Autocross wear and tear

This is a discussion on Autocross wear and tear within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was just curious about wear and tear (beyond expected stuff like tires and brake pads) on the car when ...

Autocross wear and tear

I was just curious about wear and tear (beyond expected stuff like tires and brake pads) on the car when autocrossing. Have any of you guys who autocross your car regularly ever broken anything major as a result of the racing? I've only run mine once so far since I've had it, and I just wanted to know if there was anything I should look out for if I start running it more often. Once I get a 2nd set of wheels I plan to race it more often, probably every month or so. It's also my daily driver, so having it down with something big broken would be inconvenient.
    Blobeye Syndicate #035
    Cobb Stage 2

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Tie rods happen.

I think that is what I remember failing during a run (JR would remember). The WRX was rolled off on dollies. There are the occasional rare failures like these - I just happened to have a camera handy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG1872.jpg  
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    Tie rods happen.

I think that is what I remember failing during a run (JR would remember). The WRX was rolled off on dollies. There are the occasional rare failures like these - I just happened to have a camera handy.
    That's not too bad then. Besides having to get it towed home, tie rods aren't too horrible to replace. I figured it would just be suspensions parts that would break.

I'm just trying to get an idea of what to look out for and keep an eye on when doing maintenance. Regular checks of stuff like that should be able to keep breakage to a minimum. Autocross doesn't seem like it would be that much more stressful than some rather spirited street driving anyway. Where we run, it could even be less so because it's a well paved lot. No big bumps or pot holes or anything like that to put weird stresses or anything on the suspension pieces.

Worst one I've seen was an older car (can't remember what it was exactly) that was basically race prepped (stripped down, open top, slicks, etc) had one of the rear axles break right at the hub and the whole wheels and tire came off going around a corner.
    Last edited by jaqattack02; 07-31-2008 at 08:16 PM.
    Blobeye Syndicate #035
    Cobb Stage 2

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    it's reasonable to expect a little more wear and tear when autoxing- clearly pads/tires, but beyond that wheel bearings, bushing wear etc

I know that the guys that run Pro Solo are replacing clutches more often (Pro utilizes drag strip like lights and a aggressive launch), for normal autox I don't see this as getting much extra wear

I think it's wise to keep a close eye on torque specs as things can loosen up- every fall/spring I go through most every suspension/brake/drivetrain bolt/nut and insure they are to spec. I'm usually a fair bit ahead on most of my fluid changes/routine maintenance just as a precautionary measure.
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman