Anyone add a gurney flap to a wagon?

This is a discussion on Anyone add a gurney flap to a wagon? within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just wondering... I'm adding a v-spec knock off front lip and since that reduces front lift by 38% I thought ...

Anyone add a gurney flap to a wagon?

Just wondering... I'm adding a v-spec knock off front lip and since that reduces front lift by 38% I thought a little gurney flap for the rear might be nice.
    Keith
    79 Porsche 930
    07 Subaru WRX Wagon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    on the little upper wing? no one that I'm aware of

some guys running rear diffusers in the rear underneath to help w/ lift though
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Yeah, my rear diffuser will be put on soon. I wonder if the average car guy can better quantify aerodynamic improvements though. Sure if it's a huge difference and you're VERY consistent you might see a small difference in lap times, but it would be hard to statistically prove when other conditions change from track day to track day.

What do you think about taking a picture of the wheel at freeway speeds? You could use some fixed distance on the wheel (beauty cap, whatever) and compare that to the fender gap. Assuming you have linear springs you could get some information on possible forces. With my spring rates the picture would have to be accurate to 1 mm to measure 10 pounds of downforce. If the vertical size of my image was 1 meter and 2000 pixels then each pixel would be .5mm so it seems not impossible. If you take a bunch of pictures before and after you should definitely see something if the gain is better than 20 pounds. Of course you would need to make sure your car is the same weight for different runs, etc.
    Keith
    79 Porsche 930
    07 Subaru WRX Wagon

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I don't know if there is any discussion on measuring downforce (or lift) in this thread, but there is some good discussion on aero for mortals

STi wing downforce at 120+ mph? and Auto Aerodynamics - NASIOC
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Great data!
    Keith
    79 Porsche 930
    07 Subaru WRX Wagon