Seem right for stage 2?

This is a discussion on Seem right for stage 2? within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi, I went to the 1/4 mile track for the first time in my life after installing TBE and Cobb ...

Seem right for stage 2?

Hi,

I went to the 1/4 mile track for the first time in my life after installing TBE and Cobb AP Stage 2 map on my 2007 wrx wagon. It was super busy because it was opening day at our local strip, so I only got 2 runs. My times are consistant but I pooched the R/T the first time.

Please take a look at the picture, I'm on the left on each slip. Are these times about what is expected for Stage 2 with an OTS map? I know I could do better with the 60' if I rev'd it higher and launched harder, but I'd rather not trash my clutch or trans.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails time slip 040608.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Id like to to know, bump.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

well thats not to bad for all the weight of the wagon, but it could definately get better for you. My gf said she ran 14.9 and she was a stage one with a 04 wrx sedan. so i thought that was good for her, being only at stage 1 maybe 200 whp. have you lightened ur rex at all like removed seats or anythang. its said every hundred pounds lost is 1/10 of a second less. gotta power to weight ratio.
    COBB FLASHED STAGE 2, UPPIPE, DOWNPIPE WITH HIGH FLOW CAT, AND FULL 3 INCH CAT BACK, 160 CRUCIAL RACING THERMOSTAT, K&N FILTER. TRACK: 1/4 MILE 13.66 102.7 MPH ON THE COBB OTS MAP

The wagons only weigh ~80lbs more than the sedan, so weight factors very little in his ET.

It is possible that my aftermarket exhaust (cobb dp + SPT catback) weighs a bit less, but my larger diameter sway bars probably makes up for the difference. Other than those changes, I really haven't done anything to the car.

Anyone with a similar setup that is running close to the same? Just curious if the OTS map is good enough, or how much better it could be with a pro tune.

I Support ClubWRX
    Thats reasonable given the OTS map. Remember with a FI car, track conditions, temp, humidity are big big factors. Also how long had it been since you flashed. If it was less than 200 miles, you may not have been at full dynamic advance, as it takes the ECU a while to learn its settings.

For example my runs at Cobb 91ACN stage 2 vary a lot by the day and conditions.

First day I went I hit a 13.8 with a 1.825 60ft. But it was 60 deg ambient temp.

>> very firm precise launch (best I feel can be done with the 5MT)

2nd time I went I had just installed Cobbs LC stage 2 ACN map, less than 100 miles on the flash, 90 deg ambient and ran a 14.21, 14.22, 14.25 consecutively.

>> smooth medium launches (LC takes out the guess work)

This was with Stage 2 dyno'd at 203 WHP and 223whtq on a mustang Dyno.

I'm betting my protune stage 2 would be around a 13.2 easy as I picked up 40whp and 66.6 whtq, and shifted/smoothed the curves significantly.
    Last edited by 06wrx4me; 04-09-2008 at 04:05 PM.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dspowersports View Post
    Anyone with a similar setup that is running close to the same? Just curious if the OTS map is good enough, or how much better it could be with a pro tune.
    No doubt a protune is the way to go. I had just as big a jump from stock>>stage 2 as stage2>>protune. Seat of the pants dyno was very impressed, especially for only $300. IMO protune should be considered stage 3.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    At sea level, a stage 2 WRX should be into the mid to high 13's easily. Some folks get low 13's with it. What is the elevation of your track?

It is hard to compare the two runs with the missing data for the right hand slip. But from what I could see, it looks like you might be shifting either too slowly, or at too high an RPM. Your trap speed went up 1 MPH on the right, but you kept about the same ET. This is pretty significant, and since your 60ft was only off by a tenth between runs, this tells me the difference is in your shifting. With a 1 MPH trap speed difference, you should be seeing a larger difference in your ET.

Based on your trap speed, I see a 13.6 (at least) with a good launch.

Did you post your times in the 1/4 mile listing?
    Last edited by YBNormal07; 04-10-2008 at 05:02 AM.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I know I need a little more consistancy, but it sounds like at 60 degrees F at about 200ft above sea level I could be a little better.

I only had about 100 miles on the car after installing the TBE and OTS map. Maybe with more time for the ECU to learn it will run even better.

It was definetly a fun experience to see how it would perform. And the fact that my wagon beat my friend's time in his 2003 Cobra the first run was great. Too bad he missed 3rd. But he was mad nonetheless. That was the best part.

Quote Originally Posted by justin.jordan2 View Post
    well thats not to bad for all the weight of the wagon, but it could definately get better for you. My gf said she ran 14.9 and she was a stage one with a 04 wrx sedan. so i thought that was good for her, being only at stage 1 maybe 200 whp. have you lightened ur rex at all like removed seats or anythang. its said every hundred pounds lost is 1/10 of a second less. gotta power to weight ratio.
    my 04 sedan can run 14's flat? and im all stock