First autox experience

This is a discussion on First autox experience within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I went to my first autox yesterday, and for those that have not done it, you need to get out ...

Smile First autox experience

I went to my first autox yesterday, and for those that have not done it, you need to get out and do it. It was an absolute blast.

I went with a ford club (SVTOA) to Fort Devens in Ayer, MA. The track is setup on 3 runways that all intersect in a triangle. It's about a 1.6 mile long course, with some fairly high speed (top of 2nd gear) sections.

I started out pretty tentative, and really didn't know the limits of the car at all. My first couple of times around the track were like 2:29 or so. After a few runs with the instructor I was down to maybe 2:20. Constantly improving, I ended up down at 2:13. I got in 11 runs over the 7am to 5pm timeframe.

I wasn't exactly competitive in my stock wrx against a group of mustang cobra's, but I really wasn't far off of their times. The 'stangs were running 2:08 with a couple of years of experience, so I think I did pretty well.

Best time of the day went to a highly modded.... MIATA. Holy **** was this thing fast. There was a C6 Z06 running 1:54 ish, a 997 911 GT3 RS running 1:52 ish, and then the miata, 1:50. I've got a ton of pics that I'll post eventually.

I definitely have the autox bug now though, I can't wait to get out and do it again.
    '05 silver WRX
    Blobeye Syndicate #28
    Raammat Soundproof Thread
    The Octane Thread

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If anyone wants to see some pics from the photographer (who was great, by the way) check out this site
    '05 silver WRX
    Blobeye Syndicate #28
    The Octane Thread

I Support ClubWRX
    11 runs, ~1:52 best times? That is a lot of seat time!

Very you like it!

Your car looks like mine did my first season (body roll+). Stiffer springs are highly recommended.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    11 runs, ~1:52 best times? That is a lot of seat time!

Very you like it!

Your car looks like mine did my first season (body roll+). Stiffer springs are highly recommended.

TONS of seat time. That's the reason I went to the event actually. It has to be one of the best autocross events in the country in that regard.

I absolutely love it. I just signed up for the next event (August).

Definitely too much body roll. After the event I came up with a shopping list of suspension goodies. Now if I could only find about $5k...
    '05 silver WRX
    Blobeye Syndicate #28
    The Octane Thread

That's a very long course. The SCCA National Tour times at Devens were about 60 sec.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    That's a very long course. The SCCA National Tour times at Devens were about 60 sec.
    My friend who is in the SVT club that I went with talked me out of joining SCCA for that reason. From what he said, I'd never get anywhere near 11 runs in a day, and never on a course this long. Granted, SCCA has many more events so I'd be driving more often, so I guess there's a tradeoff there. Although this way I have more time to make some modifications before the next time out.
    '05 silver WRX
    Blobeye Syndicate #28
    The Octane Thread

The competition is much better.

What were the speeds like at the SVT event?
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Probably true, but I'm not at the level where I'd care yet. I've got a ways to go before I'd be competitive in my class anyway.

The course made good use of all of 2nd gear, so maybe 20-60 mph? The first few gates were setup by the miata guys, so they were really tight. I think I left it in first until about gate 5 or 6. Most of the rest course was in the power band for 2nd, and my car is stock so maybe 3k rpm and up. There was one turn that was a little too slow, I was coming out of it at maybe 2k rpm and the wonderful 2 liter is a dog down that low. After the first few runs I started downshifting going into that corner so I could come out of it in 1st.
    '05 silver WRX
    Blobeye Syndicate #28
    The Octane Thread

Man, 11 runs at 2 minutes each? I hope you have an extra set of tires if you plan on doing that very often.
    Blobeye Syndicate #035
    Cobb Stage 2

Quote Originally Posted by jaqattack02 View Post
    Man, 11 runs at 2 minutes each? I hope you have an extra set of tires if you plan on doing that very often.
    Just trying to kill the factory rubber so I can get some better shoes
    '05 silver WRX
    Blobeye Syndicate #28
    The Octane Thread