VW considers joining World Rally Championship
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on VW considers joining World Rally Championship within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Ever since 2006, when Peugeot, Skoda and Mitsubishi pulled their factory works teams out of the World Rally Championship, the ...

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

VW considers joining World Rally Championship

Ever since 2006, when Peugeot, Skoda and Mitsubishi pulled their factory works teams out of the World Rally Championship, the WRC has been desperate to attract another major automaker back to reinvigorate the series. Emerging reports suggest that Volkswagen has been inquiring about joining the championship after the company's motorsport chief Kris Nissen visited the Finnish rally to meet with series officials and team leaders.

Despite being one of the largest automakers in the world, the Volkswagen Group's racing division is proportionately very small. Audi's programs in Le Mans-class prototype racing and German touring cars (DTM) stand out as the biggest exceptions, while SEAT campaigns Leons in both the British and World Touring Car Championships and Skoda in the production-car-based Intercontinental Rally Challenge. Nothing in Formula One, NASCAR or the WRC. The Volkswagen division itself only dabbles in racing periodically, with the Touareg in Dakar and the Scirocco at the Nurburgring 24-hour enduro, in addition to its low-level Formula 3 program. However, the top-tier World Rally Championship would give Volkswagen a chance to claim honors against Ford, Subaru, Citroen and newcomers Suzuki, as well as the privateer teams. Fiat and Renault have also been touted as potential additions to the WRC roster. However, only time will tell which automakers will take the big step up.

Autoblog VW considers WRC

definitely would be nice to have another Mfr in WRC
    Last edited by Weasel 555; 08-06-2008 at 07:50 PM.
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

csm
    this would be cool.

Especially if they would sell a rally version of the cars here in the US. I also think that by getting more auto makers involved, it may kindle more interest here thus leading to maybe, dare I say, TV coverage.
    An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. You would never see an ‘Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order’ sign, just ‘Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience.’ - Mitch Hedberg

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Well we already know the VW /Audi /Porsche Group has contested WRC either as Audi,Porsche,Seat,Skoda so its not like they would be coming in greeneyed etc

Wrxelent, blashphemy TV coverage

^I think we all hope someday we'll see Rally AMerica and WRC coverage on TV in the U.S.
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I Support ClubWRX
    There is one solution to the WRC's woes -- one make that needs to be convinced to return... Lancia.

VAG have gone at it under disguise since 1987 but they really ought to field Audis too, frankly.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I'm curious as to what vehicle/platform VW would use. Maybe the R32 chassis with the 2.0l I-4 turbo engine?
    I'd love to see one with a built VR6, but the ****head WRC rule makers won't allow it.

Weasel,
    VW still uses the Scirocco? Why do they use such an old platform? Or did they mean the Corrado?
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein

Some people go through their whole lives wondering if they ever made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem.
    -Ronald Reagan

csm
    I'd like to see a new class for the wrc. rwd 2 door coupes; midengined or otherwise. get back to the days of power slides and cars that looked cool.
    not that the current gen of wrc cars don't look cool; just thinking of the lancia 037 stratos days.
    and as long as we're at that, let's get more diversity in the actual events. bring back the safari. and mixed surfaces. and night stages.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mike05STi View Post
    VW still uses the Scirocco? Why do they use such an old platform?
    There was a new scirocco released in Europe, I believe.
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

Registered User JUSTINSNUTSWINGER's Avatar
    Looks nice, had an 86' back in the day that was real nice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2009-volkswagen-scirocco-1.jpeg  

Quote Originally Posted by mike05STi View Post
    I'm curious as to what vehicle/platform VW would use. Maybe the R32 chassis with the 2.0l I-4 turbo engine?
    I'd love to see one with a built VR6, but the ****head WRC rule makers won't allow it.

Weasel,
    VW still uses the Scirocco? Why do they use such an old platform? Or did they mean the Corrado?
    I was just thinking it would be some bastardized r32/rabbit/gti whatever they want to call it...

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    more pics:
    scirocco-gt24

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 002_vwsciroccogt24.jpg   006_vwsciroccogt24.jpg  
    Last edited by Weasel 555; 08-08-2008 at 10:37 AM.
    "All We'll Drive"

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    "All We'll Drive"

Not too shabby... I like em. I'd drive one here if it was available...

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    I think we all hope someday we'll see Rally AMerica and WRC coverage on TV in the U.S.
    And that night King Leonidas will be dinning on snow cones in hell.

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Boom Stick View Post
    And that night King Leonidas will be dinning on snow cones in hell.
    "All We'll Drive"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast