First Autocross Experience - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on First Autocross Experience within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I changed the front sway bar and did not notice a whole lot. I think the slaloms got a little ...

I changed the front sway bar and did not notice a whole lot. I think the slaloms got a little better. But I went ahead and dropped the money for the new shocks and got those installed and the combination of those two make the stock suspension seem really crappy. I run the fronts at full firm and the rear I keep at one turn back from full firm. The seats have to be removed to adjust the rear so I don't change it very often. The sway bar is adjustitble but I have never taken it off of the stiff setting as I'm not worried about the daily commute being stiff. When I go on long jaunts, like to Danville, I put the front shocks on their softest setting or it becomes painful after about an hour.

If you replace both the shocks and swaybar it will feel like your driving a race car - which is GOOD!
    Last edited by dasherex; 05-22-2008 at 11:59 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have been in autocross for about a year and a half and have never set FTD. I'm no slouch. I've taken the courses and read the books and done what I can to the car while staying in class. I took first place Novice in my first season and 3rd place street tires in my local league in my first year.

I wasn't in to Subies until I got mine so I don't know all the specs on a 2.5RS - I just know my 06 WRX TR and it and the rest of them that year came with the 2.5 liter boxer engine.

I am running stock sized rims - Kosei K1 TS. Stock tires are 215s, my first set after that were 225's, my third set are the 245s. I didn't believe it until I saw it in Danville last year. Your average firestone or Merchants may not mount them for you - but the 245's will fit without any modifications, not too mention how sweet the car looks with the beefy tires. The koseis sit about a 16th inch off my calipers but I've never had any problems. (everything I've gotten for my car so far aside from front sway bar was bought from tirerack)

I never heard the rule about AWD and 225's being the largest allowed. It isn't in the SCCA handbook that I could find and you are the first person I've ever heard mention it. If you are restricted to 225's based on your local organization then go with the Azenis - otherwise Kumho Ecsta MX's at 245 will treat you right. I'm in the process of getting some V710's, 245/45/17, for Danville this year and the VA Championship later on in the year. I probably won't compete in street tires next year - but wanted time to figure out the car and the courses before making huge jumps.

Our average turnout for our monthly event is about 125 lately - we blame the sagging economy. I think we had 160+ at one event last year.

What adjustable shocks are you using? The only ones I've found so far are for 02-03 WRX's only.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #127
    06 WRB WRX

"I will say one thing. It is amazing how many drivers, even at the Formula One level, think that the brakes are for slowing the car down." -Mario Andretti

Koni Yellow Adjustibles - they are inserts so you have to get a mechanic that doesn't mind tearing apart your struts. But they are sooooo worth it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.