Subaru '08 WRC car to debut in Greece(Acropolis Rally)

This is a discussion on Subaru '08 WRC car to debut in Greece(Acropolis Rally) within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; STI (SUBARU TECNICA INTERNATIONAL, President Ichiro Kudoh, based in Mitaka Tokyo), a subsidiary company of Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI), ...

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

Cool Subaru '08 WRC car to debut in Greece(Acropolis Rally)

STI (SUBARU TECNICA INTERNATIONAL, President Ichiro Kudoh, based in Mitaka Tokyo), a subsidiary company of Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI), undertaking all motorsport activities for Subaru, announced that the company will compete in Round 7 of the FIA World Rally@Championship (WRC), the "Acropolis Rally" to be held at the end of May with two of the latest evolution models of the Subaru Impreza WRC, the WRC 2008.

read more:
    Subaru WRC 08 debut

Crash.net 08 debut

Acropolis Rally

Last edited by Weasel 555; 05-27-2008 at 04:17 AM.
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I was a little surprised that they'd chosen the Acropolis, as it's so tough, but they don't have much choice. Next up is Turkey (another car breaker) and then Finland and Germany (both with their own unique challenges) so they might as well just go for it.

This should be fun (hopefully for the right reasons)

The WRC livery is definitely better looking than USRT. I bet they'll both look awesome with dents, muds, and scratches though.

Last edited by subyfanatic; 05-20-2008 at 08:31 AM.

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

*drooling

Subyfan, thanks for the pics of Travis's '08 STI
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    Subyfan, thanks for the pics of Travis's '08 STI
    Don't mention it buddy. This was from the Bay Ridge Subaru car show this past Saturday. We were glad to be a part of the event and help the dealer with other eye-pleasing goods.

NWS WARNING, just in case

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    D.A.R.E. STI and Daring Hotties ! ftw
    "All We'll Drive"

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    more pics

SWRT.com
    "All We'll Drive"

Quote Originally Posted by subyfanatic View Post
    TwI/AAAAAAAAA5w/QBKphZlP-JY/s400/SNV34101.JPG[/IMG]
    Food for thought...the gold wheels work pretty well with the red WRX...it's the same as mine but I don't have the premium package...
    2008 WRX Red (and therefore faster)
    2008 Nissan Sentra (wifes)

UK and Ex-Pats chat forum
    UK Chat Group

Wingl3ss @lliance #21

I Support ClubWRX
    On the official Acropolis Rallye site, there are press releases by ELPA in Greek and English. The Greek press release is No. 11 and is written in proper Greek. The English press release is a translation (apparently by Tarzan, King of the Jungle judging by the Grenglish phrasing and semi-literate run-ons etc.) I'd expect better press releases from an event repeatedly voted #1 worldwide by press and competitors alike, and it's disheartening to see ELPA unable or unwilling to write something up in a foreign language correctly. After all, English is among the official EU languages!

In any case, the press release notes that yellow is replaced by gray in the livery, that the car is totally new, that M. Martin worked it out, and that the 08 model is already faster than the 07 Impreza (granted, the other cars had accomplished this last year, but still, it's exciting to see the Impreza in hatch form and ready to fight at the front!).

Stages for this year remain focused around Athens, with many/most of the classics present so that addicted spectators can take up their usual spots on well-known routes.

55th BP Ultimate Acropolis Rally - 2008
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX

More news?

Looking over the list of entries (official as of early May, but not approved by FIA then) I see that SWRT are fielding two cars for Solberg/Mills and Atkinson/Prevot in Group A, Class 8 (A/8 is WRC class): Impreza WRC 07!?!?

I assume the list has since been updated given the official press releases, and we'll be seeing the P1 team with WRC08 hatchbacks.

The third Impreza in A/8 is manned by Ostberg/Unnerud and is also listed as WRC07. Does anyone know if the WRC07 car is still homologated?

Meanwhile, in Group N/4, there are 12 Imprezas, including one driven by the US driver, Pastrana (with Derek Ringer). I wonder if these guys will have the new car or will be using 07 chassis.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Spiros,
    if u scroll thru the images you will see Travis's and Derek Ringers '08STI built by VTCar for STPR coming up in June

I would assume that Travis and Derek will be running a full spec group n '08 car.
    the group n (pwrc) version car has been competeing since jan

08STI GRP N

Debut Win Jan 08

^p.s. i actually posted up about that when it happened
    Last edited by Weasel 555; 05-21-2008 at 05:25 PM.
    "All We'll Drive"

I Support ClubWRX
    Aha! Thanks for that.

Your link also provided the 2008 Group N Parts Catalogue! I recommend all 08ers look through this, it's very informative both with what parts are homologated and thus offered (suspension, brakes, motor parts, etc.) and also, or even more importantly if you will, what parts are not offered. The parts not offered should be "food for thought." Interesting parts, for example: No huge sway bars; the rallye homologation parts seem to be geared toward a "as little bar as possible" philosophy, and I'm all for that. Great reading.

I'm eagerly looking forward to the results of the Acropolis Rally. It would be dis-heartening to see the Subaru under-perform once again and since I have a vested interest in the company's success I am keeping my fingers crossed for a positive outcome. The car being faster is great but we'll see what Solberg does on the course.

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    subyfan,
    well hopefully with all the testing Markko Martin has been doing for SWRT in the 08 WRC Car(since jan) and the success of the grp n 08 car in full competition hopefully it all bodes well for the Acropolis Rally
    "All We'll Drive"

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

Cool

Subaru boss David Richards has said that he is confident the team will be able to take a 'very positive step forward' on the Acropolis Rally next weekend, when the outfit debuts its all-new Impreza WRC2008.

Testing with the Impreza WRC2008, billed as the most 'radically different Subaru World Rally Car in 15 years', has gone well in recent months and so much so that the hatchback is being rolled out earlier than initially planned.

The launch couldn't come at a better time for the Banbury-based squad either as the recent Rally d'Italia Sardegna exposed just how far behind WRC2008's predecessor was to the Citroen C4 WRC and the Ford Focus RSWRC07, with Petter Solberg and Chris Atkinson both well off the pace.

read more: Subaru back to full strength

Subaru World Rally Team duo Petter Solberg and Chris Atkinson have both been given a boost ahead of the Acropolis Rally next weekend, following confirmation that the squad will switch to using the all-new Impreza WRC2008.

Petter has had a torrid time in recent events and the Norwegian hasn't scored now since the Uddeholm Swedish Rally back in February, the second round in the World Rally Championship.

Having taken nil points from Mexico, Argentina, Jordan and Sardinia, 'Hollywood' will need a good result in Greece to kick-start his season and give his confidence a well needed lift.

read more:
    Petter I have good feeling
    "All We'll Drive"