first 1/4 mile race!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on first 1/4 mile race! within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I ran a 14.5x @ 104.9x woot! I didnt launch at all, just mashed the gas. Just me in the ...

first 1/4 mile race!

I ran a 14.5x @ 104.9x woot! I didnt launch at all, just mashed the gas. Just me in the car, completely cleaned out, no spare tire, running 92 octane on the OTS Perrin stage 2 91oct map.

Not bad for a 4EAT that has 90K miles on it! The tranny is completely stock. No upgraded TC here.

Conditions were 62 degrees F ambient, intake temps 87 F at start, Altitude ~1100 ft above sea level. 60' time of 3.23 yikes! Need to work on that.....

That was the best of 3 runs. The others were 15.7x, and 15.4x

I think the car was learning still because the DAM advanced from 12 to 16 after the second run which i think helped with the 14.51 time.

BTW i now have a check engine light for the rear oxygen sensor.....im gonna have to call perrin about that. That shouldnt be coming up at all.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

That is really quite a respectable time with such a luke warm 60 foot time. The key to getting a good ET at the drag strip is all about getting the car to 60'. If you can get that worked out, the car is in place to really compare to other times and MPHs on the site. Unfortunately, we can't compare with your 60' times to others. But it is not an easy task to launch the awd stuff to premium numbers. The cool thing about drag racing is it is still fun even if you are not perfected. I would really like to see those times with a nice 2 flat or sub 2 60'.

Thanks! I know the 60' is something awful....

My bad. I said stage 2. I mean stage 3 Perrin map. Altough im not sure how its so special becuase you'd think with a map for an upgraded intercooler you'd see more boost.....but not me. My boost maxes out at 15.8 in third now. Go figure.....cobb OTS stg 2 runs 16.5.

Ya its a pretty bad 60' time, but im really afraid to abuse the auto tranny because its so dang expensive. Will brake boosting really hurt it? I havent heard of anyone breaking a tranny by doing it, but im guessing it does wear it out. I think with a really good launch i could see low 14's. Maybe if i get a better map with more midrange even a 13.9.

EDIT: for the nitpickers i did say i had boost of 16.3 or something in another post, but after reseting the map i cant get above 15.8 in third now. Not complaining....still plenty of power.

In my other car I brake torque'd and it worked alright. I didn't break the tranny at all, then again, I didn't do it all the time either. It was a v6 though, which would make a difference as well. With it I would brake and rev to 3k or so, and then let'er rip. I believe my 60's were in the 2.4-2.5 area with a fair amount of wheel spin (fwd ftl :/)

either way, congrats on the times, for a first time out, it's nothing to sneeze at! Like was said before, the biggest part in the 1/4 is getting your 60' time down. I know there's a bit of a formula somewhere, but I can't recall exactly, but something about each 1/10th in the 60' being worth 05.-1s in the 1/4? I'm sure someone can correct me on that one.
    Last edited by BrianMB; 08-23-2008 at 10:21 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.