Review of sorts - Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec

This is a discussion on Review of sorts - Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I ran my first autox on them today. There was no shortage of grip even with air temps in the ...

I Support ClubWRX

Review of sorts - Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec

I ran my first autox on them today. There was no shortage of grip even with air temps in the low to mid 60s. Much more control than I am used to while running on Falken Azenis RT615s (two sets in two years). I do not think I have ever used the brake pedal as well as I was able to today. The Falkens have a tendency to start to roll over onto the sidewall; the Z1s were clearly not as likely to do so. Once I get more seat time this season I will likely find how to use the extra grip more effectively.

These tires exceeded my expectations and my driving ability today. Get them.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    This is very encouraging.

My set should have shipped from Tirerack, yesterday. I'm hoping to have them installed and ready to go Sunday at South Jersey's second AX of the season.

After running last season on beat Fuzions and this year's first event on my winter Pirelli's, I'm very excited to get on course with some grip.
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by devilfluff View Post
    After running last season on beat Fuzions and this year's first event on my winter Pirelli's, I'm very excited to get on course with some grip.
    You will be excited beyond belief.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 07-10-2009 at 06:21 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    They are installed. They were almost a full inch wider than the Fuzion ZRi's that were replaced. ~9" vs 8" across the tread

I was pleased with how stiff the sidewall feels. I will be very surprised if tire rollover is an issue at all. It did make mounting them a li'l more challenging.

I've only given them a couple of fair speed curves, but on the best hill-curve in the notoriously straight and flat area I live in, they didn't make a peep. This is even more reason for optimism.

I'll update my feelings/observations after tomorrow's SJR A-X
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    I ran my first autox on them today. There was no shortage of grip even with air temps in the low to mid 60s. Much more control than I am used to while running on Falken Azenis RT615s (two sets in two years). I do not think I have ever used the brake pedal as well as I was able to today. The Falkens have a tendency to start to roll over onto the sidewall; the Z1s were clearly not as likely to do so. Once I get more seat time this season I will likely find how to use the extra grip more effectively.

These tires exceeded my expectations and my driving ability today. Get them.
    Are you still happy with those tires ? (for AutoX, i dont care about daily driver feeling)
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

I Support ClubWRX
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    it's because they didn't review the RE-11's... The bridgestones they reviewed were crap. I cant believe they reviewed autoX tires next to them.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    After a discussion with JR, he concluded that the Dunlops & Bridgestones are different, but pretty much equal.
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon

After a discussion with JR, he concluded that the Dunlops & Bridgestones are different, but pretty much equal.
    and for street driving, I'd go with the Dunlops any day and twice on Sunday.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    and for street driving, I'd go with the Dunlops any day and twice on Sunday.
    I had the RE-01R's and they were incredible, but quite noisy. Is that what you mean when you say the dunlops are better on the street?

The RE-01Rs actually felt more comfortable than my Pilot Sport A/S that I put on for the winter. I was shocked.

So you say for DD dunlops... what about track/autoX?

I definitely know for a fact that I've never driven on a tire that was better in the rain than the RE-01R.

(BTW... I have 0 experience with the RE-11... just it's predecessor the RE-01R)
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    it's because they didn't review the RE-11's... The bridgestones they reviewed were crap. I cant believe they reviewed autoX tires next to them.
    How much are the RE-11s? They were going for affordable.

Just checked - $183 at Tire Rack. This is above the price level they were using for the test.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 07-11-2009 at 07:44 AM.
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    I definitely know for a fact that I've never driven on a tire that was better in the rain than the RE-01R.
    Have you tried the F1 GS-D3? They're the ones with the chevron pattern but without a middle groove at all, they look a lot like competition intermediates. Soft sidewall, quiet. Brilliant in the rain.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Have you tried the F1 GS-D3? They're the ones with the chevron pattern but without a middle groove at all, they look a lot like competition intermediates. Soft sidewall, quiet. Brilliant in the rain.
    They were the first tire I had on my WRX. Great street / rain tires, but a sidewall that is too soft for autox.
    Mods & Pics