Stage 2 Wrx Average 1/4 Mile Times!!!!!!! - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

This is a discussion on Stage 2 Wrx Average 1/4 Mile Times!!!!!!! within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by RSX-->WRX I ran a 12.728 @ 104.98 with a 1.767 60'. 2011 hatch, aem intake, invidia catted ...

Quote Originally Posted by RSX-->WRX View Post
    I ran a 12.728 @ 104.98 with a 1.767 60'. 2011 hatch, aem intake, invidia catted dp and q300 catback, Torqued Performance Stage 2 map. Only my fourth run ever (in any car)... so im hoping I can squeeze out a 12.5 with a better 60'. Does a 1.6 60' seem realistic?
    Probably not on street tires.
    Contributing unsolicited, worthless opinions since 9/10...
    The project I spend all my money on.... <---- Click it

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I ran a 13.05@103.97 in my 06 Wrx Cobb protuned stage 2. With a 60ft of 1.8x, launching at 5k with launch control and street tires (hankook ventus evo v12)

I'll have to upload the slip later, I have a video too. I'm going to the track today hoping to get 12.99 after some street tuning.

Mods: Turbo Xs 4" downpipe with race pipe, srs catback exhaust, k&n short ram intake, sti tmic, subtle solutions air chimney, Go Fast Bits Hybrid BPV, built transmission with RA gear set (and slipping clutch ) Cobb Stage 2 Dyno tune and custom street tuning.

is there any reason no one mentions fuel system mods, pully upgrades, head or block upgrades? all I've seen are exhaust/intake mods with tune (abitrary levels of stages and such...I'm guessing everyone knows what the f/a ratio for the set rpms are regarding these??) I'm fairly new to tuning and am used to n/a engines as all my fun cars have been from the 70s (until I picked up my 07 wrx)... can someone explain why the exhaust modifications are so valued? like, a 4in dp on a stock turbo...what's the benefit? there's no increased pressure...(obviously a drop in the "back pressure") but the engine was built for the stock turbo or w/e...so why? I can see the use of a more freely flowing cat system and such...idk, I'm pretty lost on this.

tl:dr what the heck with exhaust? do stock turbos not affect the stability of the engine hardware when tuned for higher boost?

edit: nvm for the most part, I found the build section.

Quote Originally Posted by guillermofergu View Post
    is there any reason no one mentions fuel system mods, pully upgrades, head or block upgrades? all I've seen are exhaust/intake mods with tune (abitrary levels of stages and such...I'm guessing everyone knows what the f/a ratio for the set rpms are regarding these??) I'm fairly new to tuning and am used to n/a engines as all my fun cars have been from the 70s (until I picked up my 07 wrx)... can someone explain why the exhaust modifications are so valued? like, a 4in dp on a stock turbo...what's the benefit? there's no increased pressure...(obviously a drop in the "back pressure") but the engine was built for the stock turbo or w/e...so why? I can see the use of a more freely flowing cat system and such...idk, I'm pretty lost on this.

tl:dr what the heck with exhaust? do stock turbos not affect the stability of the engine hardware when tuned for higher boost?

edit: nvm for the most part, I found the build section.
    I saw your "nvm for the most part" comment, but just to follow up... exhaust mods are seen a lot on our cars mainly because there is a lot of power that can be gained simply by dropping the restrictive stock exhaust and doing a simple re-tune. We're talking 50-60whp depending on the year and model just by going to a turbo back exhaust and using an off-the-shelf tune. Fuel systems are not listed because quite frankly they aren't needed with our cars unless switching to a massive turbo or E85 setup. The stock pump and injectors can easily handle the demand from most "stage 2" tunes.

Quote Originally Posted by lancelot86 View Post
    I saw your "nvm for the most part" comment, but just to follow up... exhaust mods are seen a lot on our cars mainly because there is a lot of power that can be gained simply by dropping the restrictive stock exhaust and doing a simple re-tune. We're talking 50-60whp depending on the year and model just by going to a turbo back exhaust and using an off-the-shelf tune. Fuel systems are not listed because quite frankly they aren't needed with our cars unless switching to a massive turbo or E85 setup. The stock pump and injectors can easily handle the demand from most "stage 2" tunes.
    I didn't realize it was that large of a jump. I was under the impression that a catless system can boost hp by up to 20% or somethin, but I guess it's different for turbo engines? like I said, I'm used to n/a old ass engines. I probably should figure out if my wrx had a tune done with the dp that was added by the previous owner. I realize that the information is elsewhere, but what does "stage 2" mean to you?

