transmission cooler options
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on transmission cooler options within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I've heard of (at least a couple) people adding transmission coolers to cars that they track regularly. Are these all ...

transmission cooler options

I've heard of (at least a couple) people adding transmission coolers to cars that they track regularly. Are these all custom fabbed? I assume you'd need lines, a pump, etc. Are there any kits out there? If not I wonder what parts they use to make their custom kit. This is for a 5 speed 2007 wrx wagon. Thanks.
    Keith
    79 Porsche 930
    07 Subaru WRX Wagon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Its usually only the 4eat guys that need tranny coolers.

I am pretty sure that I need one since I only grind a bit when the tranny is really hot at the track. And I'm certain that it would help since tranny wear is great accelerated by heat. I know people do install them...
    Keith
    79 Porsche 930
    07 Subaru WRX Wagon

Is your car a manual or an automatic?

I know that a lot of companies make Auto trans coolers, but if you have a manual, I think you're SOL. I don't think that you should be capable of heating the trans oil that drastically to have the need for a oil cooler...

JEGS

Summit Racing

Moroso

B&M
    Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    - Winston Churchill

Ah, the patter of little feet around the house. There's nothing like having a midget for a butler.

I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.
    - W.C. Fields

Your 5MT does not have an oil pump to move the oil through the cooler. Also pumping 75W-90 is much easier said than done.

I really wouldn't think you'd need a cooler. Unlike an automatic, there really isn't much in a manual trans that builds heat.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Again since I'm experiencing something with only a hot tranny (track hot at the end of the day, not street hot), there is something temperature related. It's a 5mt and it shifts PERFECTLY on the street, but during my last track day on my last session and once or twice my second to last session it wouldn't go into 4th without grinding. Then on the drive home it was fine. This is a 4th gear syncho issue which I think is caused to some extent by 3 things big 3-4 gap which works the synchro, brass synchros which have been now updated to carbon synchros (if you order new ones they will be better as of last year, I don't think subaru changed them for no reason), and heat which lowers oil viscosity and a synchro operation depends on viscosity.
    Keith
    79 Porsche 930
    07 Subaru WRX Wagon

Then you have some bad fluid my friend. Try come cocktail?

It could be just that... but cutting out the heat couldn't hurt too. I'm not sure about a cocktail since the various additives might not play well together, I'd prefer just one fluid that's good.
    Keith
    79 Porsche 930
    07 Subaru WRX Wagon

You would have to retrofit an aftermarket pump into your transmission in order to make this work. Right there, I think you're outside the realm of reasonably feasible.

If you are having a problem with viscosity at temperature, you need to use a different fluid. Period. What fluid are you currently running?

grinding could be caused by an overheated clutch too, iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by Timdog1650 View Post
    You would have to retrofit an aftermarket pump into your transmission in order to make this work. Right there, I think you're outside the realm of reasonably feasible.

If you are having a problem with viscosity at temperature, you need to use a different fluid. Period. What fluid are you currently running?
    Stock fluid replaced at 1000 miles... So I'm thinking redline shockproof lighweight for tranny and 75w90 rear.
    Keith
    79 Porsche 930
    07 Subaru WRX Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Yargk View Post
    Stock fluid replaced at 1000 miles... So I'm thinking redline shockproof lighweight for tranny and 75w90 rear.
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/genera...ighlight=fluid

I would stick with the recommendations from BigSkyWRX and 06wrx4me that are found in that thread...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.