and wondering about insurance. I would agree with the cheap FWD advice as a first track toy. Might I suggest an SVT Contour? (I miiiiight be slightly biased. ) They have a nice flexible 2.5 V6 that responds well to very simple and inexpensive mods while still getting excellent mileage, they handle fantastically even in stock form, pretty luxurious if you also need to use it as a commuter, and they can be had in good condition in the $3000 range. I just bought a WRX wagon for a DD so I could turn my SVTC into a less compromised toy. Whatever you decide, have fun and let me know if I piqued your interest and you have any q's about them.
    '03 WRX Wagon, almost stock
    '99 SVT Contour, not so stock

why not go to an autocross??
    Charlie
    Blobeye Syndicate #41
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3017183

Karting is another cool way to start racing on a budget while protecting your daily driver.
    '07 STI UGM: Protuned Cobb DP, Walbro, Prodrive BCS; Cobb heat shield; extra stock rims with Hankook iPike W409's; Subaru hitch mount; a Limited roof and wing
    '02 WRX PS: quick & trouble free but sold with 110K miles
    mods

Quote Originally Posted by chazly413 View Post
    why not go to an autocross??
    the SCCA only offers liability right?

Quote Originally Posted by virpacalis View Post
    Karting is another cool way to start racing on a budget while protecting your daily driver.
    I saw that but I just figured they were like go-karts? Any idea how much a day of that would cost?

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    One thing to keep in mind though when buying a beater: Any beater you buy should be able to steer and stop on its own, and shouldn't have any juice coming out of it because tracks don't like fluids on their tarmac.
    No leaks. Got it thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jebus View Post
    Find a beat up 240 with an sr20 and take that to the track.
    That would be a great idea.. how much do those usually cost?

Also I was thinking about buying the older version of the ps3 that also plays ps2 games so I can just play the gran turismos

Check this out, it might be what you are looking for.

MotorsportReg.com and Lockton Affinity Launch Innovative Track Insurance Program
    Last edited by yosemitemtb; 09-22-2008 at 08:42 AM.
    Orange cones fear me.

Yea I've been looking into that for a while, it looks like they only offer collision insurance my parents are making me have liability insurance too.. I'm thinking I could just get an older rx-7 like gen1 for a grand or 2! any thoughts or ideas on that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast