Stick w/ STX or say it screw it and go ESP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Stick w/ STX or say it screw it and go ESP within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I've been pondering this for a little bit. The latest exhaust "clarification" certainly hasn't helped my resolve w/ STX. I ...

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

Stick w/ STX or say it screw it and go ESP

I've been pondering this for a little bit. The latest exhaust "clarification" certainly hasn't helped my resolve w/ STX.

I know that the 2.0 WRX w/o question is more competitive in STX than ESP, but a national championship has never been a realistic goal for me anyways (I'm a decent driver, don't think I'll ever be a great driver ). I think an adequately prepped WRX could hold it's own in ESP in regional/divisional competition.

ESP lets you skip any "worry" over boost and exhaust. Suspension setup would be very similar. I currently have two sets of autox rims, clearly that would still be a necessity as R compounds are a given.

SP also has a up/back date clause- so any year (wagon/sedan) bits are fair game (thinking wider track up front possibly).

SP tires are expensive (not that ST tires are cheap mind you).

With a wagon I know that 275's aren't in my future, but 245 or even 255 would be doable.

For "summer" daily driving I'd probably run basically what I am now (decently treaded hi po street tire on 8" rims). I'd want to go a little wider for competition, what's accelerating this discussion know is i think I found a nice set of SP rims, so it's time to fish or cut bait
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I think a WRX in ESP is the car to have. I would be a bit pricey to have a national prep car as I really think you would either need:

'05 car + '06 motor or '06 car + '05 trans & r. diff.

I also think that a WRX wagon really has no place in ESP since getting competitive tires under the rear fenders is about impossible.

The tires comment is about right on. You really need to have a basically dedicated set of comp tires even in ST*. With a set of 'Stones or Yoko's running about $200 or more a tire with shaving, this really starts to make running r-comps seem more reasonable. I still don't think a wagon has any business being in ESP on a national level, it may be lots of fun regionally.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

I Support ClubWRX
    clearly the 2.5 would be the engine of choice

they re-geared the 06/07's didn't they to lessen the load on the tranny- I know the final drive is higher, not sure on the rest of the gearing

tire fitment in the rear w/ the wagon is clearly a concern (at a national level anyways), my thought if I make the switch was to go w/ a 245 (maybe 255) and run a 9" rim in the front (on a sedan widened track) and a 8 or 8.5" in the rear- that's probably getting close to max'ing the wagon out tire wise

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    they re-geared the 06/07's didn't they to lessen the load on the tranny- I know the final drive is higher, not sure on the rest of the gearing
    Actually the final drive is higher. The 02-05 WRX has a 3.9, where the 06-07 have a 3.7. Hence the need to use the older trans and diff.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    tire fitment in the rear w/ the wagon is clearly a concern (at a national level anyways), my thought if I make the switch was to go w/ a 245 (maybe 255) and run a 9" rim in the front (on a sedan widened track) and a 8 or 8.5" in the rear- that's probably getting close to max'ing the wagon out tire wise
    You'd still be at a loss over those running wider tires.

It would be fun for regional events.

I've thought about it too but it was wayyy cheaper for me to stay in STX and make the exhaust legal, than it is to go to SP.

When it comes down to it I am more worried about close competition in a fairly popular class and there isn't much ESP 'round these parts anymore - most of the folks are in FS now. STX is still pretty popular though. I would not want to spend more $$ just to get slower in PAX

I dunno if the suspension would be the same - the increased grip from the R's is usually what makes people go up in spring rate.

Plus there is the increased risk of breaking drivetrain parts with the additional grip, and if you want to go all out, 3 new differentials is going to be pretty pricey.

It would be nice to stick it to the bad rules, but most likely I will end up in a stock class in 09/10 (hopefully AS/S2K) where none of it matters

I think I've said this before, but my Invidia catted DP works like a champ with the new exhaust rules. Seriously no issues, and so far *knocks on wood* my EGT probe is holding strong. Just passed PA OBDII inspection.

I Support ClubWRX
    still debating

here's a wagon guy running 275 Hoosiers

Wow, nice. Who is that? I couldn't bring myself to do the fenders...

...yet.

I Support ClubWRX
    GO esp.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    GO esp.
    You just like the wheel flares.

wow!!!! i love those tires, but those fender flares need to be painted to the color of the car. makes the car look like a jeep with the buchwacker flares on it.
    COBB FLASHED STAGE 2, UPPIPE, DOWNPIPE WITH HIGH FLOW CAT, AND FULL 3 INCH CAT BACK, 160 CRUCIAL RACING THERMOSTAT, K&N FILTER. TRACK: 1/4 MILE 13.66 102.7 MPH ON THE COBB OTS MAP

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    You just like the wheel flares.
    Yup you got me 275's are nice too.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Yup you got me 275's are nice too.
    Not only that, but Hoosiers... *drool*.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by justin.jordan2 View Post
    wow!!!! i love those tires, but those fender flares need to be painted to the color of the car. makes the car look like a jeep with the buchwacker flares on it.

I actually like it raw abs riveted to the body. Looks Awesome-o.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I actually like it raw abs riveted to the body. Looks Awesome-o.
    hahaha u said riveted!!!!!!
    COBB FLASHED STAGE 2, UPPIPE, DOWNPIPE WITH HIGH FLOW CAT, AND FULL 3 INCH CAT BACK, 160 CRUCIAL RACING THERMOSTAT, K&N FILTER. TRACK: 1/4 MILE 13.66 102.7 MPH ON THE COBB OTS MAP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast