Insurance at the track? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Insurance at the track? within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Lbleiweiss Yea I've been looking into that for a while, it looks like they only offer collision ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Lbleiweiss View Post
    Yea I've been looking into that for a while, it looks like they only offer collision insurance my parents are making me have liability insurance too.. I'm thinking I could just get an older rx-7 like gen1 for a grand or 2! any thoughts or ideas on that?
    If you are getting a dedicated track car, adopt one from someone that's moving on. It'll ideally have a log book and will be easier to deal with when it comes time to pass tech. This will save you time, and time=money.

IMO, the Wankel motor is a great idea on paper but that's where it belongs. NSU failed at it, but Mazda insisted for some reason. Their loss. Don't make it your loss too. Pushing a car is great exercise but there's so many other ways to get or stay fit.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    If you are getting a dedicated track car, adopt one from someone that's moving on. It'll ideally have a log book and will be easier to deal with when it comes time to pass tech. This will save you time, and time=money.

IMO, the Wankel motor is a great idea on paper but that's where it belongs. NSU failed at it, but Mazda insisted for some reason. Their loss. Don't make it your loss too. Pushing a car is great exercise but there's so many other ways to get or stay fit.
    exercise for the car?

I hear great things about the rotary engine, if you keep up the maintenance, I found a gen 2 FC really close to me for a great price, anything obviously wrong? Any thoughts and ideas from you mazda guys out there would be greatly appreciated and thanks sd!

Cars For Sale: Car Details - AutoTrader.com

Edit: doesn't run. will keep u guys posted
    Last edited by Lbleiweiss; 09-22-2008 at 04:44 PM.
    Blob-Eye Syndicate #121 MY04 Stage 1 WRB STi
    Dirty Crew #89 like it dirty? Dirty Thread!
    "0-60 Faster Than Your First Sexual Experience!"
    Gettin Sideways At El Mirage
    The Best Video YouTube's Ever Seen!
    Courtesy of SomeGuy 217 Productions

Yea I've been looking into that for a while, it looks like they only offer collision insurance my parents are making me have liability insurance too.. I'm thinking I could just get an older rx-7 like gen1 for a grand or 2! any thoughts or ideas on that?
    Liability from what? Are they afraid the guy you might hit is going to sue you? anyway, if you need your parents permission, I am assuming you are either a minor or still under their care (ie. they are paying your bills.) I see guys suggesting you get a cheap beater to track, but that isn't going to solve your liability problem. You should try talking your folks into letting you autocross, the chances of damaging your car are very low, I've seen very few incidents in the 50+ autocrosses I've been to, a couple of broken parts, mostly on heavily modified cars. I think the only issue I have ever seen on a mostly stock car in good condition was a radiator in a BMW 3 series that sprang a leak. I've seen one "wreck" and that was a Camaro that spun out in an odd spot and hit a curb, breaking the rim. 50 autocrosses with probably an average of 90 cars doing 5 runs each is over 22,000 runs with about 5 minor incidents. Whatever you do, though, be careful asking your auto insurance agent about track insurance. There are threads out there about guys getting dropped just for asking.
    Orange cones fear me.

Yep, I'm 17. They are worried about me hitting other cars, at SCCA AutoX events they provide liability for a price I believe. But I dont think it will be a problem if I can convince them there would only be one car on the track at a time *if there really will, don't wanna lie here lol bad idea*
    Blob-Eye Syndicate #121 MY04 Stage 1 WRB STi
    Dirty Crew #89 like it dirty? Dirty Thread!
    "0-60 Faster Than Your First Sexual Experience!"
    Gettin Sideways At El Mirage
    The Best Video YouTube's Ever Seen!
    Courtesy of SomeGuy 217 Productions

Not to many worries about hitting another car at an autocross, not that it couldn't happen, don't let your folks google "wrecked gt3 autocross". And I can't think of any track or autocross event where you don't sign a waiver with language releasing your right to sue a promoter, track or participants. In fact, as a minor, your parents will have to sign a waiver also.
    Orange cones fear me.

bring a razor blade and scrape off the numbers no big deal. Have fun!
    silly peguin. pointless wings are for ricers!
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy silver View Post
    heard there is an ecu out thats like the hondata but for subbys.

if you hit a car on a drag strip with a 11 second or slower car you may bigger issues than a car accident
    silly peguin. pointless wings are for ricers!
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy silver View Post
    heard there is an ecu out thats like the hondata but for subbys.

I went to a skip barber 2 day program. It was basically learning autocross technique for a thousand+ dollars. (trail braking, heal toe, some hours on a skid pad, all that good stuff) Autocross to me is a good place to learn those things and practice them. If you buy a beater for the same cost as the school, you can teach yourself or borrow an instructor and learn techniques with more hours of fun. Thats kinda my plan to practice what I have learned over the last three years about racing, the only technique I have yet to try is a 360゜ turn. Anyone have tips?
    Fey
    2005 World Rally Blue WRX
    ~RalliTek 22mm front+rear swaybars
    (RalliTek and Whiteline endlinks)
    ~Tanabe Springs
    The Svex 1994 SVX; Going to rally it until it or I die.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

I saw that but I just figured they were like go-karts? Any idea how much a day of that would cost?
    go-karts that may hit 60mph in 3 sec. and pull 3gs laterally.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by rollinstylee View Post
    Might I suggest an SVT Contour? (I miiiiight be slightly biased. ) They have a nice flexible 2.5 V6 that responds well to very simple and inexpensive mods while still getting excellent mileage, they handle fantastically even in stock form, pretty luxurious if you also need to use it as a commuter, and they can be had in good condition in the $3000 range.
    Two words: oil starvation.

A Civic or a Miata will be cheap *and* light on consumables, something that a 3000+ lb FWD car will not.

Another two words: more oil!

The oil starvation issue is only likely to happen running at or below factory spec oil level, with the old style pan, with the engine running 6K RPM or more in extended right hand high-g sweepers. It's well known among owners that keeping 6.5 quarts of oil in the engine, and/or having the updated oil pan all but eliminates the risk. Sure, a Miata is an excellent track car but I wouldn't want one as my only vehicle! Plus I was going along with the FWD suggestion earlier in the thread. And everyone and their sister mods a Civic, that suggestion is a given. Nothing wrong with exploring alternatives for a cheap trackable DD.
    '03 WRX Wagon, almost stock
    '99 SVT Contour, not so stock

I Support ClubWRX
    Why not a track day? No chance of side by side racing, you can use your own car, and you get instruction at the same time. Safety rules are enforced, tech inspection prior to racing, and if you break it, just have it towed home. Probably the best and cheapest way for an intro to racing. Very exciting too.

BSR Inc.

Select the recreation link, then the Friday at the Track (FATT) link. You can thank me later.

FYI...a parent can even ride with you to check it out.

Every one of my kids will be doing this.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.