By dropping the cats from your system you really will only see around 5-10hp or so vs the high-flow cats that come with some turbo back exhausts. Some manufacturers say up to 15whp, but I usually say 5-10hp just to be safe. I don't think going from a high flow cat to catless makes THAT big a difference unless someone could prove me wrong by showing dyno numbers. However, replacing the whole exhaust and tuning has a big effect.

If you are running a high flow catless downpipe you NEED to have that thing tuned if it hasn't been done so already. It's not good for the engine since the restriction is so much less than stock. A cat-back exhaust is fine with the stock tune, but anything past that you should be getting a tune.

"Stage 2" is something that I consider proprietary. For Cobb stage 2 means one thing, for Perrin it can mean another, and for OpenSource it can be entirely different. Hardware wise you require a full aftermarket turbo back exhaust, but the way manufacturers tune for that can be different. I went from the Cobb stage 2 tune at 15.5psi to an OpenSource stage 2 tune running 19psi. Huge difference, but technically both are "stage 2". I take "stage 2" with a grain of salt.

With that being said I don't want to hijack this thread so feel free to PM me or check out some other forums/Google search for other answers regarding this topic. Have fun!!

Quote Originally Posted by lancelot86 View Post
    By dropping the cats from your system you really will only see around 5-10hp or so vs the high-flow cats that come with some turbo back exhausts. Some manufacturers say up to 15whp, but I usually say 5-10hp just to be safe. I don't think going from a high flow cat to catless makes THAT big a difference unless someone could prove me wrong by showing dyno numbers. However, replacing the whole exhaust and tuning has a big effect.

If you are running a high flow catless downpipe you NEED to have that thing tuned if it hasn't been done so already. It's not good for the engine since the restriction is so much less than stock. A cat-back exhaust is fine with the stock tune, but anything past that you should be getting a tune.

"Stage 2" is something that I consider proprietary. For Cobb stage 2 means one thing, for Perrin it can mean another, and for OpenSource it can be entirely different. Hardware wise you require a full aftermarket turbo back exhaust, but the way manufacturers tune for that can be different. I went from the Cobb stage 2 tune at 15.5psi to an OpenSource stage 2 tune running 19psi. Huge difference, but technically both are "stage 2". I take "stage 2" with a grain of salt.

With that being said I don't want to hijack this thread so feel free to PM me or check out some other forums/Google search for other answers regarding this topic. Have fun!!
    A full exhaust actually does little for these cars... the DP is where almost all of the gain is with (supposedly) the cat back adding 5-7 whp... which for the hundreds of dollars is hardly worth the money. I have the TurboXS DP with the AEM CAI and using the virtual dyno was 305/327 ... pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    A full exhaust actually does little for these cars... the DP is where almost all of the gain is with (supposedly) the cat back adding 5-7 whp... which for the hundreds of dollars is hardly worth the money. I have the TurboXS DP with the AEM CAI and using the virtual dyno was 305/327 ... pretty good.
    In that sense you are correct. The restrictive stock DP is really where the main problem is, but very few tuners just swap the DP and leave the rest of the exhaust stock. Also, I wouldn't trust those virtual dynos as far as I could throw them.

I have a 2012 Wrx Cobb stage 2 with a 3 inch turboback, aem CAI intake, short throw w/bushings, stiffer tranny mount and pitch stop. first night ever racing i ended up doing 13 flat at 105.5 MPH Launch control at about 5.3k and flat foot shifting. my R/T was .5 LOL and 60' was 1.89
    12' WRB WRX sedan
    -Cobb Accessport- Stage 2
    -Invidia Catted DP W/Custom Catback
    -AEM CAI Intake
    -Rally Armor Urethane Mud Flaps

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456